• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme hitting steel sheet at 860fps

Messing around with my RTI Prophet Compact .22 shooting into wood, aluminum and steel. Recovered this 18.5 grain pellet after hitting .050" steel. It expanded to .625". Just got the gun and checking to see what lead it likes and it likes these pellets thus far at 19 yards, maybe further? It made a significant dent but of course did not puncture. It would be cool to see that kind of expansion on a ground squirrel head ;)

DSC00413.1625582885.jpg

At that power any pellet would expand line that if hit steel. I’ve recovered wafer disks like that after shooting hard crosman pellets on steel and rocks. 

also at that power level any pellet would zip right through a ground hog’s head and punch a nice hole for them to take a nap. Not going to be easy to recover the pellet to analyze if it has indeed expanded due to the game vs the objects it hit after the game. If you can drill one in the chest looking at you the pellet might get captured in the body cavity. Best of the luck on testing, I’ve tried similar experiment and quickly found out anything above 700FPS is hard to not get pass through even with .22 hades on smaller critters. I have recovered .22 hades shot at 860fps from jack rabbits before with vital shots but those are 5lb+ animals. 

There's no testing, been there done that, just having fun. 

I was happy to find the 'flower' in front of the target and thought it looked cool plus it's another excuse to mess around with my new camera.

With my Taipan, and the RTI, I will very likely get pass-through on any ground squirrel regardless of entry point... in the head, down through the boiler room and out the tail section. The longer the pellet stays in the body the better ;)