GX pump not building pressure

I bought a GX pump modelGX-E-L3 at an auction. The other day appeared new in the box and it looked new in the box. It pumps air, but it will not build pressure . This is my first PCP style Aaron and pump. I know nothing about these things. Any suggestions?
I have taken out the pressure relief and cleaned anything and put it back together. Sprayed it down with soapy water everywhere to look for leaks so far, I found nothing.

One example of a dead head testing
IMG_20220326_223819.jpg
plug. WM

Not understanding "PCP style Aaron". You need a way of building back pressure within the compressor (i.e. deadhead plug) as mentioned before, then check for leaks with soapy spray. HOPEFULLY it's something as simple as a burst disc, an o-ring or a loose fitting. Will you be filling tanks, guns, both & have all the stuff necessary for either/or? The only thing your video does is verify output of air but NOT if it leaks or from where.

Last edited:
Reactions: Camaro454
I bought a GX pump modelGX-E-L3 at an auction. The other day appeared new in the box and it looked new in the box. It pumps air, but it will not build pressure . This is my first PCP style Aaron and pump. I know nothing about these things. Any suggestions?
I have taken out the pressure relief and cleaned anything and put it back together. Sprayed it down with soapy water everywhere to look for leaks so far, I found nothing.

I'm assuming that you didn't leave the bleed screw open? I'm not quite sure how new to it you are…

It won't build pressure unless you have the fill port (the part you were using as a blower) connected to a gun/bottle/deadhead fitting. You're just moving air from one point in your shop to another point via the piston.

I did take it apart. The rupture disc was still good. The pressure release knob was tight. I even took the head off and looked at the reed valve and it looked good .I plug it into my gun and let it pump for several minutes, and the pressure in the gun never goes up.
I work on equipment for a living. I know a little bit about some things. Just don’t know how this thing builds that much pressure.

You said you think it is new, did it come with a bag of tools, o-rings and other parts? There should be a dead head plug in that bag. If not, I would get one before you go any further, it's the only way to effectively test one of these compressors. Once you have the dead head, connect it to the compressor's fill hose, set the gauge to 200BAR turn on the compressor, press the start button, close the pressure release valve knob and test it. It should build pressure to 200BAR in under 10 seconds. If not, then you need to start looking for a leak.

You said you think it is new, did it come with a bag of tools, o-rings and other parts? There should be a dead head plug in that bag. If not, I would get one before you go any further, it's the only way to effectively test one of these compressors. Once you have the dead head, connect it to the compressor's fill hose, set the gauge to 200BAR turn on the compressor, press the start button, close the pressure release valve knob and test it. It should build pressure to 200BAR in under 10 seconds. If not, then you need to start looking for a leak.

This right here. Very good explanation. Great looking compressor, good luck!

Reactions: Gerry52
I bought it at auction, but it seemed to be new in the box
Auctions can be hit or miss, might be brand new, returned defective or original owner abused. Outward appearance doesn't matter if internals are defective or damaged. Dead head plug testing, as FLgunner stated, is quickest way to determine internal health. WM

I will go ahead and order a deadhead plug. It did not come with tools or O-rings or nothing of that nature. I did plug it into my gun. Let it run for three or four minutes never built pressure. As it was doing that I was spraying fittings with soapy water, seal leaks, but I will get a deadhead plug anyways thank you.