• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hades and homemade ballistics gel

This is interesting. I have seen another topic on this comparing the hades and pollymags. One thing I often wonder is how well they expand at farther distances. around the 80-100 yard range. At that distance would they even expand much, or even at all? Lets say this is with fps ranges of about 800 to 950. So is the cost of the hades pellet worth it over a standard domed pellet if shooting at farther distances? I know another AGN member mentioned that a domed pellet works fine when bagging a critter regardless of it not being designed to expand like others. I will say that im a sucker for buying pellets that are designed to expand and I still shoot them out to 80+ yards. Not sure what is really going on at those kind of ranges with expansion though. 

I think a heavier grain weight Hades, in .30 caliber (at that speed at 30+ yards), will open up more and be even more efficient at transferring energy to the game (or ballistics gel in this instance), instead of producing little expansion and a near pass-through. I am waiting patiently for the Hades in .30 caliber to come out later this year. TimeBabbit, better make a longer block of gel for that .30 caliber test! And thanks for doing and posting your findings as well.

I can tell you for sure that they won't pass through a squirrel head at 30yds when leaving the muzzle well over 1000 fps. Accuracy is very good to at that speed too but I haven't tested much past 50yds. My son has shot 2 squirrels through the shoulder and 1 through the head with the pellet leaving his gauntlet at about 925 fps and none passed through. Velocity is the key to expansion. If you don't send em fast you might as well use cheaper solids.

these make wounds on the critters that no dome that I have shot can compare to. they are awesome

at 50 yd they are near or equal to accuracy as domes in both my Taipan and Zbroia Kozak

that looks like some nice rifling on the skirts from Timerabbits gun

I have been impressed with the accuracy of the hades so far with the reviews I have seen. I do think that JSB has that going for these pellets.

hey heavy impact did you say 1000fps and it didnt pass threw . are you getting good groups this fast ?wow I got a few tins I didnt hunt with them yet . I dont like ammo they fragments , I wish they made them heavier in 22 cal like 25 or 33 gr .16 gr is a bit light LOU

That's correct and accuracy is good. I like fragmenting ammo for pests... I want it to explode.

I will shoot this gel a couple more times tomorrow probably with a polymag and then crank the speed up and hit it with a Hades again. I'm not sure if that's gel is a good substitute for fur skin and bones but it will have to do for now.

I don't know if I'm calculating this right but I believe the head expansion was 29% the head diameter of a fresh pellet is 5.43 mm a pellet retrieved from the gel had a diameter of 7 .02 mm. I am no mathematician so if there's one out there please help me out with this.

Buy some cheap meat to test in. As for the math divide the expanded diameter by the original diameter.

TimeRabbit, 29% is correct. 

It's the difference (7.02mm - 5.43) divided by the original size. So 1.59 / 5.43 = 0.29 which is 29%. That's quite good so if the accuracy is there, they should be a very effective hunting pellet. 

It will be interesting to see how they perform for people under a variety of conditions...body shots and head shots, different distances and velocities, small game and medium game. One thought that came to my mind is some folks caution against taking frontal head shots with an airgun on medium game like raccoons, especially with an expanding pellet. The reason is the angle of the head may cause it to glance off. FWIW, I haven't experienced this problem with domed pellets. Here's an example with a soft JSB at only 750fps that did the trick just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5fCrMGs_yg

What I'm curious to see is if the Hades will open up the opportunity to take effective body shots on medium game with a .22 pellet. General consensus seems to be that a .25 cal isn't quite enough for humane kills, preferring instead a .30 cal. So I think that's a tall order for a .22 but I expect they'll be quite good for ground squirrels and the like.

This is interesting. I have seen another topic on this comparing the hades and pollymags. One thing I often wonder is how well they expand at farther distances. around the 80-100 yard range. At that distance would they even expand much, or even at all? Lets say this is with fps ranges of about 800 to 950. So is the cost of the hades pellet worth it over a standard domed pellet if shooting at farther distances? I know another AGN member mentioned that a domed pellet works fine when bagging a critter regardless of it not being designed to expand like others. I will say that im a sucker for buying pellets that are designed to expand and I still shoot them out to 80+ yards. Not sure what is really going on at those kind of ranges with expansion though.

Generally HP pellets only get good expansion out to about 60 yards. They still smack critters harder than domes at the longer ranges but just won't expand to their full potential. 

The pellet design loses speed very quickly which is required to hit hard enough to expand the lead. Testing showed a pellet shot over 900fps lost about 200 fps at 60 yards. At that range/speed, recovered Baracuda Hunters barely began to opened up.

I will shoot this gel a couple more times tomorrow probably with a polymag and then crank the speed up and hit it with a Hades again. I'm not sure if that's gel is a good substitute for fur skin and bones but it will have to do for now.

I don't know if I'm calculating this right but I believe the head expansion was 29% the head diameter of a fresh pellet is 5.43 mm a pellet retrieved from the gel had a diameter of 7 .02 mm. I am no mathematician so if there's one out there please help me out with this.

Buy some cheap meat to test in. As for the math divide the expanded diameter by the original diameter.

Kinda thinking the same but cornish game hens.

I recently discovered a woodchuck problem around my house, I’ve only got one so far and when I did the Dreamline was out of air because I had just been doing chrono work with it. I had to be to work about an hour after I got it or I would have filled the .22 gun back up and used the woodchuck corpse as “ballistics gel” the next one I get I’m hoping to do this with.