• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hammerli 850 AM Target Sights

I have a Hammerli 850 on the way to me in the mail. I have not seen one in person before but the specs indicate it has an 11mm groove on the receiver. I cannot tell how the front sight is affixed.

I want to use it for target shooting at 10 meters in my backyard. Though not formal competition, it is my idea of fun to use target type sights, albeit inexpensive ones. I would like to install a diopter rear and a globe front sight with inserts. I see there are sight sets made by various companies, like Air Force, Crossman, Venturi, etc for about 1-2 hundred bucks, but I cannot tell from the info online whether they would work on the 850, so I don't know if installation would be a problem or if the height of the front and rear sights would work on this rifle.

I would very much appreciate any advice or suggestions on whether I can do this, and if so, with what specific sights. Thanks.

well I have been look at your project and the first thing you have to do to move forward is solve the problem of mount the front globe sight

there are no dovetails and the barrel at 15.2? mm you will have to come up with something

height is another problem, the rear sight height has to be close to the front sight height

I for one have boxes of stuff that didn't work on this idea and that idea and have a good imagination and 2-850's and I'm not sure how I would do it

and I have front sights and diopters sitting here

so the bottom line to my point is, could it be done YES, will it be easy NO, could you get it right the first time, well maybe, chances are slim

you have to get the front sight mounting figured out FIRST

Daisy has a slip over system but I don't know the ID, Daisy 853 have a mount but the barrels are in the 10+mm range could they be bored out to fit, with the right tools

so you see from my point of view, ideas are just that until all the problems are solve

good luck and I guess I will have to look at do you idea to mine to see what could be done and my first problem is mounting a front sight 

good luck and take care

mike

Thanks Mike. I have been on the internet and the phone much of the afternoon trying to sort it out without luck. Calls to various suppliers did not produce a solution.

The rear diopter is easy because of the 11mm grooves on the receiver but I got hold of a schematic of the rifle and there does not appear to be grooves on the barrel. 

The stock front sight appears to fit in a dovetail in the base on the muzzle. I do not have the rifle to look at until Friday but I have been unable to determine the dovetail size. I assume it will also be 11mm and have not been able to find a globe front sight with an 11mm dovetail. I also looked for a riser that might convert the 11mm dovetail base into a 3/8" base but no luck.

There is a Lyman globe for blackpowder that is said to be made for a European base but no specific size is listed.

And then there is the issue with matching the height of the front and rear. So, not sure at this point. 

well this would work but the ID will have to be enlarged to fit and these are steel so a good drill press or someone with a lathe would be the ticket 

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=5901

and one of these to get you started

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=5996

the ID difference is about 3/16 give or take

the barrel weight also rises the front sight to better be in the right height as the rear but this is untried and a bit speculative on my part

if you have a dovetail on your 850 it is news to me, mine don't have dovetails, just took a front sight off nada 

any side clamping diopter should be fine

so your idea has been put on me project list, just what I need LOL

I cant get it to upload but the schematic makes it look like the sight assembly has a base that attaches (screws in?) to the barrel and has a dovetail on top and the upper portion of the assembly fits into the dovetail. I got this from a tech at Umarex and maybe it is the wrong one. He had no suggestions on how to do this. I thought if I could remove the top part of the assembly and be left with a base that has a dovetail on top it would be a good start but you have the rifles on hand so I am going with what you say about that.

Thanks for the links. That is the rear sight I was planning to go with. But as you say, the tough nut to crack is that front sight.

Maybe I should just buy an actual 10 meter rifle so I can have the sights I want, all I need is to find a few thousand spare dollars.

well you will have to use the barrel as a fixed point and see how the factory sights sit on the rifle, I checked my 850's front sight height at the optic rod and it is at 18 to 20 mm

a Kimber 82 front sight that is used on a Diana 75 TO1 is 19mm from clamp to center, so a sight like that would be fine for the factory rear sight

but now you have to know where a diopter might set compared to the factory rear sight, it will take a bit of flying by the seat of the pants but close should be fine

seeing my barrel doesn't have a dovetail for a globe sight I can't mock it up on mine

I did send you an email message on this forum and we can deal with ideas directly if you like

happy to help

mike

Well, the end of the story. I decided to shoot the gun a bit before attempting any mods, and I did, for all of two days. 

The balance and fit of the rifle is great, the factory sights are the best I have tried since getting old man eyesight, the accuracy was outstanding and the trigger was sweet. I got this used in a trade and I have to assume the prior owner tuned the trigger because it was just too good for a factory trigger.

I was a bit hesitant to try to improve the sights because, well to put it mildly, I am decidedly unhandy. Figuring out how to operate a door knob can be a challenge for me and the more info I got on how to install target sights the more over my head I got. 

Then the rifle quit on me. The bolt suddenly stopped cocking on pull back.

I researched this online and learned it is a common issue. I think I even know the exact moment I caused it by trying to use a bit of force to chamber a recalcitrant pellet. I also have read how to solve it. It is clear to me that the disassembly and reassembly required is beyond me. So, I called Umarex but it will cost me just shy of $70 for shipping there and back, and service charge to determine the problem, before we even get to parts and labor for repair.

So I am done with this gun, love it though I do. I would pay that amount if I had bought it new but not for a used trade gun. Anyone know a private handy person who would fix this for less? Or perhaps I could sell it for parts.

did you just stuff 2 pellets in the barrel

you see when you have something broken, not work, or other, you can not mess it up, so setting the rifle in the corner isn't going to solve your rifle problem

so that leaves you or your money and we all had to tie our shoes maybe it is time to learn how to work on that 850

can you make it worse no, could it be in smaller piece maybe but there are great internal pictures on this rifle

email me and we can see, if together we can work it out

[email protected]

I'm in Bellevue, Washington

if you did double load it clear the barrel with a long something

there is an end to this story and I guess I will tell it Steve took the rifle apart and found a pellet in the guts jamming the bolt and the how it got there is not known to me but I did some show and tell to help

now the Hammerli 850 comes with fiber optic sight but not target and it seem some people like them and I am not one of them but after looking for to long I found what is needed to put on a globe sight on at PA and I don't know why I did look there first or second

and target fiber optic sights do my knowledge don't exist, open fiber optic sight do, never seen a globe fiber optic sight, a fiber optic front sight with a cover doesn't really count but what do I know

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Venturi_Muzzlebrake_with_Grooves/5875

and I bought there last 2 in stock one for a 850 and one for a Diana Chaser that I'm doing or trying to do once all the bits and pieces get to me but that is another project