GX CS4 grease again...(sorry)!

The Haynes grease is NLGI 2? Tried looking for that info, but couldn't find it yet.

As for the veggie oil stuff... Omega compressors recommends it. They use it in their compressors. No one that I have heard of has had an issue with it.

But I agree, silicone will remain pure for much longer than veggie based oil. Even though GX does NOT recommend it, I know it is recommended just about everywhere rubber or EPDM seals are used.
My apologizes. You are correct. I don't know where I got the idea/info that it was/is NLGI2, but I can't find that info either.

As I said, it does seem a little bit less viscous than the original grease, but since I only fill my Fortitude and Akela and have no large tanks, the compressor never has a chance to really heat up and liquefy the grease anyway.

I went to the Haynes website and they make NO mention of the NLGI factor at all. (sheepish shrug)

Thanks for pointing out my error!

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

When GX actually comes out and actually publishes the grease they recommend, then I will use that grease.

But since they have never PUBLICLY said nor published what grease they recommend nor put a recommendation for grease ANYWHERE other than third or fourth party anecdotal info...

I'll just keep using what I am using. (smile)

Last edited:
My apologizes. You are correct. I don't know where I got the idea/info that it was/is NLGI2, but I can't find that info either.

As I said, it does seem a little bit less viscous than the original grease, but since I only fill my Fortitude and Akela and have no large tanks, the compressor never has a chance to really heat up and liquefy the grease anyway.

I went to the Haynes website and they make NO mention of the NLGI factor at all. (sheepish shrug)

Thanks for pointing out my error!

All my best!

Kerry
No worries buddy. I looked at their SDS on their site, tried looking at images online... and no NGLI rating.

I have some Danco silicone grease here at home, tiny tube, and while it doesn't have any rating, it FEELS like NLGI 5. VERY thick and hard to squeeze from the tube, though it might be totally different in a tub or bigger tube.

I'm not going to worry about it until my grease pot is nearly empty. And if GX is STILL saying no need to add grease, I might just hold out to see if that is good advice.

Hell, maybe Crisco would work?!? :eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: BackStop
No worries buddy. I looked at their SDS on their site, tried looking at images online... and no NGLI rating.

I have some Danco silicone grease here at home, tiny tube, and while it doesn't have any rating, it FEELS like NLGI 5. VERY thick and hard to squeeze from the tube, though it might be totally different in a tub or bigger tube.

I'm not going to worry about it until my grease pot is nearly empty. And if GX is STILL saying no need to add grease, I might just hold out to see if that is good advice.

Hell, maybe Crisco would work?!? :eek::eek::eek:
I was editing my post as you were replying... see above...

Anyway, GX never has put out ANY official statement about what grease they recommend. EVERYTHING relating to GS4 grease has been 2nd, 3rd and 4th party anecdotal recommendations.

If and when GX actually publishes a verifiable recommendation for grease in the CS4, I will take heed and use it.

I am not calling anyone out on this, but until the manufacturer actually PUBLICLY states what they recommend...

I think you get my drift. That is one thing that does worry me about the GX CS4.

Why NOT simply say/print/publish what they recommend? Would THAT be SO HARD to do???

Oh... I forget we are talking about China. Don't get me started...

All my best!

Kerry

Last edited:
From the looks of all the photos of what comes from the factory in the grease pot it doesn't appear to be anything like silicone grease. Am I wrong I haven't unscrewed mine to look. If you were considering using silicone grease I would think that a 90 weight or so silicone oil would be better just putting a few drops in every few hours of use. It will distribute more easily and not cause as much friction as a thick grease. A silicone grease isn't a great lubricant is better than nothing but it isn't as good as any oil-based lubricant. Of course the wrong oil-based lubricants can degrade certain types of rubber seals I don't know about the plastic seals used in the CS4. Also as others have stated a wrong oil-based lubricant with a low Flashpoint can be dangerous to the point of detonation which could be fatal!

