Hammerli 850 Magazines Breaking =(

Hello; 

Happy to be here as we've been enjoying this fun airgun for about a month but unfortunately we're having some problems and would ask those more knowledgeable than I. The rubber rings on the magazines seem to break in no time at all. 

The other problem we're experiencing is that the loading mechanism gets stuck and is very hard to feed, for lack of a better term you have to force the pellets into the barrel when it loads. 

Mechanism seems OK without a magazine in the chamber. I shook it, checked it, nothing stuck in there but from new it was like that. 

Are these problems normal? 

Can the magazine rings be replaced? 

How do I prevent this poor/forceful cycling of pellets into the barrel through the magazine?

You can easily replace the mag o-ring.
Don't remember the size # I used but here is info I found on the yellow

"7/8" ID x 1/16" will work fine, the factory size is 19mm ID x 1.5mm CS."

Sounds like you either bent the bolt or your pellets are canting as you chamber them. What pellets are you using? I have found the best to be the 14.3 JSB for me. Looking at the tail end of the pellets you will see the hole goes thru the necked down section. Pellets like the CPHP are horrible. They have a "flat" inside the pellet skirt and the probe won't "self center" the pellet, if that makes sense.

Here is a great resource for the 850's. I love mine, got a 17ci bottle and tuned it for 940fps with the 14.3jsb. Can get 9 mags on a fill

http://www.network54.com/Index/84463

Reactions: bettega
BigTinBoat;

Wow, what a wonderful and informed response.

The whole reason why I got the Hammerli Airmagnum was for my 8yo son who could enjoy it without having me cock it every time.

I bought a bunch of Crosman CPHP pellets because a cursory web search showed them to be the ideal type and weight and that was what Pyramid Air suggested on their website. Sadly I bought a *TON* on the other hand I have a break barrel whose lower rate of fire doesn't dissuade me as I enjoy the performance.

I also posted on the other forum as well.

Thanks for the suggestion
B

The magazine orings are notorious for breaking. I have read that regularly spraying them with silicone keeps them in good shape.
I think it was the .22 was prone to bending the loading probe. Apparently its easy the bend back. Check out the Hammerli 850 yellow forum for information on how to bend it back. I think there is a way to keep it from bending again.

Thanks for the suggestion and I started reading on network 54 but every "mod" or "fix" pretty much loses me 5-10 words into the first line. I am a fairly intelligent person but not terribly mechanically inclined unless I really have to. But this is so unfamiliar to me that working on it myself would be an invitation for disaster.

Thanks though. Wish I had known about these problems ahead of time. Very fun gun but looking back I don't think I would have bought it.

O-rings breaking on magazines can be fairly common on quite a few guns especially if you live in a climate that lends itself to dry rotting rubber. Hammerli must have known the problem and went to a rubber band on the Rotex magazines. Manufactures are learning how to get the max performance out of the guns with ultra thin probes. The .177 shooting at 760 fps is very impressive for C02 considering its gas efficiency. If you look at the probe on the 850 and it is like a needle.
I had to send my first 850 back because it suddenly lost velocity and the magazines wouldn't reliably cycle. My second gun has been flawless. ​You may consider sending yours back for an exchange.
Don't be discouraged. A lot of guns have issues right out of the box. ​

I know that this is an old thread but it is the only one I could find that deals with the Hammerli 850 loading probe. My probe was continually bending when re-chambering a pellet. I bent it back several times which I guess weakened the probe which broke. I realize by reading this thread that I need to change to a different pellet but I am having a hard time locating a new probe assembly. Any recommendations?