GX L3 18v and 110v. Perfect setup!

This compressor doesn’t get talked about too much, bought one last spring and it’s been perfect for my needs. A big selling feature for me was the portability without having to connect to car or deep cycle battery, also Makita batteries are compatible with this compressor, perfect because I have about a dozen spare batteries for my ever growing tool collection. Used out in field about 4 or 5 times so far, haven’t had to use any extra batteries yet.

A couple weeks ago, I see they sell a 110/220 dc converter, now I can fill guns in the cave before I head out. Converter hooks up to where one battery would go. This is the perfect setup for me, really liking this. Compressor and converter can be had for under $600 with Amazon prime.

I haven’t used my shoebox to fill tanks since I got this compressor, but…not sure how long this GX will last so I’m not getting rid of the shoebox anytime soon.

72B57B75-4C25-4BCF-AA6A-796F78AF2341.png

Last edited:
This compressor doesn’t get talked about too much, bought one last spring and it’s been perfect for my needs. A big selling feature for me was the portability without having to connect to car or deep cycle battery, also Makita batteries are compatible with this compressor, perfect because I have about a dozen spare batteries for my ever growing tool collection. Used out in field about 4 or 5 times so far, haven’t had to use any extra batteries yet.

A couple weeks ago, I see they sell a 110/220 dc converter, now I can fill guns in the cave before I head out. Converter hooks up to where one battery would go. This is the perfect setup for me, really liking this. Compressor and converter can be had for under $600 with Amazon prime.

I haven’t used my shoebox to fill tanks since I got this compressor, but…not sure how long this GX will last so I’m not getting rid of the shoebox anytime soon.

View attachment 325596

I'm not seeing the amp-hour rating of the included batteries. Is it listed anywhere on the batteries? Can you give an idea of what guns you're filling and how many times on fully charged batteries?

I'm also invested in the Makita cordless platform. Between tools and OPE have quite a few. However, on a tool forum I frequent a poster warned about using Makita batteries on non-Makita tools. There is communication between batteries and tools so if a battery is used on a non-Makita tool and then used on a Makita tool, both the battery and tool have their warranty voided. Evidently Makita can determine this if a tool and/or battery is sent in for repair.

The most common cause if this is using a Makita battery on a non-Makita tool with an adapter.

@ToddGeddes63 I was all set to buy the GX3 until I saw this one, not for everyone but the portability was the deciding factor for me, as well as the Makita compatibility. I sure hope it lasts a long time!

@Scouty I believe the batteries are 9.0 ah, don’t quote me on that though as I’m away from home now. I haven’t actually used the Makita batteries at length but did try one out briefly to confirm they do work. Makita batteries hook up without an adapter. Didn’t know about the battery communication thing you mentioned, not sure if it will damage battery or not, guess I’ll find out the hard way eventually or…not. Couldn’t find any GX 18v replacement batteries when I looked last spring, not sure if they are available now or not.

Last time out I filled several bottle guns (Cricket TacII, Airforce) as well as Taipan Vet several times as well as cool down time, never used up stock batteries, didn’t keep track of number of fills though I did shoot a lot of pellets that day.

@ToddGeddes63 I was all set to buy the GX3 until I saw this one, not for everyone but the portability was the deciding factor for me, as well as the Makita compatibility. I sure hope it lasts a long time!

@Scouty I believe the batteries are 9.0 ah, don’t quote me on that though as I’m away from home now. I haven’t actually used the Makita batteries at length but did try one out briefly to confirm they do work. Makita batteries hook up without an adapter. Didn’t know about the battery communication thing you mentioned, not sure if it will damage battery or not, guess I’ll find out the hard way eventually or…not. Couldn’t find any GX 18v replacement batteries when I looked last spring, not sure if they are available now or not.

Last time out I filled several bottle guns (Cricket TacII, Airforce) as well as Taipan Vet several times as well as cool down time, never used up stock batteries, didn’t keep track of number of fills though I did shoot a lot of pellets that day.

If I get one I won't overly concern myself with the battery communication issue. We have a small cabin and if I take this compressor there I just can't see having both battery and charger types. Space is at a premium. My tools have lasted long enough at this point that I'm not worried about having to replace them if they break and Makita won't repair them.

By the way, it's not the adapter that is the issue but if any non-Makita battery, charger or tool is used in conjunction with a Makita battery/tool/charger it can void your warrantee. An adapter is just one way that can happen.

By the way, here are some 9.0 amp-hour knockoff Makita batteries if you want extra for your compressor. I assume they would work.

Reactions: Joekrooz
I got this during the time I was using my Yong heng, was too lazy to drag it out , setup , and fill my tank, (which was often) so I used this even inside the house filling the guns directly. It is extremely quiet compared to the YH. But of course I won't use it to fill my tank. I drag it out to the range as a backup to the tank as well even though it was not needed. My only issue is that the batteries do not have a meter to show state of charge as I almost always top off the charge before I take it anywhere.
20220925_170258.jpg

Allen

Reactions: BanjomanMI76