From the looks of all the photos of what comes from the factory in the grease pot it doesn't appear to be anything like silicone grease. Am I wrong I haven't unscrewed mine to look. If you were considering using silicone grease I would think that a 90 weight or so silicone oil would be better just putting a few drops in every few hours of use. It will distribute more easily and not cause as much friction as a thick grease. A silicone grease isn't a great lubricant is better than nothing but it isn't as good as any oil-based lubricant. Of course the wrong oil-based lubricants can degrade certain types of rubber seals I don't know about the plastic seals used in the CS4. Also as others have stated a wrong oil-based lubricant with a low Flashpoint can be dangerous to the point of detonation which could be fatal!
My understanding is that silicone is not a good lubricant for metal on metal, but is good, if not very good for plastic/rubber/synthetic polymers against metal.

Certainly someone will correct me if I am wrong.

The rings in the CS4 compression cylinder are not metal. So, petroleum oil is not needed and considering the high pressure involved, I would think precluded their use for fear of detonation regardless of temperature flashpoint.

Hell, I can't believe I am up this late typing... so I will leave it to others with more knowledge and experience to continue this conversation. (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

Some types of oils can be used safely in high pressure compressors as I believe the a spec. for use on Alkin, Bauer and Yong Heng. Although I wouldn't call it completely safe in the Yong Heng. I've seen too many photos of carbon deposits on the valves and pistons of those. Too much ring clearance and too little cooling could be exciting! So the right type of grease using oil as a lube can work fine. I think that is what the factory is using. Although the type isn't given.

I was editing my post as you were replying... see above...

Anyway, GX never has put out ANY official statement about what grease they recommend. EVERYTHING relating to GS4 grease has been 2nd, 3rd and 4th party anecdotal recommendations.

If and when GX actually publishes a verifiable recommendation for grease in the CS4, I will take heed and use it.

I am not calling anyone out on this, but until the manufacturer actually PUBLICLY states what they recommend...

I think you get my drift. That is one thing that does worry me about the GX CS4.

Why NOT simply say/print/publish what they recommend? Would THAT be SO HARD to do???

Oh... I forget we are talking about China. Don't get me started...

All my best!

Kerry
You are correct, GXO hasn't really recommended anything online, but talking to Jason, the GX seller on Amazon, he recommended the Super Lube I referred to prior, and also told me, as others have said on the forum, that there may be no need for grease after a year. I doubt I will follow that advice, but it may well be that future grease applications need to be every 10-20 hours. I'll know when my compressor is a year old and I open the piston to take a peek inside!

1710606708835.png

Just reviving an old thread.
We are sort of stuck down here in NZ (just like our Aussie cuzzies we are all upside down compared to most of you), and it's hard to source some products.
What do you think of this grease please?
https://4lifetimelines.com/products/multipurpose-silicone-grease-lubricant
I'd say you'll be ok with it, other than the fact that it's a case buy, which is enough grease for 24 people for life, lol.

You'll likely be fine with it. It's SAFE, unlike petro lubes, and even though it's not a synthetic food-safe type of grease, it's perfect for o-rings and such. The only thing to be wary of is that it tends to be thicker than the greases bandied about here on AGN, and as such, it won't take much to clog up your GX compressor, so use it sparingly. I know the "book" says every 4-6 hours, but GX told me (and others, anecdotally) every 10 hours or so to take a turn.

I bought some to give it a whirl, and wouldn't hesitate to use it when the time comes. My product below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grey-Kiwi
Sorry @F6Hawk , that link doesn't work.
Thanks Kerry, have bookmarked that.
Found this that some have mentioned too.
https://www.amazon.com/Grade-Grease...6e-a929-9b03c25a5a6a&pd_rd_i=B08FZHF7JX&psc=1
I can't swear that what am using is good, but I got my info here: https://blog.roninsgrips.com/the-cs...grease-to-your-compressor-and-refill-the-pot/

What you listed may be just as good and is definitely cheaper! I might have bought it if I knew about it before I bought the Haynes grease.

There are some who intend to make a killing selling tiny amounts of grease for these compressors.

In any case, good luck to both of us!

All my best!

Kerry

Reactions: Grey-Kiwi