• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hammer lube?

Got a little gritty feel to my cocking on fx wildcat. Took out hammer spring and brass piece and put lithium on it.. smooth as butter for about 3 mags. And now gritty.. so took out the actual hammer this time.. put on grease lol.. too thick. Pulled trigger and had about 5 psi come out. Makes since I guess. Anyways.. what's the best thin lube that last? Moly?

No lube. Polish the hammer and the bore and all will be good
1f44d.svg

+1 ☝ 👍

YO!

I have good luck with the polishing of the hammer and its corresponding surfaces. I then give the hammer a VERY,VERY light coat of dry moly spray (More is NOT Better!!) and assemble.

Any more lube than this (Or worse,grease)just invites dirt/grit and has a tendency to introduce higher standard deviation. Plus,too much moly just makes a big mess,especially when it's time to service your airgun.

Hope this is of help. Have fun!

Mike

Rifles of different designs require different maintenance. Why not call FX and ask them? I once had very erratic velocity performance from my RAW HM1000. The maker told me to clean the hammer assembly and lightly lube with a synthetic oil, such as Mobil One automotive oil. That's what i did, and it has been perfect since. But, that hammer assembly is very different from yours. I don't mean to be critical of any responses you may receive here, but, if the best answer is a phone call away, why not take advantage of it? 

"I have good luck with the polishing of the hammer and its corresponding surfaces. I then give the hammer a VERY,VERY light coat of dry moly spray (More is NOT Better!!) and assemble."

Absolutely!...Works very well!

I am a little hesitant about NOT using any kind of lubricant given the possible wear in between two non-lubricated metal parts...Oils initially work fine but tend to accumulate dust/grime and soon fail causing inconsistencies in velocities, more in some guns than others.

Regards,

AZ

I have always used some light machine oil on my hammers a drop or two every year or so keeps things running really smooth. My guns seldom see much in the way of dust or other contaminants so there is not much of a build up. Marvel oil turns to goo after a few years though so I quit using it. I only clean the oil out if I happen to be werqing on the gun.