Alright everyone! I’ve finally broken in my air rifle and I’m keeping consistent groups at about 35 yards. I’ve been shooting cheaper brand pellets to get the gun broken in and so far the Gamo rockets are doing pretty good but not as good as I’d like. They are a 14.3 grain pellet. I’m holding a pattern about 1.5 inches. What are some good H&N pellets that I could use to dial in my groups a bit more and have good luck hunting with? So far I’m really thinking about the H&N Terminator hollowpoints that are 16grains or The barucuda match domed pellets but those are a little bit lighter weighing 10.3 grains and not sure how lighter pellets are at longer distances with my gun. Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance! 

You hadn't mentioned what kind of gun you are shooting nor caliber. There are some rather conflicting weights regarding your post.

Assuming you are shooting 22 caliber, the H&N Barracuda weighs in at about 21grains and if your gun has enough power, is a good candidate for long range hunting due to its accuracy in many guns and power retention at longer distances. H&N Sniper in different weights are also worth a try. JSB and Air Arms in both 16 and 18 grain are also good candidates for long range accuracy. If you can afford it, Predator Poly Mags would be among my top choices for hunting. I would suggest trying a variety of pellets to see what you can reliably hit a 1 inch kill zone with at you intended range and just stick with those.

Walt

Ahhh you have a Gamo, if you can return it for a refund I would do it right away and buy a Walther Terrus instead. You will be much happier with its accuracy and ease of shooting and within a low budget. It is easier to shoot accurately than the RWS 34 and cost about the same if not cheaper.

Reactions: BDX
Maybe the variation in pellet size/weight is part of the grouping issue James. I really enjoy the consistency (more or less) of Crosman Prem Domes. Not as expensive as the H&Ns and with the savings you could pick up a relatively inexpensive digital scale if you want to become obsessed.

But sorry to your question, I like The H&N Barracuda Hunter in my Benjamin 392 Steroid. I’ve read a lot of positive feed back about the Crows but I’ve not had much success with hollow points. Now Their Barracuda Match with much the same dome shape as the Crosman works well for me too.

But anther suggestion why not try a sampler? I happen to have .22s so...

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/pellets/h-n-hunting-sampler-pellet-.22-caliber/

1539673975_14779513035bc58f777990e4.59352793_51516F91-19D4-4AA0-836C-EE3325326DFE.png

EDIT: I just read Walt’s note and he, like me, I was under the impression that you were shooting a Gamo,but you referrring to their pellet. So which air rifle are you using?

Yup sorry about that guys. Yes I have a .22 cal Gamo. But unfortunately I’m better off trying to sell it to some young kid cuz have no idea where the receipt is for the gun. Growing up I always had people telling me they were great guns so I didn’t bother researching for other stuff online. I’ve thought about buying samplers just hated the idea of being stuck with them if they shot poorly outta of my gun like the last set of pellets i bought I couldn’t keep a group smaller then 10 inches at 20 yards so I can’t use them for hunting or target practice. I’ll definitely have to look into those other pellet rifles and maybe figure something out with the Gamo. I’m not hurting for cash all that bad so if I can get good recommendations on good spring or nitro piston air rifles I don’t mind spending the money. Thanks guys

James I know this could be over the top but I figure we’re alll here to learn. Pellets and their behavior, well at least in my air guns had been a topic near and dear recently. You can download Chairgun from Hawke Sport Optics find the reticle closet to your scope and play with various pellets at various distances. Well assuming you have a scope but really it doesn’t matter because the program will help you visualize what’s going on. Also check this guys database on pellets, pretty interesting if you want to look at how a particular pellet behaves. The testing looks to have been top notch. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/agn-is-proud-to-share-hams-bc-database/

Naturally you’ll want to choose pellets that any gun you shoot can handle. Walt’s advice would have been invaluable to me we’re I in your shoes. I’m sure you’ll sort it out. 

George

Ok cool I’ll definitely have to check it out! I’m use to fire arms and it’s been a few years since I’ve been able to go hunting or even targer practice since I live in town now. My dad lives not to far from my house and Has a place where I can safely shoot air rifles so I said eh screwing I’ll get into shooting air rifles and make it a hobby. Any information I get is a big help and it makes for a nice challenge shooting air rifles. I’ll have to keep you guys updated as I figure things out and I just checked out some Driana , Walter and a few other brands that have really good rating and reviews that won’t break the bank eather lol thank again for the help guys 

James, welcome to a great hobby! I would still need a few more details to determine where the problem is. Details like: Are you shooting offhand, or at a bench? A 10" or greater shot spread at 20 yards is not a group it's more like a general indication of the direction the rifle was pointed in and not result of pellet selection. Take the time to check the screws holding the stock on , when loose these will cause inaccurate shooting.if you are using a scope? is it mounted firmly? Set yourself up at a bench with the rifle supported to minimize human errors in technique. Once your shots are consistently grouped under 1.5" then you can start eliminating pellets or weights to improve accuracy. It's all part of the fun!

What kind of Gammo do you have? I have a Mach I nitro in .177 that shoots .5 in groups at 50yds using Crosman Piranha's and will do the same with H&N FTTs. I also have a Varmint that was a springer untill I converted to to a nitro via Australia Custom Seals. I also put on of their seals in it and it shoots as well as the Mach I. My Urban 22 (BSA Made) will out shoot my hold capabilities. I have it mounted to a Tripod and "Urban Snipe" out my kitchen window. It loves H&N Field Target Trophy 14.66 copper plated or pure lead at a respectable velocity. The lead at 839 fps and the coppers at 880 fps. I have killed many Tree Rats with it at ranges out to 45 yds with the FTTs and several crows at max 55 yds with H&N Barracuda Power 21.4g at 690 fps.

The weapon you choose depends on what you want to do with it. What is the max range you normally use it? How much are you willing to spend? Have you had any marksmanship training? Do you use open sights, red dots, or scope? Examine all of these and then decide your best option for the money you have. I am happy with my Gammo's. Not their scopes (POS) LOL. I have a BSA red dot on the Varmint and Mach I. The Urban sports a Sun Optics 6-24 x 50 that set me back more than the cost of the rifle.

There is nothing wrong with the other brands whether German, Chinese, British, Swedish etc. Pick one based upon your shooting habits and pocketbook.

It is kind of like buying a sports car. Many models but no need to buy a Ferrari if you are never going to drive it over 45 mph.

I have enough cash to buy a Brocock,AirArms, AirForce, or one of the other Ferrari available but a MG works just fine for me.

Good Luck and welcome to the hobby. 

Reactions: WaltherV
James,

Check to see if any of the air rifles youre interested in are evaluated on Steve's AEAC YouTube Channel or web site. Usually several here on AGN. Frankly I'm so new to his site I dont even know if he does springers. I will say I learn something new about air gunning each time I finish one of his videos. Very in depth and informative.

George