GX Pump L3

Recently bought this GX Pump L3 compressor. The reason is I thought it might be nice to use on many of my camping trips. I really like the idea of having something self contained with the batteries I'm able to recharge. Plan to use it over time and see how it performs to fill some of my rifles in the field. Anyone else have experience with these?
IMG_20220921_215556_996.jpg

IMG_20220921_153843.jpg

I have a 3 year old GX 12v pump that is still running strong regularly pumping 250 bar. I did burn the control board by feeding it 15 volts from a desk top power supply, but that was all my error. Bill at Target Forge has parts and repair knowledge. If you run into a problem with pump only hitting 1500 or 2000 psi, there is a simple check valve rubber ball that needs to be de-greased. I have had to do that about every 9-12 months.

Mine is slower that other 12v pumps I have used - but that also the motor runs cooler.

Shoot'em good!

Reactions: fe7565 and Removed
Recently bought this GX Pump L3 compressor. The reason is I thought it might be nice to use on many of my camping trips. I really like the idea of having something self contained with the batteries I'm able to recharge. Plan to use it over time and see how it performs to fill some of my rifles in the field. Anyone else have experience with these?
View attachment 291982

View attachment 291981
Heck ya! Can't wait for the results

Reactions: Removed
I might have purchased one of these as a backup / travel pump if it let you also have the option to plug it in.

Not a big fan of wearing out batteries when I have a plug available, which would be most of the time.

I will look forward to your review as well, though!
This unit will be stationed in my overland rig to fill the guns only in the field. I believe they make other versions that you speak of.

Reactions: Deleted 45061
Looking forward to the review as well! Definitely a faster, totally mobile solution with no need to pop the hood and be tethered to your vehicles battery.

I wonder if the GX compressor guys got this idea from the guy at Target Forge on YouTube who added some lithium batteries to a GX CS2 a while back, or vice versa. I understand he has an ongoing relationship with them as he does with Yong Heng.

Last edited:
Yeah I know there is the GX CS3. I already have an Omega Trail Charger which is similar but probably more durable with the water cooling, slow cycle and grease pot.

If that did happen to fail I would probably buy a GX CS something or other to save a few bucks and hope it does as well or better.

My point is the new double battery one would be a very attractive option *IF* it also let you plug it in. Seems weird to have that not be an option at all.

Reactions: Geezerhood
Yeah I know there is the GX CS3. I already have an Omega Trail Charger which is similar but probably more durable with the water cooling, slow cycle and grease pot.

If that did happen to fail I would probably buy a GX CS something or other to save a few bucks and hope it does as well or better.

My point is the new double battery one would be a very attractive option *IF* it also let you plug it in. Seems weird to have that not be an option at all.

Noted. I should have guessed you already knew about them.

I agree with you. A 120v power supply of some kind would be a must have for me. I wouldn't want to be waiting on batteries to charge when at home. It took them 4 tries before they started including the 120v to DC power supply in the machine, so perhaps the Gen 2 of this one will include it.

Dewalt makes a 120v power cord for their battery operated tools. Other brands of battery tools may as well.

Last edited:
That is serious cool business. I really enjoyed the chainsaw video you did a bit ago, as well as your tent episodes, so getting reviews about compressors like this from you really make me more confident in the product. A lot of these things come and go so fast on Amazon that it is hard to tell the wheat from the chaff. How heavy is the unit?

Me likey! At least so far. The only issue I see so far is the need for a better water trap. When I use the little cotton traps for absorbing the water depending on air quality they get soaked. So opening them up and letting the cotton dry between each use is a must!

I always remove the air drain for storage, transportation, and so it does not get bent or damaged. I like the automatic stop but wished it was digital so it could stop exactly where I set it. Although too heavy to carry while hiking it is about the weight of a medium to large fill bottle.

I put one of the vibration hour clocks on there that you can turn on and manually shut so it wouldn't advance while being transported in the car. I think I only have 2.5 hours on my unit and I tend to shut off the fan soon after the compressor cycles off.

I use it when my fill tank gets too low to fill the guns. Which apparently I drain pretty quickly.

It's also not too loud to the point I can set it on top of the table inside and fill when needed.

Do i expect it to last forever? No but i hope it will last at least a year and fill the guns when the fill bottles are too low.

Allen

I do wish this thing would have a battery condition meter or volt meter, something to tell you how much life is currently in the battery.

20220925_170136.jpg

Because if I went just by the hour meter. It would basically tell me that I've only needed to charge the thing three times so far. In reality you don't want to be using the pump when the voltage is low as it can cause a lot of damage to the unit by driving it with low voltage. Subsequently, I tend to charge the unit the before every outing not knowing how full the battery is to begin with.

Allen

I would be interested to know if the input voltage to the system is 12v or 18v) or whatever the batteries are wired for) - I have a couple of 12v power supplies from my R/C days and one from the Benjamin 12v pump that I killed - it would not be hard to add a power adaptor to make it run from 120v -> power supply -> pump... IF and that's a big IF, the internals will run on straight 12v.

Actually I was going to find the part of the video when I got home from work unfortunately I just passed out. You are right it is not in this post. It was in the post currently stickied at the top of the compressor forum. But to do you one better I posted a clip for you.

I can explain but since you maybe thinking I'm a dick you can believe someone else.

☺️

Allen

I would be interested to know if the input voltage to the system is 12v or 18v) or whatever the batteries are wired for) - I have a couple of 12v power supplies from my R/C days and one from the Benjamin 12v pump that I killed - it would not be hard to add a power adaptor to make it run from 120v -> power supply -> pump... IF and that's a big IF, the internals will run on straight 12v.
I believe it's wired for 18v, I wouldn't have bought it if it had an inverter as that would add to the size and weight. Plenty of units on the market that run off 120 that don't need modifications.