• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Skout Had a chance to do some .22 cal EPOCH shot count testing today ...

1.15 fpe/ci
Thank you both for the info.
Does anyone know where 1.15 fpe/ci fits in with similarly powered guns for a reference?
Several of us have Re-run the math shared and coming up with a similar 1.53 matching what Lloyds calc was also showing.

So a .22 at 51+ fpe using 1300psi from a 500 cc bottle making 82 shots is SPECTACULAR efficiency is the word coming back to me ... Love it !

Reactions: cavedweller
I redid the math and also got 1.54. Who knows...fat fingers maybe? Sorry. The formula for calculating it that I posted is correct.

What were the velocity spreads over this string, Scott?

Mike
Mike,
During that session was just taking shots & keeping track while shooting at @ 70 yards, No chrony was in use at that time.
Having done shorter sessions just over the chrony, the EPOCH as set up has shown ES values run from 6-10 fps (+/- 3 to 5 fps ) with known good pellets. I've read reports of velocity swings over the fill range, sadly not been seriously watching that being just recently getting it set up as a .22 cal
Slugs due to there bore draggy nature in general, I would doubt run that tight. Tho not tested them so a WAG :unsure:

Last edited:
Mike,
During that session was just taking shots & keeping track while shooting at @ 70 yards, No chrony was in use at that time.
Having done shorter sessions just over the chrony, the EPOCH as set up has shown ES values run from 6-10 fps (+/- 3 to 5 fps ) with known good pellets. I've read reports of velocity swings over the fill range, sadly not been seriously watching that being just recently getting it set up as a .22 cal
Slugs due to there bore draggy nature in general, I would doubt run that tight. Tho not tested them so a WAG :unsure:
It could be that we’re shooting at a much higher pressure than you. To shoot 34 grain Mk2 Heavy pellets from the 25 inch barrel at 965 fps requires 1900 HP reg pressure. And ALL THREE GUNS that the Team has drift down to 1700 psi or a little under at 2000 psi bottle pressure. That 200 to 225 psi decrease reduces pellet speed by about 30+ fps.

It could be that we’re shooting at a much higher pressure than you. To shoot 34 grain Mk2 Heavy pellets from the 25 inch barrel at 965 fps requires 1900 HP reg pressure. And ALL THREE GUNS that the Team has drift down to 1700 psi or a little under at 2000 psi bottle pressure. That 200 to 225 psi decrease reduces pellet speed by about 30+ fps.
In a Balanced valve ( Similar to the Spool valve ) Thats bad for ES figures ... really bad :eek:

Reactions: Centercut
Here about a week later had a bit of time today to go back into the valve and test it with some jet changes .

The OEM poppet head jet is a .035" as delivered with the .30 cal barrel fitted.
Had tested at 10% larger a .037"
Recently with data above was running jet at .039" in .22 caliber w/ 25" barrel fitted.

* Today tried Jet at .041"
Yes indeed shot is a tad snappier at same pressure & dwell setting, but did lose @ 15 fps being easily corrected with just a tad @ 30 psi shift in HP reg setting.

Jetted at .039" on @ +1750 psi we were shooting H&N 25 grain slugs @ 960 fps
Jetted at .041" a tad under 1800 psi for the same speed.

Am really liking how the gun is now sounding being a sharp yet muted "SNAP"
Dozen or so shots over the chony was +/- 2 fps being IMO really tight ES. More serious testing tho in the future :cautious:

Here about a week later had a bit of time today to go back into the valve and test it with some jet changes .

The OEM poppet head jet is a .035" as delivered with the .30 cal barrel fitted.
Had tested at 10% larger a .037"
Recently with data above was running jet at .039" in .22 caliber w/ 25" barrel fitted.

* Today tried Jet at .041"
Yes indeed shot is a tad snappier at same pressure & dwell setting, but did lose @ 15 fps being easily corrected with just a tad @ 30 psi shift in HP reg setting.

