H+n .25 grizzly's

I can take some measurements tonight when I get home from work. I'm curious to what the rifling is doing to It too. interesting observation but not sure if it holds true with more shooting new pellet out of a new gun. Is that I sighted in @50yds with JSB 25.4gr But these heavier 31g grizzly were not showing any drop. I'm positive the fps is lower but the BC for this pellet has to much higher. Now we just need a boat tail hollow point pellet.

I've done a fair bit of chrony testing with these pellets through my AT44-Long and will say that they seem to have quite a bit of friction (choked barrel) compared to a normal diabolo pellet. This slows the muzzle velocity quite a bit compared to even heavier pellets (numbers below) and the deep rifling marks I've found after shooting them seems to bare this out.

Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to shoot these at the range (only two magazines - 18 shots - worth) but can confirm what j.quillin said about them seeming to shoot even or slightly higher than the JSB 25's (using the same zero as the JSBs) - which in theory should be the case as you stretch the range out, if the BC is close to the manufactures claimed .07 (as compared to ~.03 for the JSBs).

Chrony Numbers (gun set up the same for each - avg over 18 shots):
JSB King 25.4 - 902 ft/sec, ES 21
JSB King Heavy 33.95 - 820 ft/sec, ES 22
H&N Grizzly 31.0 - 814 ft/sec, ES 16

I'm looking forward to testing the King Heavy's against the Grizzly's when I'm able to get to the range next. With their higher muzzle velocity (as compared to the Grizzly) and better BC (as compared to the lighter Kings) it should make it a pretty tight race out to 100 - 125'ish yards. As always, the best accuracy will be the judge.

I'll testify what jetmech said. The grizzlies seem to be getting slowed down by the choke of the barrel. My FPS results where really close to his the exeption being JSB kings @ 920 avg fps. Grizzlies where about 40fps slower than the Cudas of the same weight and slower than the JSB heavies too. 

When i was shooting for groups this weekend, the grizzlies did not shoot nearly as good this time as i posted above. Also recovered a couple of pellets from my trap from indoor chrono work. The circumference of the grizzlies was in contact with the rifling much more so than a standard diablo.

Bullets generally have greater bearing surface therefore more friction and so reduced velocity.
Reduced velocity with a heavy projectile often means it is released from the muzzle when the muzzle is at a higher point in its recoil.
This generally means at close and moderate ranges it will impact higher on the target giving an impression of higher BC.
The test is to then shoot at longer ranges. If the POI remains still higher than other pellets then maybe the BC IS better.

Another reason for reduced velocity is blow-by. The bullets shown in the response above do not seem to be showing signs of the lead having filled the grooves. The lead does not show any shine.
All these things inter-relate as is always the case when there are two or more variables.
Try shooting at longer range to see if the higher POI of the bullets is retained; or at some further range the PsOI are the same, after which the bullets impact lower. If the bullets never drop down to the other pellets then the reason/s could be #1 a higher muzzle release and or #2 a better BC. ... Harry.

Reactions: weatherby