• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

GX-CS3-I

I've had one since August. I only have one PCP so it doesn't get run hard, but it works fine. The only hiccup I experienced only happened once when I wasn't getting a good seal on between the quick disconnect and my gun's fill port (probably stacking error). Repositioning the gun so the whip was straighter fixed that.

I did fill my pressure gauge to dampen it (they ship empty). The filler plug was a bit fused to the gauge and tore a bit at the flange but it still seals, and I Gorilla taped over it as a backup. The instructions don't mention anything about the gauge needing dampening fluid, and the needle didn't jump much without it but I did it anyway to hopefully prolong its life since it also contains the cutoff switch.

I did replace the grease in the motor preemptively. The factory grease is really thick. It ran as is but I after I watched the Target Forge videos I had to see for myself.

I've had one since August. I only have one PCP so it doesn't get run hard, but it works fine. The only hiccup I experienced only happened once when I wasn't getting a good seal on between the quick disconnect and my gun's fill port (probably stacking error). Repositioning the gun so the whip was straighter fixed that.

I did fill my pressure gauge to dampen it (they ship empty). The filler plug was a bit fused to the gauge and tore a bit at the flange but it still seals, and I Gorilla taped over it as a backup. The instructions don't mention anything about the gauge needing dampening fluid, and the needle didn't jump much without it but I did it anyway to hopefully prolong its life since it also contains the cutoff switch.

I did replace the grease in the motor preemptively. The factory grease is really thick. It ran as is but I after I watched the Target Forge videos I had to see for myself.
Two questions sir.
1. what type or brand of "oil" did you put in the gauge? And could that not hamper the shut-off part from working properly?
2. Did you replace the grease in the gearbox when you first got it before using it, or did you use it for a while first?

Thx
Ray

Two questions sir.
1. what type or brand of "oil" did you put in the gauge? And could that not hamper the shut-off part from working properly?
2. Did you replace the grease in the gearbox when you first got it before using it, or did you use it for a while first?

Thx
Ray
1. I used thick silicone oil for the gauge (had it on hand, glycerin would be cheaper). It has not affected the auto shutoff. And though I use the auto shutoff I don't rely on it.

2. Used it awhile first. I haven't done testing to say the grease change helps or hinders, but it made me feel better after changing it. I just used Super lube NLGI 2 synthetic grease (same stuff to have for around for piston lube).

Also I did clean out the factory piston grease and did a light lube after a month. I figured it would not hurt cleaning out the factory break in grease. I don't know if it was necessary but it made me feel better.

I have this same compressor and initially I had no problems, but then as it is with everythng else on earth it started showing wear.
I would advise that you pay close attention to th operating guidelines for this small compressor and especially concerning the run and cool down times. I used it to fill a 90 cu in. Bottle and then fill my
rifle from the bottle, but if I had it to do all over again, I would only use the bottle for in field use and fill the gun directly as much as possible to cut down on run time.
Concerning parts and repairs, I have only found two places:
1. Target Forge
2. GX Pump
I like this compressor, but no matter what they say, it requires maintenance to keep running as intended.
J.

Reactions: Chris_K
Hello Chris,
My first encounter with a problem was the compressor started taking longer to reach the desired pressure. This was initially an easy fix by removing the #61 cylinder head and cleaning out the insides of old grease and then applying a dab of Super Lube. This was the remedy for a while, but in reality the #72 primary piston ring needed to be replaced. If your not familiar with how to do this, I suggest that you look up the Target Forge web site because Bill Ruehl has many applicable videos concerning maintaining and repairing these little compressors.
My second problem I thought was related to the high pressure seals and seat assembly replacement. At this point the pump would not pressure up beyond 1000 psi, so I ordered the #74 primary piston assembly(complete) and replaced that thinking that would fix the low pressure problem……it did not.
My third attempt was to replace the #12 chassis body (cylinder housing)…… that didn’t work as well.
My forth attemp #43 check valve assembly (complete) has not arrived yet.
My fifth problem was my fault…… I broke the main shut off switch (toggle) on the lower front of the unit when I turned it face down. I found the replacement part @ GX Pump ($40.00 they refunded $10.)
I will have to wait until my new switch arrives to see if my latest compressor part will now allow it to work.
I was told that the biggest problem with these compressors not pressuring up is air leaks…….. I have soaked every possible connection on this unit many times …..and no leaks.
As you can see my budget friendly compressor purchase has gain considerably in value.
J.

Last edited: