• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Hache moderator by Mechainnova

I have seen a similar concept a while back on utub - for pro handguns. Works on principle of a similar membrane, but is very service dependent... if I could recall need to replace a membrane after some 15-20 shots the power and heat will burn it out.
The airgun is not a fire gun. And the “Hache” uses silicone baffles not a membrane . This moderator is for only used in airguns.

Reactions: HogKiller
Here are some related concepts. Some just ideas; some implemented:

Reactions: Xolotl
I have seen a similar concept a while back on utub - for pro handguns. Works on principle of a similar membrane, but is very service dependent... if I could recall need to replace a membrane after some 15-20 shots the power and heat will burn it out.
Yes those are called "wipes" and are useful in specialized tasks. They are a niche item. When you want them, you REALLY want them.

Reactions: techna
Testing the velocity performance of the pellet through different stages configuration.

IMG_3107.jpeg

Why should a moderator affect the velocity of the pellet? Is a velocity drop from bare muzzle an indication of pellet to baffle contact? The data appears to reduce and increase the pellet velocity. I interpret that as noisy data, collected on different days.

I think the primary concern is about the baffles starting to close before the pellet has passed, and contacting the pellet. Such contact is likely to cause groups to open up, so shooting at targets to see if the group size or point of impact are affected would be very interesting.

I don't think we want to see even a hint of pellet to baffle contact.

Last edited:
Why should a moderator affect the velocity of the pellet? Is a velocity drop from bare muzzle an indication of pellet to baffle contact? The data appears to reduce and increase the pellet velocity. I interpret that as noisy data, collected on different days.

I think the primary concern is about the baffles starting to close before the pellet has passed, and contacting the pellet. Such contact is likely to cause groups to open up, so shooting at targets to see if the group size or point of impact are affected would be very interesting.

I don't think we want to see even a hint of pellet to baffle contact.
The hole diameter when the pellet pass through before to leave the moderator is 5/16. And this is the device used to measure the velocity

I mark the H baffles using Prussian blue, but it stay in the baffle walls.

IMG_3109.jpeg

Reactions: subscriber
Thank you Xolotl.

I still think you need to shoot paper targets to prove the device does not affect the pellet path in some way. Even due to air flow.

Also, at some point you need to test at higher power; then establish a maximum power limit for this moderator; if there is one.

I understand that this product is still under development; and that may take some time. You are doing what a few of us have been dreaming about. I wish you success.

Thank you Xolotl.

I still think you need to shoot paper targets to prove the device does not affect the pellet path in some way. Even due to air flow.

Also, at some point you need to test at higher power; then establish a maximum power limit for this moderator; if there is one.

I understand that this product is still under development; and that may take some time. You are doing what a few of us have been dreaming about. I wish you success.
You was right, root cause were a misaligne. Now the the pellet velocity is the same with moderator and without moderator.

IMG_3114.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: subscriber
My post in the "pistol" section -

Ouch...that's a mighty long muffler !!!
Seems that a pistol muffler should be about 1/2 of that, 6-3/8" length. Maybe 4" long.
I like the idea of the empty chamber then a baffle of some type. But again, the chamber doesn't really "need" to be that long...does it ?

How much air, by volume comes out the the .22 gun at, say, 550 fps ? Then the empty chamber should be some small portion of that volume, as expended, but it seems to me, "not" the full expanded volume. That could actually be "any" size if you think about it.

As I tested the original, two chamber muffler, in a few ways. I found that the two chambers, as...empty (no baffles), did a reasonable job of quieting the sound. VERY near what happened with the two baffles installed. Unfortunately, I did not try one empty chamber, and one baffle. I should have.
I'm going to take apart the muffler that I have. Remove the first baffle, leave the second baffler in place, see how that sounds.
So, one expansion "only" chamber, one baffled chamber, and test.

Mike

Reactions: Xolotl