Jetted at .039" on @ +1750 psi we were shooting H&N 25 grain slugs @ 960 fps
Jetted at .041" a tad under 1800 psi for the same speed.

Am really liking how the gun is now sounding being a sharp yet muted "SNAP"
Dozen or so shots over the chony was +/- 2 fps being IMO really tight ES. More serious testing tho in the future :cautious:
Scott, have you experimented with raising or lowering the dwell settings? If so does it affect the pellets speed much, or perhaps efficiency or even ES/SD? I have changed HP pressure up and down but have left the dwell untouched so far.

Mike, I have extensively experimented with both dwell and the low pressure regulator. If you go too low on either, your gun may no longer fire because there is not enough force to overcome the stiction of the valve. As long as it is in operational tolerances, any difference in velocity is minimal. Scott's method of changing the jet size is the best way to significantly change valve timing.

Mike, I have extensively experimented with both dwell and the low pressure regulator. If you go too low on either, your gun may no longer fire because there is not enough force to overcome the stiction of the valve. As long as it is in operational tolerances, any difference in velocity is minimal. Scott's method of changing the jet size is the best way to significantly change valve timing.
I’m just wondering if it would help efficiency or SD to lower the dwell to a point right before pellet speed starts to drop? Keep HP and LP pressures constant.

I’m just wondering if it would help efficiency or SD to lower the dwell to a point right before pellet speed starts to drop? Keep HP and LP pressures constant.
While we initially were very impressed with the low pressure output potential .... It in my eye it is so due too long dwell and big ports.
Having seriously reduced port area / size to something that is still Full caliber & large :oops: The pressure were starting to get near is more typical for the power extracted with many platforms.
Now dealing with a Spool valve & electronics IMO we are still far ahead in tech to other manufacturers feeling the SKOUT platform certainly has much merit !!

Honestly the rifle is a BEAST !!!! Low power to very high is just a few adjustments to make. In the .22 caliber it sips air at @ 1000 psi setting making an honest 30 fpe output. Crank the HP up to @ 2000 psi & higher your pounding away at well over 50 fpe. Truly a versatile and tunable PCP ;)

Scott, have you experimented with raising or lowering the dwell settings? If so does it affect the pellets speed much, or perhaps efficiency or even ES/SD? I have changed HP pressure up and down but have left the dwell untouched so far.
Yes a tad bit on the electronic dwell setting ..... as we're running currently the EPOCH is set at Dwell 25 finding set in the 18-22 range experienced random 1st cold shot misfires and a somewhat wider ES overall.
I've altered enough stuff that applying any of it needs to be done ONLY if understanding the cause & effect .... It's all Fun stuff but don't blindly start changing or modifying if not understanding how it all ties together !!!
My journey changing stuff is easily reversible being mods are to sub parts/pieces replaced or backtracked in mods made to them.
But then again have found better performance / efficiency in a direction that was being chased from day one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Centercut
I had never seen the numbers you are talking about..... But..... I do not see the logic in talking about fpe.

My instinct says that it is not the same to move a .357 Cal 81,.02 grain pellet than a .177 Cal 10.8 grain pellet.

If you fill ANY rifle to 250 bar and you have your regulator at 140 bar you can count how many shots you get before going unregulated. That will vary on the caliber and on the weight of the pellet and the speed you are sending then through the barrel.

The calculation you do can be translated on each case in fpe, for sure ....... But I doubt a lot that the numbers you get in the exercise with a .357 Cal could be useful at all in regard of a .177, a .22, a .25 or a .30 Cal.

With all the valve changes had not tested the upper end for power ...
So with reg at 2000 psi, some NSA 31.1 grain Slugs we are seeing @ 920 fps for 58+ ft lbs power.
IIRC the Reg maxes out @ 2200 psi and while not tested there likely be @ 60 FPE which is no slouch for a .22 cal

Will admit we damped output a tad, but with this test at 2K the noise is silly quiet and gun shoots so smoothly !!

Last edited: