H&N pellet testing in Cricket 2 Tactical .22 Long

Life has conspired to keep me from shooting very much in recent weeks, but I did get out yesterday to test a recent order of pellets in the Cricket II Tactical. 

I found that H&N Baracuda Match 21.4 grain pellets in 5.51 mm head size shot great in choked cricket barrels. Well, I am glad that I only got one tin of them! This longer unchoked barrel thought differently of them. I chose to not even finish a 5 shot group. It's worth noting that it was a VERY windy day, but I could clearly see the pellets corkscrewing downrange. The gun was set pretty hot. 1.25 turns OUT on the hammer spring. This resulted in velocities around 950 fps.

65 yards with H&N Baracuda Match 5.51mm

20211017_143231.1634575523.jpg

The other H&N pellet I got was the new 18 grain. I chose wisely and ordered 3 tins of these pellets. At the same hammer spring setting as the H&N BMs (good acronym for them, right?) these 18s were humming along at an average velocity of 1017 fps. And while I apparently forgot to snap a pic of my earlier targets (when it nailed a great 53 yard group...) these 18s did pretty respectably at 65 yards (again given the winds that day).

65 yards with H&N 18s

20211017_143305.1634575858.jpg

I did a holdover guess on the top group of 5 shots (1.5 mildot holdover) and then finished the mag (9 more shots) with no holdover and no compensation for the wind. The cool thing with these was the LACK of spiraling given the pretty high velocity. I could see them go down range and unlike the BMs, these flew straight and true at over 1000 fps. 

So far, I would say these H&N 18s stack up pretty favorably from an accuracy perspective. The one negative for both is that they simply don't cycle as well through the magazines as JSBs or JSB variants like the FX 18s.

So yeah, I know I'm shooting these pellets considerably faster than the prescribed ideal speed. But from my experience with crickets, they just are more consistent when they're shot with a pretty stout hammer spring hit. This will become doubly true when we're heading into fall and winter and the gun will be used in below freezing temperatures.

I'll be circling back with a cricket vs. cricket pellet test with the BMs. Let's see if this newest tin of 5.51mm BMs can still shoot decently in my chocked cricket barrel... stay tuned.

After having some accuracy issues with my .22 Tactical 60 , I cleaned the barrel , put an Huma reg set at 120 bars ,an Athlon Argos scope and a short Huma moderator, I get very good results as you can see with the JSB 18gr . However I never had good groups with the H&N 21gr shot at 860 Fps ; i'll try to shoot them faster next time.
IMG_1263.1634581710.JPG

Then I shot JSB 18gr once again , but after they had been resiized in a die ...and it was 6 shots in same hole ( no pic unfortunately); maybe this is due to the unchoked barrel which prefer resized pellets ...or maybe some luck !! I keep testing going on .