H&N Boat Tail Slugs

😂😂 o k.. Im not a potographer ( someone who takes pictures for a living) and my english aint good.. but here go's.. This is the 3de of 5 tins I bought.. and the same thing.. 1 boat tail slug !! Amazing
@Dano46 so that I understand you correctly - you’re in South Africa, but you have poor command of English (yet I can understand your posts. I’m sure Google translate didn’t instruct you to use “ain’t”), and you have issues taking a simple photo with the global proliferation of camera phones, but you can afford the hobby of airgunning? Taking a photo is a lot simpler than shooting an airgun; point, shoot, and upload to post. This sounds ridiculous. Ok. Carry on with the shenanigans…

@Dano46 so that I understand you correctly - you’re in South Africa, but you have poor command of English (yet I can understand your posts. I’m sure Google translate didn’t instruct you to use “ain’t”), and you have issues taking a simple photo with the global proliferation of camera phones, but you can afford the hobby of airgunning? Taking a photo is a lot simpler than shooting an airgun; point, shoot, and upload to post. This sounds ridiculous. Ok. Carry on with the shenanigans…

Edit: I see no point in leaving my original post up. It detracts from the thread and was a bit childish.

@Dano46 I don’t know if you tried to post a photo and were unable to in post #5, but I’d like to apologize publicly for giving you crap about it. Also, if your English is good enough to understand it’s good enough to serve its purpose to post on AGN. I can understand your posts just fine.

Last edited:
The only H&N boat tail slugs I’ve seen are the Piledrivers. They do not appear to be available or in production any longer.

There were also some Piledrivers offered in .22. Let the reviews speak for themselves.

I have not found anything about H&N boattails since some Piledriver reviews on Pyramyd Air in 2020. What’s the likelihood of a slug that’s no longer produced migrating to a tin of their newer slugs? Now that the BS is out of the way, let’s focus on the possibility of H&N currently offering boattails in .22 caliber as the title and initial post suggests. If anyone finds where H&N currently offers .22 boattail slugs, please post a link since that’s what many of us clicked this thread to see. Perhaps @HN Sport can shed some light upon this topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
The only H&N boat tail slugs I’ve seen are the Piledrivers. They do not appear to be available or in production any longer.
The Piledrivers were originally designed and sold by Hugh Earl of Pax Guns and Prometheus fame. He sold all his pellet designs to H&N. The Piledriver was not, shall we say, his best effort, containing a lot of basic errors in their shape. The high BC was really down to the high weight, not a low drag.

Reactions: JungleShooter

There were also some Piledrivers offered in .22. Let the reviews speak for themselves.

I have not found anything about H&N boattails since some Piledriver reviews on Pyramyd Air in 2020. What’s the likelihood of a slug that’s no longer produced migrating to a tin of their newer slugs? Now that the BS is out of the way, let’s focus on the possibility of H&N currently offering boattails in .22 caliber as the title and initial post suggests. If anyone finds where H&N currently offers .22 boattail slugs, please post a link since that’s what many of us clicked this thread to see. Perhaps @HN Sport can shed some light upon this topic.
We do not manufacture boattail slugs for production related reasons. The 3 slugs in the tins are probably prototypes from tests with our hand press.

I've already spoken to the OP on the subject (he kindly didn't insist on a replacement, btw.). Unfortunately, he could not help me with the lot number, the bottom label was pasted over. That would have allowed me to identify the colleagues involved in the production and packing process.

Somewhere someone must have completely fallen asleep and needs a corresponding wake-up call from management (or a good kick in the butt, to put it less politely).

I wish everybody a nice weekend!

BR Jörg

We do not manufacture boattail slugs for production related reasons. The 3 slugs in the tins are probably prototypes from tests with our hand press.

I've already spoken to the OP on the subject (he kindly didn't insist on a replacement, btw.). Unfortunately, he could not help me with the lot number, the bottom label was pasted over…

BR Jörg

@HN Sport Jörg, are the prototypes you mentioned possibly being used to develop another .22 caliber H&N boattail slug to be released in the future?

Boattails are not easy to design and get right. Most people make the basic mistake of thinking if a short boattail with a small angle is good, a long boattail with a larger angle must be better. Wrong, for every size and speed of projectile there is an optimum boattail angle, size and shape. Go beyond the optimum and you do not get the best performance. You could also enter a whole new world of pain if you go too far. Boattails change both the static and dynamic stability of a projectile, not just the drag, so all aspects have to be considered.

If you do not have the basic background knowledge and experience, it is all too easy to make basic mistakes with boattail design (such as on the Piledrivers).

Maybe...;)

Best regards

Jörg
All long range airgun shooters would like to see the rebated boat tail design brought back into slug production. If produced in all five of the common calibers I'm sure they would sell well enough to make it worth the time in developing.