• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HAM Article “Sightron SIII FT Scope 10 – 50 x 60 Test Review” Question

Although I’m not the brightest bulb in the box, I find this scope’s HAM rating perplexing. A 94% gold award rating? I find this questionable when the average of the specific (categorical) ratings of specification, function, value, manufacturer’s claims, etc. comes to 75.71% This is very misleading to me. Any thoughts on why this may be? Is this a poor attempt at shilling or what?

Source (Article written by Stephen Archer. Scope tested by Doug Rogers and Stephen Archer): https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/sightron-siii-ft-scope-10-50-x-60-test-review/

As I view this review I look at the Like vs Don't Like comments. The 3 things in the Like are the 3 thinks most important to me in a rifle scope. As far as the Don't like, weight is meaningless to me, NO distance markings on paralexx knob....I want to mark it by what MY eyes see. I have a SSV ED 10X50X60. Absolute brightest scope I have ever looked through. After 3 years of lots of rounds and constantly adjusting of distance it has remained rock solid.

I shoot a Sightron 10-50x on my TX200 in field target.
In comparison to scopes I've shot in competition: Falcon 10-50, Hawke 10-50, Delta Stryker 10-50, Leupold 40X, Bushnell 8-32x, Vector Sentinel 10-40, etc

Even with all its flaws, the Sightron is definitely top two. Some days it's numero uno (a testament to the number of shooters using Sightrons to shoot WFTF in world competition)

Don't know why HAM's review sub ratings doesn't reflect the final 94% gold award...printing error?

Last edited:
It is a great scope but the numbers do make sense. Its a $1500 optic, which isn't cheap, but it is still a mid range quality optic. You aren't going to get 80s, 90s, and 100s across the board without dropping an additional $500-$1000+ and getting into the real high end stuff.

I'm fairly certain the 94% Gold Award is based on value for the money, which probably should have been stated in the article. That being said you can also get a Falcon X50 10-50x60 from Krale for about $850 shipped plus an additional $60 in US duty taxes. THAT is a great value.

Reactions: RicL
I shoot a Sightron 10-50x on my TX200 in field target.
In comparison to scopes I've shot in competition: Falcon 10-50, Hawke 10-50, Delta Stryker 10-50, Leupold 40X, Bushnell 8-32x, Vector Sentinel 10-40, etc

Even with all its flaws, the Sightron is definitely top two. Some days it's numero uno (a testament to the number of shooters using Sightrons to shoot WFTF in world competition)

Don't know why HAM's review sub ratings doesn't reflect the final 94% gold award...printing error?
What are some of the flaws of the Sightron? What makes it top for you compared to the others?

What are some of the flaws of the Sightron? What makes it top for you compared to the others?
(The older Sightrons, bought mine 7? years ago) Their turret tends to wear out with extended use. Especially if used in field target when a competitor clicks for each shot (and multiple times during practice). Don't know if this issue has been fixed in the newer versions. This has forced me to use mil-hash to aim (not ideal in precision shooting type competitions)

(The older Sightrons) Are temperature sensitive (Which scope isn't? March?). Although most say Sightron temp shifts are predictable. Since I don't click any more, the issues is mainly ranging in FT. I haven't subjected mine to controlled heat conditions to plot ranging shifts (then actual field conditions to verify the shifts). Now I just guesstimate when the temp goes up.

Should not have sold my Delta Stryker (I heard it did quite well in South Africa). Sigh...Wished I had it back to compare.

Been using the Falcon a lot on my backup and clicking with it. Too bad it's not illuminated and subjectively, the temp shift on the Falcon seems more compared to the Sightron. Definitely easier to aim and hold off for wind when you are clicking.

Bottom line. If I was going to shoot in a FT range (with dark face plates or low light condition-inside dark bushes, temps in the 80-90) I would still choose the Sightron. Until my budget department gives me the green light to buy and test out a March.

Last edited:
Reactions: MysticalDragon
(The older Sightrons, bought mine 7? years ago) Their turret tends to wear out with extended use. Especially if used in field target when a competitor clicks for each shot. Don't know if this issue has been fixed in the newer versions. This has forced me to use mil-hash to aim (not ideal in precision shooting type competitions)

(The older Sightrons) Are temperature sensitive (Which scope isn't? March?). Although most say Sightron temp shifts are predictable. Since I don't click any more, the issues is mainly ranging in FT. I haven't subjected mine to controlled heat conditions to plot ranging shifts (then actual field conditions to verify the shifts). Now I just guesstimate when the temp goes up.

Should not have sold my Delta Stryker. Sigh...Wished I had it back to compare.

Been using the Falcon a lot on my backup and clicking with it. Too bad it's not illuminated and subjectively, the temp shift on the Falcon seems more compared to the Sightron. Definitely easier to aim and hold off for wind when you are clicking.

Bottom line. If I was going to shoot in a new FT range (with dark face plates or low light condition-inside dark bushes, temps in the 80-90) I would still choose the Sightron. Until my budget department gives me the green light to buy and test out a March.
Thank you for the feedback and inputs. Its appreciated.