• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Half shroud on a Marauder for better accuracy

I shot all three Marauders outside at 30 yards today. The Black Flies were intense up there at the range. Winds were changeable but we were in one of the pistol berms so there was some protection down the side to the right. I'm still working with the .22 regulated FT with Lothar barrel and Hill tight barrel band to see if it is going to be ok or if I should bother to ask Crosman to send me another barrel. Take it apart to clean and polish the barrel? Sell it and buy a Daystate or FX?

It is tuned to about 22 fpe right now which is the most you can get out of it with the way the regulator was implemented. Maybe a bit more if you took it apart to turn up the reg pressure. But it is said to have almost no plenum and was really designed for the 20 fpe max of Field Target competition. It doesn't really like the H&N FTT 14.66 or Hunter Extreme or Baracuda Green 12.35. The JSB Hades did .665" so a little over 2 MOA already. One group of JSB 14.35 did .477" but the first group with those was .673". It shoots the JSB 15.89 at 790 fps and did .545" in the second attempt. The JSB 18.13 did .497" but they are slow at 750 fps. I was shooting from the cheap Allen vise and need to get a bipod on it which might be a little better.

1588466374_17753479275eae12c6983995.95845918.jpg

All of these Marauders seem to like a tight hold I found out.

I didn't spend much time with the .25 but shot one clover leaf group with one shot out to the right. And played with some GTO lead free just for fun and although they load REALLY HARD in .25, I got a respectable group of .428" at the top right. I wanted to get out to 50 and 75 yards with it today but the rifle range was busy all day with a trap shoot and then rifles.

I shot the .177 FT with Crosman barrel with a piece of foam pushing the half shroud up against the top of the band to simulate the HIll barrel band without spending money today and got some good groups. Although I think I got a POI shift to the left after one of the refills. Might try two pieces of foam at 120* instead of the single piece pushing up. It shoots at a respectable 17 fpe. The second group with the JSB 10.34 at about 860 fps had one open it up to .297. The other 4 would be .250 for way under 1 MOA at 30 yards. It shot the Baracuda 4.50mm at .333" and didn't like the Baracuda 4.52 at all. The Crosman 10.5 were ok also along with JSB 8.4 which were probably a little too fast at 950 fps?

1588467786_1326734325eae184a3c1b38.00760848.jpg

No photos but we also got our pumping exercise playing with my brother's new Benjamin Bulldog 357. Actually very nice for the money. Shoulders well and has a great trigger right out of the box. Don't want to shoot it too many times without hearing protection. The report is tamed by the shroud but the wicked valve ping comes right in your ear and up from your cheek bones.Someone left some bowling pins. A Nosler will bury itself right up to the base.The cheap air venturi slugs work well and the Griffin boat tail 115gn explode on contact. 8-9 good shots from 3000 to 2300 and the curve of the tune was perfect. The Benjamin pump works great.