GX CS4 Lube Information Update

Many of you may know that Bill Ruehl from Target Forge recently visited the GX air compressor factory in Nantong China. Here is the latest information he brought back regarding lubing the GX CS4 hpa compressor:
The manufacturer says to be very stingy with the grease. The advice to do it every 4 hrs will result is way too much grease in the system. My current recommendation is once at 6 hours, again at 16, then every 16 hours unless you hear it slowing down then give it a shot."

Last edited:
I know he did. But where did he disseminate this info?
I emailed him and asked him. I did so because there was conflicting information. Some of the conflicting information was between the owners manual and that provided by ANKUL on Amazon.com. His reply is above. He did not, to the best of my knowledge, publish this information anywhere.

I have the Omega and have direct contact with the rep, tech support , customer service and repair representative (it’s one guy) and he says 4-6 hours. Gx is Omega, Omega is GX.
Too much lube can cause these units to bind up and slow or stop the pumping. So yes, there is such a thing as too much lube. Also, too much too fast can push the lube into your bottle or gun.

Too much lube can cause these units to bind up and slow or stop the pumping. So yes, there is such a thing as too much lube. Also, too much too fast can push the lube into your bottle or gun.
Maybe. I haven’t seen any evidence of oil on the inline filter 🤷‍♂️. I have 25 hours on my Trail charger ( cs4) and 9 on Air Charger. Guess time will tell. I’m not saying this to start an argument or anything it’s just my experience with my personal units that’s all:). On the other hand Bill is a smart dude so maybe there’s something there

Maybe. I haven’t seen any evidence of oil on the inline filter 🤷‍♂️. I have 25 hours on my Trail charger ( cs4) and 9 on Air Charger. Guess time will tell. I’m not saying this to start an argument or anything it’s just my experience with my personal units that’s all:). On the other hand Bill is a smart dude so maybe there’s something there
I'm sure you'll be fine if you follow the Omega directions. You've got some experience, but not everyone does, and I'm sure with the grease convos being all over the place (almost as bad as a car forum oil debate), folks new to the forums will make mistakes and follow the wrong advice.

Another interesting (and confusing) aspect is that Omega says to use NLGI 0 grease, but CX recommends NLGI 2 grease. Or more accurately, they don't even know what a NLGI rating is, and kinda say, "use whatever grease is fine".

I'm sure you'll be fine if you follow the Omega directions. You've got some experience, but not everyone does, and I'm sure with the grease convos being all over the place (almost as bad as a car forum oil debate), folks new to the forums will make mistakes and follow the wrong advice.

Another interesting (and confusing) aspect is that Omega says to use NLGI 0 grease, but CX recommends NLGI 2 grease. Or more accurately, they don't even know what a NLGI rating is, and kinda say, "use whatever grease is fine".

Yeah it’s like the Ballistol vs Hoppes #9 vs Silicone oil topic it’s all over the place .

• Haha
Reactions: F6Hawk
Ok, my question is, and BR recommends this also, is when rebuilding the GX, to fill the piston recess with grease. Are we saying that's too much? I usually take my three compressors down once a year for a full rebuild, which usually means, clean and regrease and check for damage or signs of heat and moisture. If all is well, then I'm happy. I do only use nitrogen, no air, so moisture is not much of an issue.
Is this too much gease?

Ok, my question is, and BR recommends this also, is when rebuilding the GX, to fill the piston recess with grease. Are we saying that's too much? I usually take my three compressors down once a year for a full rebuild, which usually means, clean and regrease and check for damage or signs of heat and moisture. If all is well, then I'm happy. I do only use nitrogen, no air, so moisture is not much of an issue.
Is this too much gease?
When I had my CS4 non internal open to look I cleaned it up and greased it there. I have no idea why it would hurt and I have many hours on it since with no issues.

Is this too much gease?
So you've got 3 GX GS4s that you rebuild each once a year?!
No one is saying that is too much grease. What is being stated is that the compressors don't need a full turn of the grease valve every 4 hours of useage.

Last edited:
No one is saying that is too much grease. What is being stated is that the compressors don't need a full turn of the grease valve every 4 hours of useage.
My understanding is that the GX S4 is different in internal design than the previous models, so the S4 may require a different maintenance routine.

Also, Jason says to turn the knob about once every 6 hours, and once it's empty, it never needs grease again. Seems counterintuitive to me, but that's what he said. I have read on AGN where at least one other member got the same advice.