• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

H&N .25 cal Ram Point 27 grain reverse loaded accuracy

The H&N .25 cal Ram Point 27 grain pellet has won the award for most inaccurate pellet in my BSA Lonestar .25 cal with 24" barrel. Groups at 50 yards are 6" or worse. Total trash for my rifle.Out of frustration, I loaded some pellets backwards because I felt that even that could not possibly be worse, and to my surprise there was a very large increase in accuracy, though still not good at 2" to 3" grouping. Note that I was shooting at about 3600 feet elevation, normal for Montana.

When shooting into water bottles, the expanded shirt was larger than the expansion of an H&N Crow Magnum 26.23 grain pellet. The explosion of small water bottles is quite dramatic.I am running at 40-45 FPE and slightly over 800 FPS. The reversed Ram Point may be useful for short range hollow point duty, such as shooting rattlesnakes in the head or finishing off a large varmint at point blank range. Porcupines are very hard to kill, but they are slow and you can walk right up on them. No need for long range accuracy if porcupine elimination is your goal. Haven't tested them on the slow animals like skunks and porcupines yet, but intend to when the situation presents itself. Might be very useful for short range work, and I have over two tins of these things to get rid of. Otherwise, I will just use Crow Magnums for hollow point duty. The Crow Magnums are worthless at Prairie Dog Town because of their poor accuracy and low BC, but good for finishing off a wounded animal so as not to waste my JSB Exact King pellets which are the best in my rifle, 3/8" 5-shot groups at 50 yards.

Anybody else ever had an accuracy increase by reverse loading a pellet? Anyway, I was able to make unsweetened lemonade out of a lemon pellet. Will not be ordering any more Ram Points as I probably have a lifetime supply as it is if just using them for slow varmint termination duty.

Even when using Baracuda or Exact King pellets when shooting Rabbits in the head, it blows their eyeballs out of their sockets, and even Jackrabbits are dead right there when taking a body shot, never mind a head shot. The .25 cal Lonestar has been deadlier on small animals than subsonic or standard round nose .22LR. I have to move up to Stingers or Velocitors to have the same knock out effect. Because of that, and the poor accuracy, I haven't really done much varmint shooting with .25 cal hollow point pellets, but the Reversed Ram Points may be a game changer for close work. I guess I will find out this coming spring and summer.

Phil

Porcupines are listed as a pest in Montana. They kill our pine trees. My dog got a bloody mouth from them a few times. Ever try pulling porcupine quills from the muzzle and tongue of a German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix? It ain't fun.

Porcupines, like coyotes, are a varmint in Montana with no closed season and no limits. Besides, porcupines move really slow and are easy targets, unlike coyotes.

Porcupine literally means "pine pig", and they are death to pine trees.