• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

GX CS4 tips and advice ?

OK so,

I sold one of my guns to my boss ( he keeps it at the property where I work so I can shoot it anytime I want ;) )

Anyway this guy just goes all out in everything he does, I suggested to buy the CS3 but of course he had to get the CS4

Yesterday was delivered, I took it out the box but didn't read the manual nor tried to play with it since I figured it would be better getting tips from the members here.

I know there's other threads about this pump, but I just look for minor tips,...he she ready to go as is or do I need to do something to it?

anything else ?

appreciate any advice and much thanks in advance.

At minimum get rid of any water that shipped with the unit by filling the reservoir with distilled water and circulating through the system and then dumping it. Rinse and repeat until the water is clear. Make sure the water is circulating by filling just up to the return port in the water reservoir and observing the water coming out of the return port. The initial water in my unit was dirty. Use distilled water for the rinse process. Once cleared , fill with distilled water or distilled water with redline water wetter or diluted antifreeze if the unit will be used in freezing outdoor conditions. Just remember that there's always residual water in the system that isn't visible in the reservoir. If water doesn't seem to be coming out of the return port you might have to shake the unit holding the handle to get rid of the air in the pump, that happened in my unit.

Check performance of the pump using included dead head.

Always start fill with bleed valve open, never have pressure on the system when you start filling. If filling a tank don't open tank valve until the pump has more pressure than the tank.

Keep track of run time hours for maintenance,, get a vibration sensing timer or log the times you run it.

Get some form of moisture filter on the output hose.

Last edited:
At minimum get rid of any water that shipped with the unit by filling the reservoir with distilled water and circulating through the system and then dumping it. Rinse and repeat until the water is clear. Make sure the water is circulating by filling just up to the return port in the water reservoir and observing the water coming out of the return port. The initial water in my unit was dirty. Use distilled water for the rinse process. Once cleared , fill with distilled water or distilled water with redline water wetter or diluted antifreeze if the unit will be used in freezing outdoor conditions. Just remember that there's always residual water in the system that isn't visible in the reservoir. If water doesn't seem to be coming out of the return port you might have to shake the unit holding the handle to get rid of the air in the pump, that happened in my unit.

Check performance of the pump using included dead head.

Always start fill with bleed valve open, never have pressure on the system when you start filling. If filling a tank don't open tank valve until the pump has more pressure than the tank.

Keep track of run time hours for maintenance,, get a vibration sensing timer or log the times you run it.

Get some form of moisture filter on the output hose.
cold isn't a problem since we are in Hawaii ;) ..how do you dump it ?

Nice not to have to use coolant in your beautiful state of Hawaii.

To dump old water.
With cap off, just pick it up by the handle and turn it over so that the liquid falls out. You won't get all the liquid out of the system because the reservoir is just a subset of the cooling. Think car cooling system, draining the radiator doesn't get all the coolant out there still old stuff in the engine block and heater core. Thus the need to drain, refill and circulate several times to get all the old stuff out.

if you have access to a vacuum pump and are willing to remove the cover, you could connect the pump up to hoses that goto the internal water pump and drain that way. Too much hassle for me. If you dump fill, and circulate the water you'll eventually get most of the dirty water out. Just repeat purging until the water is clear .

Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66
Nice not to have to use coolant in your beautiful state of Hawaii.

To dump old water.
With cap off, just pick it up by the handle and turn it over so that the liquid falls out. You won't get all the liquid out of the system because the reservoir is just a subset of the cooling. Think car cooling system, draining the radiator doesn't get all the coolant out there still old stuff in the engine block and heater core. Thus the need to drain, refill and circulate several times to get all the old stuff out.

if you have access to a vacuum pump and are willing to remove the cover, you could connect the pump up to hoses that goto the internal water pump and drain that way. Too much hassle for me. If you dump fill, and circulate the water you'll eventually get most of the dirty water out. Just repeat purging until the water is clear .
Got it, thanks

I flushed mine by taking the cover off and disconnecting the water return line, it's connected at the top portion of the water reservoir with a push type fitting. It can be taken loose by pushing in on the plastic collar that the tubing goes into....push in on the collar while pulling out on the tubing and it will pull out of the fitting. Run that return line to a container and turn the power on to the compressor to run the fans and water pump and continue filling the water reservoir as it pumps down....keep doing this until the water going in the container turns clear then re-connect the tubing by just pushing back into the push fitting and then run the pump again and top off the water until it's just below the hole where the return water is coming back into the reservoir, you do this with the water cap off while looking down into the reservoir with the pump running. By doing it this way, you will be completely flushing the whole cooling system of any contaminates. It's really easy to do....just a few screws to remove from the outer case and it can be lifted off and laid over on the left of the compressor where the battery cables are attached.

I flushed mine by taking the cover off and disconnecting the water return line, it's connected at the top portion of the water reservoir with a push type fitting. It can be taken loose by pushing in on the plastic collar that the tubing goes into....push in on the collar while pulling out on the tubing and it will pull out of the fitting. Run that return line to a container and turn the power on to the compressor to run the fans and water pump and continue filling the water reservoir as it pumps down....keep doing this until the water going in the container turns clear then re-connect the tubing by just pushing back into the push fitting and then run the pump again and top off the water until it's just below the hole where the return water is coGooming back into the reservoir, you do this with the water cap off while looking down into the reservoir with the pump running. By doing it this way, you will be completely flushing the whole cooling system of any contaminates. It's really easy to do....just a few screws to remove from the outer case and it can be lifted off and laid over on the left of the compressor where the battery cables are attached.
Better idea than vacuum pump.👍., if you are willing to take the cover off.

WOW, yesterday I tested the compressor,....what a step up in quality compared to the Nomad II, not even the same planet.

Quiet, seem to run real smooth and slow yet it filled a gun in what seemed the same time the Nomad did.

From what I can see the 600 bucks price tag for this compressor is well worth it, huge bang for the buck.

Use some water wetter. It breaks down the surface tension so the water is in full contact with the cylinder water jacket surface and the radiator surface. I know redline has corrosion prevention also but as has been said it won't protect from freezing if your boss decides to take it somewhere where it freezes.
The only thing I had in the shop was red 50/50 antifreeze for the BackHo so I put that one in.

Just to let you know, distilled water with water wetter will a lot better than water/anti freeze will.
Ho I believe you, but how much worse is heavy duty 50/50 antifreeze really ?

Also remember that my boss will be doing very little shooting so I don't see the GX4 being used that much at all.