H&N baracuda ft. 9.57

Looking at the shape weight and bc these could a preffered food for my Weihrauch 77. I cant seem to get my hands on any, and was hoping someone could vouch for these. It seems to like the extreme hunters and the loves regular/match 10.65's . With the latter falling off a bit more than I would like at distances. Also are they a new offering on the market? Is that why they're so hard to get atm. Excluding the obvious situation in the world.

Pelletsmasher,

Back when these were only a thought by H&N, before they were offered to the general public,, I did extensive testing with these pellets in sub 12ftlb guns. They shot reasonably well, but had more wind drift at longer distances as compared to JSB or Air Arms 8.44's. The H&N Field Target Trophy 8.64 grain has the best performance and wind bucking properties, in my opinion. 

These pellets were originally put out on the market around 2019

This pellet was originally marketed and put out there as the Barracuda FT. For some reason, H&N decided to rename it as the Barracuda Light. If you search Barracuda Lights, instead of Barracuda FT when browsing pellet sites, you might find it easier.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

My experience is not far off of Tom's . I think it was 2018 at the IWA in Germany, the chief engineer at H&N gave me a tin to test. They were not on the market yet. I measured 100 for size and weight and visually inspected them. There were a couple that had light damage but only 4 that were not 9.6 gn and only 2 or 3 that weren't exactly the same head size , but these in both categories were 0.1 gn off and 0.01 mm off. EXTRAORDINARY consistency ! The only other domed pellets I've seen close to that were QYS. Those were actually only 4 of 100 that were 0.1 gn different but were ALL exactly the same size and no visible damage.

The shooting results weren't as good though. I tried them in about all rifles that would shoot them between 840 and 900. I don't remember a single rifle shooting them better than the JSB 10.3s. That's not saying they were bad, just not as good and blew a bit more in the wind, as well.

I would say they are worth trying... especially if the production version is as consistent as the ones I tested.

The QYS , by contrast, have shot better than anything in every rifle I have in proper power range. Similar to the FT's, they blow a bit more in the wind than the 10.3s.

Just my experience,

Bob

Thank you sir. I did stock up on the ftt 8.64. I will have to try the jsb and aa 8.44 I knew i forgot something! I bet that wind drift is because they are longer so more area for wind to push?! And just a tiny but slower from weight to time in the air is increased .. im getting a good grasp on minute details thanks to helpful persons such as yourself on AIRGUNNATION forums!

My experience is not far off of Tom's . I think it was 2018 at the IWA in Germany, the chief engineer at H&N gave me a tin to test. They were not on the market yet. I measured 100 for size and weight and visually inspected them. There were a couple that had light damage but only 4 that were not 9.6 gn and only 2 or 3 that weren't exactly the same head size , but these in both categories were 0.1 gn off and 0.01 mm off. EXTRAORDINARY consistency ! The only other domed pellets I've seen close to that were QYS. Those were actually only 4 of 100 that were 0.1 gn different but were ALL exactly the same size and no visible damage.

The shooting results weren't as good though. I tried them in about all rifles that would shoot them between 840 and 900. I don't remember a single rifle shooting them better than the JSB 10.3s. That's not saying they were bad, just not as good and blew a bit more in the wind, as well.

I would say they are worth trying... especially if the production version is as consistent as the ones I tested.

The QYS , by contrast, have shot better than anything in every rifle I have in proper power range. Similar to the FT's, they blow a bit more in the wind than the 10.3s.

Just my experience,

Bob

Thanks Bob. Just the infos I was looking for. I never really saw those QYS options. Will need to check them out aswell as stock.up on the 10.3s. 

I just noticed the batch I have of Cuda 10.65s I have, there is a tiny point on thats not intended. Like if you rub the tip on your jeans it will catch on the threads. But small enough it can be polished off by doing the same. The 10.65 matches appear to to not have this issue. And actually look manually polished.. weird. If a skirt is out of round, a pointed pellet pressed firmly fixes problem.