• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

hades vs slugs at short range at low power- are they effective?

we all know both of these are very effective at power settings. I'm just trying to ascertain if either of these will undergo proper expansion at low power settings . like inside a barn where you don't want to put holes in the walls. Iff you set your guns power way down will both of these projectiles act basically like a standard pellet with minimal expansion? I left out polymags because they can be too long for a good number of guns. So , would either the hades or slug have their usual great impact results at a low power setting? By low power figure 15-20 FPE with a 25 cal gun. or 570-600 FPS velocity

I shoot hades at about 22 FPE through the Kral PB @ min power. I get 50-55 shots of usable power with minute of pest accuracy and am 100% comfortable at up to 65 yards with them. I would have to open the gun to de-tune any lower. I get some pass through on the ground squirrels - usually on the head shots. There just is not enough mush mass stop the pellet. Vitals shots sound like a watermelon thump. Distinctly more thump than round nose.

I am kind of in the same boat currently setting up a crown mk2 at 15fpe for closer range back yard pesting, I am looking to try the hades and the h&n barracuda extremes but mine is .22 once I get it tuned in I was going to get a ham are some sort of meat and have it backed by a piece of wood and see how they do, most slugs may require more to mushroom but have heard the varmint knockers and the griffin slugs are softer and can open at slower speeds.

The Hades I’ve recovered showed no appreciable expansion, even at much higher velocity. Apparently if your quarry is jugs of water or blocks of gel, they expand. But in a live squirrel they don’t and I don’t know how it would be any different with a pigeon, especially at such a low velocity. Granted the head profile is slightly blunted so they wouldn’t be as apt to punch through tin as a dome, but still more than a wadcutter. 

Like Metalmaniac said, a wadcutter is really the best answer for this scenario. The rub in this case is the caliber. I’m not aware of any commercially available ones in .25. Pyramyd’s parametric search returns none. That being the case, a semi-wadcutter like the Hades or Baracuda Hunter Extreme is probably the closest you’ll get. Their characteristics seem to land about halfway in between a dome and wadcutter. 

Personally I would reach for a .22 or even a .177. At least 4 benefits:
1. less air consumption means more opportunity to get the noise level down and work in relative stealth
2. wadcutters produce more tissue damage (closes the gap with a larger caliber)
3. wadcutters present less risk of penetrating the tin
4. cheaper

I have not tried to recover a Hades or any other pellet yet from a live target. I can say that the noise on impact of the Hades ((as well as the PolyMags) is different and louder. The starlings, squirrels and rabbits I have tried them on seemed to have fewer pellets exit as compared to round nosed pellets. It is just my observation and memory that the animals seemed to kick less or flap wings less after the shot. If it works that's good enough for me.

Jim

I have not tried to recover a Hades or any other pellet yet from a live target. I can say that the noise on impact of the Hades ((as well as the PolyMags) is different and louder. The starlings, squirrels and rabbits I have tried them on seemed to have fewer pellets exit as compared to round nosed pellets. It is just my observation and memory that the animals seemed to kick less or flap wings less after the shot. If it works that's good enough for me.

Jim

"good enough for me". All that matters for each shooter.

Hades really need a lot of inertia behind them to make them expand on soft targets. Slugs will definitely expand better at slower speeds, just due to the fact that they have a big hollow point with very soft lead. There is so little strength holding the nose of a slug up, that even throwing it at a wall would cause it to expand if it hit nose first... thats why hollow point bullets have been used for years. 

I think a lot of people have great success with hades at low power because its already way more damage than they need. Starlings for example, you can kill them stone dead with a BB pistol.. they die if you just look at them harshly, so yeah anything you hit them with will do the job very well... we used to kill them as kids by hiding in a bush by the feeder and shooting them with folded up pieces of paper launched from a rubber band between your fingers. 
Rabbits are another, their fur and skin are very soft so it takes little to penetrate and kill a rabbit. Hit them in the vitals and you'll kill them stone dead with a 7gr 177 pellet. 

I know this is an apples to oranges thing. My .22 with NSA 17.5s whips right through everything, it's running about 25fpe. My .25 doesn't always exit with a Hades. The .25 is dialed down yet making 49 fpe and change. Before I got into the PCP guns we were using some springers. I was often not happy with the accuracy of the higher powered springers and used the HW 55. Body shots were out with any pellet in the cabinet. However an ear hit did the trick every time. My fave was to wait for a quartering away shot. Of course your results may vary.

Jim

I know this is an apples to oranges thing. My .22 with NSA 17.5s whips right through everything, it's running about 25fpe. My .25 doesn't always exit with a Hades. The .25 is dialed down yet making 49 fpe and change. Before I got into the PCP guns we were using some springers. I was often not happy with the accuracy of the higher powered springers and used the HW 55. Body shots were out with any pellet in the cabinet. However an ear hit did the trick every time. My fave was to wait for a quartering away shot. Of course your results may vary.

Jim

Really? I'm using those slugs in my gauntlet at 24fpe and they stay in a squirrels head at 15-50 yards. Absolutely lights out the squirrels and makes jelly of their head, but hardly ever comes out the back side.