• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

H&N Boat Tail Slugs

I thought boat tails only made a difference at long ranges at a higher velocity than an airgun can produce.
Boattails produce the largest percentage base drag reduction at around 1000 ft/sec but work at all subsonic speeds. The effects can be seen in numerous ways at all ranges, particularly in crosswind response.

Last edited:
I just got my Piledriver in .457 and will be using the NSA 350gr slugs to try. I've read a lot about the Piledriver and sounds like it's performance is awesome. At some point I'd like to try 1000 yards

IMG_20230516_233016324.jpg

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I just got my Piledriver in .457 and will be using the NSA 350gr slugs to try. I've read a lot about the Piledriver and sounds like it's performance is awesome. At some point I'd like to try 1000 yards

View attachment 358672
And this has what to do with H&N Boattail slugs?

Boattails produce the largest percentage base drag reduction at around 1000 ft/sec but work at all subsonic speeds. The effects can be seen in numerous ways at all ranges, particularly in crosswind response.
Good info. I know the Altaros BT slugs work great at 850 to 900 fps, but also work at higher speeds up to close to 1000 fps. The manufacturer recommends the slower speeds, however. For the .25 cal. Altaros Smooth 49.5 grain at 890 fps I use a G7 profile of 0.111, which is equivalent to a G1 profile of 0.21 (confirmed out to 286 yards).

Reactions: JaceSpace1369