GX CS4 Compressor - Initial Impressions

Yep, got it and responded! Someone here or on another forum had mentioned there is a distributor in the U.S. that supplies parts for the GX Compressors, I don't recall who the vendor is, but if they have parts, they probably could also answer any maintenance questions about the GX Compressors. Maybe will post it again for us...
Might check with Target Forge as they supply some GX parts:

Cheers,

-PJ

Reactions: BanjomanMI76
Thank you! I knew I had read there was a US based vendor who had the GX Parts, but couldn't recall who! Now I know! Thanks...
So I'm wondering on the CS4 what or how do they spreads the grease evenly 360 degrees around the Cylinder walls to lube it like you manually do with the CX2-3 models ? That would seem crucial to long life. If its just injecting grease into the cylinder or depositing it on top of the piston and not spreading it all the way around the piston and cylinder walls then that would lead me to believe it's just a gimmick, Remember were talking 4 stages of compression how are they all lubed???. So please enlighten me!, Grease is thick, Unlike silicone oil that would spread out on top of the piston to coat and lube the cylinder walls. I think at this point I would go with the CX models as pulling the head off is a piece of cake 10 min's max. , And you could inspect it as well while you are doing your Basic maintenance, Before I dish out that kind of money I would like to know exactly how that Grease pot works. The water cooling system is just basically a CPU cooler only a maybe bit larger I get that half. But as far as the Grease Pot I'm thinking it's still going to have just as much maintenance as that Grease has to be going somewhere and will still need to be cleaned out even if it's burnt-up. So inquiring minds like me would like to know just how is the grease distributed to provide adequate piston ring lubrication for 4 stages of compression and does that pot also include lubing the other 3 stages as well???? GX pump needs to wake-up and provide real schematics and information on their products. They would sell a hell of a-lot more products if people had some knowledge of what their buying. A good example is when I ask multiple questions to Jason Song all he reply's is. {It Work Long Time No Worry} :ROFLMAO: I received that from him about 4 times:rolleyes: If their worried about other companies copying their technology That would be a Joke as all Chinese companies copy American and Chinese products every single day! And simply reverse engineer them. All you have to do is buy one and tear it apart, So what's the big secret?? So how does the grease pot operate and how are these 4 stages getting lubed??

I agree. The specs for the price seem pretty good. But lifespan filling tanks is questionable and lubing and rebuilding is a big unknown. I highly doubt the grease pot can do a decent job lubing a 4 stages. So the seals and valves are going to fail at some point requiring disassembly and rebuild. Also I would like to see more photos of the mechanicals. Other low cost compressors have many compromises for cost reasons and aren't designed for long life. This is all a moot point if you would be happy with just 3 years of service at a know cost. Then from Amazon and get the extended warranty. If you buy from another vendor and have a stated 1 year warranty shipping it back and forth with the turn around time to me is unacceptable with the possibility that it will cease to work after 1 year.

Just to be clear, I'm just a consumer who bought one and am just reporting my impressions/experience! I don't work for GX, nor am I a mechanic, so if you're looking to me for answers, I have as many questions as the rest of you! I'm sure at some point, someone will tear one apart and share the inner working of the CS4, but it won't be me. I'm happy just filling my airguns, and when it needs maintenance I'll reach out to GX or Target Forge for the parts I need and do what needs to be done.

I will say that I have owned several compressors over the past 7 years and a lot have failed. I tried to rebuild some with no luck getting them back running as they did when new, so most just get trashed and replaced. Sadly, it's part of the cost of the hobby when dealing with cheap chinese compressors. I personally feel the CS4 may last longer based on experience I have had with the CS3 and the fact it runs slower and does not build up heat like other compressors I have owned in the past. So, if anyone has an answer for decor, please share!

Well said - either pony up for a hill or Bauer , set up a YH or live with these constant failure sceptres
Had two of the Hill pumps. Didn't get 15 minutes between the two of them.

So far so good on the CS-4. Bauer is way to much money for me. The YH was my second choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: ske1eter
Here's an article on how to Fill the Grease Pot on a GX CS4 Compressor. Enjoy

I too like FLgunner, have had several (5) of the china compressors starting with the YH and
on to the cs3(xisico) converted to oil version.
i have a cs2 and 2 vevor 12v portables that get used when i'm in the field hunting.
so they get used sparingly.
i have an F10 shoebox for my tanks that dont get used much.
when my xisico converted cs3 locked up after 26 hours....i got the
new CS4. i have about .6hrs on it so far and it never even breaks a sweat
filling my guns to 300bar.
hopefully GX has hit a homerun with the CS4....time will tell 🤘

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
It would be nice to know the lubrication plan for this (and other) compressors. My YH is splash lubricated. The crankshaft dips into the oil and sprays it around. That's the way a lot of lawn mower engines work. Grease is a higher viscosity lubricant often used under higher loads. Like in ball and roller bearings. But how does the grease travel to where it is needed? how are the pistons lubricated? Things tend to work a lot longer when they are lubricated well.

Refills of grease are after you turn the knob 10 rotations. Each rotation is after 4 to 6 hours run time. So after 40-60 running hours. I only put about 3 hours a year on my YH. This fills a bit slower but it would still seem to take years to exhaust the supply of grease it comes with.

I would also put an extra moisture separator on this compressor to verify the one it comes with really gets all the water out. I like color change beads but even a white absorbent filter would let you see any lubricant or water that gets past the stock filter. I pull my YH filter after each run and squeeze water from it. It is my first filter. I would be surprised it that happened with this unit but I would still use one to check it.

I know FB is not for everyone and a lot of folks want nothing to do with it. I'm not a big fan either, however, this morning I found the GX Pump FB page and sent them a message about parts availability for the CS4. To my shock and amazement, I received a reply within minutes and was told parts are currently on their way to the U.S. warehouse and would be listed on their website once they are available. So, anyone with questions, if you use FB, you may want to message them there, seems they monitor that more than e-mail... Also, I based on the response, I believe you'll be dealing with someone from the U.S., not China!

It would be nice to know the lubrication plan for this (and other) compressors. My YH is splash lubricated. The crankshaft dips into the oil and sprays it around. That's the way a lot of lawn mower engines work. Grease is a higher viscosity lubricant often used under higher loads. Like in ball and roller bearings. But how does the grease travel to where it is needed? how are the pistons lubricated? Things tend to work a lot longer when they are lubricated well.

Refills of grease are after you turn the knob 10 rotations. Each rotation is after 4 to 6 hours run time. So after 40-60 running hours. I only put about 3 hours a year on my YH. This fills a bit slower but it would still seem to take years to exhaust the supply of grease it comes with.

I would also put an extra moisture separator on this compressor to verify the one it comes with really gets all the water out. I like color change beads but even a white absorbent filter would let you see any lubricant or water that gets past the stock filter. I pull my YH filter after each run and squeeze water from it. It is my first filter. I would be surprised it that happened with this unit but I would still use one to check it.
I have a small filter inline on the air-out borrowed from my Benjamin Traveler II and it's basically dry to the touch after 15-30+ minutes of running. I'm not checking with a moisture probe but it probably does have some moisture in it. It's certainly not wet like with the Benjamin or Yong Heng. Seems like the separator is actually doing something.

Reactions: FLgunner