• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

GX CS4 cooling mod (same as Yong Heng)?

I notice that the Target Forge guy has a youtube video showing the CS4 running with temperature sensors recording the temps.
His readout was shown after the test as this...

CS4 Thermal.jpg

The temp of the cylinder was the highest, which had me thinking that maybe in the interest of a longer life for the pump we could do a similar thing as per this Yong Heng mod from a forum member.
https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/some-yong-heng-water-cooling.1257844/
I can't see it hurting by making the cylinder head run a tad cooler, and the mod is easy to do.

I notice that the Target Forge guy has a youtube video showing the CS4 running with temperature sensors recording the temps.
His readout was shown after the test as this...

View attachment 442390
The temp of the cylinder was the highest, which had me thinking that maybe in the interest of a longer life for the pump we could do a similar thing as per this Yong Heng mod from a forum member.
https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/some-yong-heng-water-cooling.1257844/
I can't see it hurting by making the cylinder head run a tad cooler, and the mod is easy to do.
That was a four(4) hour run Target Forge did. You should be able to top off any tank in four hours. I filled a 100 CF tank from empty in two runs with the GX 4. Two or three hours is about as long as I wish to monitor a fill. Personally think the cooling of the GX 4 is adequate

There is an optimal temperature for moving parts,our goal is to know it and maintain it:unsure:
Hence my use of temperature probes. I measure Ambient, Coolant, Head, and Motor temps. If the coolant & head temps are staying around 113°-118° F, I don't see a need for adding any mods that make the unit harder to use or less portable. Just my opinion, of course.

If I want it to run cooler, I'll bring it indoors where I keep the temp at 70° F and the humidity will be lower.

Reactions: two4spooky
No, I have the Yong Heng, I just want something quieter and something I can take with me.Plus I am a "nut" I have to have 2 of everything.
Nothing wrong with that!

Yeah, I can see how the CS4 would fit that niche. Exactly why I chose it over a bulkier compressor such as the Alkin or Bauer (great compressors, just more of a permanent thing).

Nothing wrong with that!

Yeah, I can see how the CS4 would fit that niche. Exactly why I chose it over a bulkier compressor such as the Alkin or Bauer (great compressors, just more of a permanent thing).
I have been well pleased so far(~15 hours run time) with the GX CS 4 for topping off 100CF and 18CF bottles to 4500PSI. Also picked up a GX L E2(4+hours) as a "That looks neat, interesting" kind of thing to play with. Happy with it also as direct a fill to gun but I limit my run times to around 5 minutes(heat) and 3700PSI for the little one which is usually enough.

Yes, quite right...but I do like to 'muck about' with machinery, and this wee pump looks to be a tinkerers dream.
I can see a few mods appearing as more of them get sold around the world.
I'm only filling direct to a gun (at present) so the pump will hardly get warm...but a tank can be next on the list now I'm getting a pump that will do the job.
Yeah, I can understand the "muck about" aspect. I added a large molecular sieve, then a one-way-valve, then an hour meter to the CS 4. I have some LEDs sitting on the bench waiting to install to monitor water flow. Fun to tinker with. In my limited experience, less than a year with PCPs, the GX CS 4 would work well if you plan on adding a SCBA tank..

Reactions: Grey-Kiwi
Yeah, I can understand the "muck about" aspect. I added a large molecular sieve, then a one-way-valve, then an hour meter to the CS 4. I have some LEDs sitting on the bench waiting to install to monitor water flow. Fun to tinker with. In my limited experience, less than a year with PCPs, the GX CS 4 would work well if you plan on adding a SCBA tank..
Tell me more about the LED's. How will you mount them? What/where/etc?
I can see me doing that as my first mod.
Thanks for any inspirational ideas!

One way to add LEDs to the cs4.

I outlined my method here:

Wish you were here in the US, I bought 8 of them, and still have 6, would love to gift a couple to ya!

Edited to add:

Hard to see from the pics in my thread, but I didn't cut nor splice any wires. For the LEDs, I soldered both wires to the back side of the board from the water pump connector, and for the hourmeter, I soldered the wires to the back of the fan connector. Next time I take my cover off, I will try to take close-up pictures of my solder connections and update my thread.

If anyone has any questions about this, feel free to PM me and I can walk you thru it.

Last edited:
I am only copying what others have already done and posted as said above. And I have not done the LED light mod yet. I will likely have questions for the above posters.