• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

GX pump E-5K2 review

Just thought I'd post this up in case anyone is looking at these. They are great compressors (especially on value). I bought one to fill a 12L tank and it does so pretty quick, I did it from empty to full in about 3 runs of 45-60 minutes/each. The integrated cooling system got a little warm (maybe 80-90 degrees) with water wetter's pre-diluted mix.

Only real downside I can think of is weight/size... despite looking like a pc tower from the 80s this thing is like 100lbs dry. Also changing coolant is going to require opening the casing as there's no exterior drain.

Reactions: 1900colt
Shouldn't need to change the coolant very often (maybe every 5 years?) since there is not much heat in our system to break chemicals down, and shouldn't be anything that rusts.

Love the E-5K2, just didn't have the space for it and needed it to be portable. Also of interesting note is that GX is saying to NOT grease the cylinders the first 50 hours of use.

Shouldn't need to change the coolant very often (maybe every 5 years?) since there is not much heat in our system to break chemicals down, and shouldn't be anything that rusts.

Love the E-5K2, just didn't have the space for it and needed it to be portable. Also of interesting note is that GX is saying to NOT grease the cylinders the first 50 hours of use.
Yeah the whole GX vs manufacturer thing on greasing is a little concerning but I think I'm going to follow their recommendation. Did you notice a little particulate in the cooling reservoir after you used it? Nothing like metal shavings but thinking maybe a little scale if they tested with mineral bearing water at the factory. Only reason why I was thinking about dumping and refilling the coolant.

The GX-E5K2 is one very nice machine.
Only thing to watch for is during initial setup is an air pocket in the lines. It's unbeatable in value.

I would get in the notification list for when it comes available as they sell fast

Yeah the whole GX vs manufacturer thing on greasing is a little concerning but I think I'm going to follow their recommendation. Did you notice a little particulate in the cooling reservoir after you used it? Nothing like metal shavings but thinking maybe a little scale if they tested with mineral bearing water at the factory. Only reason why I was thinking about dumping and refilling the coolant.
You should absolutely have dumped any water in it when it arrived. I unhooked the discharge hose that flows into the top of the reservoir, pushed it overboard, and proceeded to run the system for about 3-4 minutes while keeping the reservoir filled with fresh tap water. Then I completely drained the system using air, and refilled with 8:250 (water wetter:DW).

I've had the piston apart; for certain, more grease is worse than too little. There is no metal-to-metal contact inside the piston itself, it's all rubber-to-metal. All we really need to do is keep the rubber supple. In fact, GX recommends flushing the grease port with water if one suspects over-greasing.

The GX-E5K2 is one very nice machine.
Only thing to watch for is during initial setup is an air pocket in the lines. It's unbeatable in value.

I would get in the notification list for when it comes available as they sell fast

Not as big of an issue with the E5K2, as it has a water flow indicator on the side. Certainly something one should be aware of after flushing and filling the first time, or after using it on its side then going back upright once again. But 2-3 applications of the on/off switch usually corrects the issue.

Not as big of an issue with the E5K2, as it has a water flow indicator on the side. Certainly something one should be aware of after flushing and filling the first time, or after using it on its side then going back upright once again. But 2-3 applications of the on/off switch usually corrects the issue.
This is true with the cs4, it can get a little more involved with the 5 and its twin cylinders. It's usually the outer most cylinder and best was to fix it is to pop off the line. If starting and stopping doesn't correct it.

It's not hard to do, and if your one that likes to flush out the system when new.. you're already there anyway🙂

Reactions: F6Hawk