• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hades and homemade ballistics gel

This is interesting. I have seen another topic on this comparing the hades and pollymags. One thing I often wonder is how well they expand at farther distances. around the 80-100 yard range. At that distance would they even expand much, or even at all? Lets say this is with fps ranges of about 800 to 950. So is the cost of the hades pellet worth it over a standard domed pellet if shooting at farther distances? I know another AGN member mentioned that a domed pellet works fine when bagging a critter regardless of it not being designed to expand like others. I will say that im a sucker for buying pellets that are designed to expand and I still shoot them out to 80+ yards. Not sure what is really going on at those kind of ranges with expansion though.

Generally HP pellets only get good expansion out to about 60 yards. They still smack critters harder than domes at the longer ranges but just won't expand to their full potential. 

The pellet design loses speed very quickly which is required to hit hard enough to expand the lead. Testing showed a pellet shot over 900fps lost about 200 fps at 60 yards. At that range/speed, recovered Baracuda Hunters barely began to opened up.

Thank you very much. I was wondering about that and figured with the energy loss the pellet would not open at greater distances. 

This is interesting. I have seen another topic on this comparing the hades and pollymags. One thing I often wonder is how well they expand at farther distances. around the 80-100 yard range. At that distance would they even expand much, or even at all? Lets say this is with fps ranges of about 800 to 950. So is the cost of the hades pellet worth it over a standard domed pellet if shooting at farther distances? I know another AGN member mentioned that a domed pellet works fine when bagging a critter regardless of it not being designed to expand like others. I will say that im a sucker for buying pellets that are designed to expand and I still shoot them out to 80+ yards. Not sure what is really going on at those kind of ranges with expansion though.

Generally HP pellets only get good expansion out to about 60 yards. They still smack critters harder than domes at the longer ranges but just won't expand to their full potential. 

The pellet design loses speed very quickly which is required to hit hard enough to expand the lead. Testing showed a pellet shot over 900fps lost about 200 fps at 60 yards. At that range/speed, recovered Baracuda Hunters barely began to opened up.

Thank you very much. I was wondering about that and figured with the energy loss the pellet would not open at greater distances.

You're very welcome. It just so happens I've been helping a friend do some pretty cool testing on how much energy is being deposited in critters with airgun projectiles. 

Taking chrony numbers at different ranges and chrony numbers after passing through a very consistent media. Slugs and pellets. Then verified on ground squirrel cadavers. Also capturing the projectiles for performance inspection. We now have real numbers and hard data to reference. I'm sure my friend will be doing an awesome post on it before long.