• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crosman Hammer spring vs valve spring 2240

Hey y'all,

I've converted my Crosman 2240 to hpa. It's on a reg'd 13ci bottle at 1500 psi. I put in a light valve spring and a 1377 hammer spring. I've noticed when the bottle psi reaches 1100/1200 psi (yes I know it's off the reg at that point but if I'm just plinking that's fine, I'd never do any pesting off the reg because I don't know where my fpe is), the valve stays open and dumps all the air out of the barrel. I realize this is because the hammer spring is too heavy for the valve spring and lower pressure.

With this setup I'm able to get around 815fps. With cphp's. I think I need to go back to where I started with the factory valve spring and factory hammer spring. I am working on a hammer spring adjuster. I want to be able to dial back the fps to 500/600 fps when I'm shooting indoors at paper and take it up to 800+ outside when I'm hammering critters.

Should I start with a heavier hammer spring first or a lighter valve spring. I think my mistake was lightening the valve spring and putting in heavier hammer spring at the same time before introducing the adjuster. Too much too fast....

Hey y'all,

I've converted my Crosman 2240 to hpa. It's on a reg'd 13ci bottle at 1500 psi. I put in a light valve spring and a 1377 hammer spring. I've noticed when the bottle psi reaches 1100/1200 psi (yes I know it's off the reg at that point but if I'm just plinking that's fine, I'd never do any pesting off the reg because I don't know where my fpe is), the valve stays open and dumps all the air out of the barrel. I realize this is because the hammer spring is too heavy for the valve spring and lower pressure.

With this setup I'm able to get around 815fps. With cphp's. I think I need to go back to where I started with the factory valve spring and factory hammer spring. I am working on a hammer spring adjuster. I want to be able to dial back the fps to 500/600 fps when I'm shooting indoors at paper and take it up to 800+ outside when I'm hammering critters.

Should I start with a heavier hammer spring first or a lighter valve spring. I think my mistake was lightening the valve spring and putting in heavier hammer spring at the same time before introducing the adjuster. Too much too fast....
Hi
Go back to original hammer spring with adjuster if no joy put original valve spring back in aswell and go from there.
To heavy hammer spring isn't very good as cocking lever are small and prone to snap unless stainless steel..
I'm sure original with adjuster will get you more or less there if valve been modded

Hi bud
Start at the beginning then work your way up its easier that way instead of chasing your tail/ it'll pay off in the end.
So many mods on these little pistols come carbine/ come rifle lol
If you find your using to stiff a hammer spring to get power up/ alter the valve poppet and transfer port.
The web is full of crosman valve modification information.
Beware it can be a bottomless money pit so dont fall into the trap/ keep it simple with things you can do for nothing

Hi bud
The multi shot breech will finish your gun off so a new barrel is worth the few
bucks more
Just buy
Breech / barrel/hammer spring adjuster
Modify the valve yourself if it needs it
Otherwise you will get hooverd into the crosman custom department and that's when you will be lucky to leave with the shirt on your back comprenda
DO NOT ENTER⛔