• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

GX CS2 portable pcp air compressor thoughts?

Oil-less Water-less = Disposable and most have a recommended rebuild time of 20 hours or so. Still if you need the 12V option and are not in need of filling tanks and abusing the thing they can last a couple of years. 

The Yong Heng is a much better designed unit for the same amount of money. But no 12V and it does have a water cooling system. Because it is water cooled and has oil in the crankcase it should last years longer than the GX.

I bought that compressor not too long ago and have only used it three times. It actually works good. For how long I do not know. I’ll keep an eye on the temperature by putting my hand on top of it as it is pumping. When it starts to get pretty warm,I shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes. It will fill to 3000 psi fairly quick without getting too warm. Once you get over that amount is when it takes a little longer and starts to get pretty warm. I had one little issue at first because it wasn’t filling up to 3600 psi at first And so I checked the connections and one of them wasn’t very tight. After I tightened it up and filled it up to 3600 with no problem.

I bought one over a year ago to top off the herd and so far have not had any problems whatever. The main reason for purchase was the 12v option for topping off while out and about in field. Figured I'd spend at least that much buying a tank to carry about, so glad I bought GX. It's like RIPPER said just keep an eye on the unit head temperature and as for me if the GX lasts only four years it's still worth it not to hand pump amen. Also got that four year warranty, why worry.👌

The GX CS2 I have works great and I am happy with mine. Goodbye pumping forever. These criticisms are very minor. I needed to add a couple of things for my applications. The CS2 comes with a large bulky external water filter, which is threaded and adds way more metal bulk to the already bulky gauge box where the gun quick disconnect is located. The CS3 has a small inline water filter already built in and I think the power supply is internal. What I find strange is the CS3 model suddenly disappeared from Amazon just in the last day or two. 

The second thing I don't like about the CS2 is they put the gauge box at the end of the line quick disconnect where you connect to the gun. This causes two problems. First is the quick disconnect is a fitting on the box with no hose. The problem this creates is this will not fit in there on some carbines etc with a longer tube and moderator like a Huntsman XL. Second thing is you have this big clunky metal box dangling close to the rifle all the time just begging to scratch it at some point especially for tube end fills without an adapter. 

I put on a 24inch microbore hose with quick disconnect and a smaller inline water filter also with QD’s. Now I have a 24” hose with QD that will fit anything and gives me more room between the compressor and the gun allowing me more options on how and where I do fills. I did both these fixes for less than $40. Using the 24” microbore and inline water filter only extends the fill time maybe 25%. I first used a standard hose at 36” and I could not believe what an air hog it was. It doubled the fill time.

The good thing is they are quiet and AC/DC. There are no messy bulky oil and water systems. The manufacturer on Amazon has been amazing with support and answering questions. Since these are really inexpensive they are not worth shipping both ways and evaluation, repair and parts. If it stops functioning they send you another one. The manufacturer gives one year then the Amazon extended warranty gives you another 3/4 years. If the product evolves away or they stop making it they send you a suitable replacement. Since you are at the bottom of the price range for compressors and this brand they pretty much have to move you up a little.

Reactions: BanjomanMI76
I don’t trust any of the Chinese compressors, oilless, waterless or even high end, eventually they all breakdown and you get very little or no help from the venders. The pages here are full of sad stories about the experiences.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Roachcreek

So those that have used a "chinese compressor" for 2+ or even 3+ years haven't been well served by them, especially in light of the low cost? OK

I don’t trust any of the Chinese compressors, oilless, waterless or even high end, eventually they all breakdown and you get very little or no help from the venders. The pages here are full of sad stories about the experiences.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Roachcreek

I looked around pretty good and saw sad stories about everything under an absolute minimum of about $2000. Most that are more money still have the minimum amount of Chinese parts to still say made in their country about 50%. Even with all that boasting about made in good countries and paying top dollar the warranties are minimal considering the ROI involved. Most I saw were in the 2 year range. Then you have tanks, gauges, hoses, filters, fittings etc.

You pretty much have to get into commercial grade equipment and most of us considering these compressors just don't shoot that much. We wouldn't even have it broken in after five years and the ROI would be many years out. Most of the buyers in this price range are sick of pumping or physically unable while also not having a close place to cheaply fill 4500 PSI tanks which new are also considerably more than a small compressor. Most don't have the area for the storage size, weight, noise and power etc for commercial equipment. 

I sure wish there was a happy medium. 

"sad stories about EVERYTHING under an ABSOLUTE minimum of about $2000."

Sadly overgeneralized, IMO. Yes, less expensive will probably mean more issues. Common sense should suggest that. But plenty of people ON THIS FORUM have reported good lifespan and service from several types of those compressors that are well under "about $2000" in cost.

Because I wanted to fill bottles I made my own system involving a Altaros Booster, Altaros is known to most of us, and 2 American quiet shop compressors. It is assembled with a few hoses and fittings probably made on China. Communication with Altaros has a been a overnight email correspondence in English. I have called the tech department at CAT and it was an enjoyable experience. And I trust both companies based on their track record.

I really wanted a Air Venturi 4500, but the horror stories about shipping back and forth for when it breaks down, and compressors all eventually do, except ones costing as much as a small import pick-up, and the big deal killer for me, the oil smell produced by oil lubed 4500 psi compressors. I plan on selling my house as soon as this Covid thing ends and building my retirement home in Asia, when I do, I don’t want my house smelling like a JiffyLube.

The things that need attention and rebuilding/replacement on my system are orings on the Altaros Booster, and replacement of one of the CAT compressors, which are warranted through Walmart, are shipper proof due to a roll bar, and as a plug and play replacement they costs $400.00 and are less than a week away. But it will run with one CAT and they are so quiet. I run 12 inch fans on each CAT to keep the cylinders cool and extend the life of the oilers compressors and of course to cut down on heat and therefore water production. The Altaros is self cooling and it runs very cool. As is, I can run it at night as I sleep, it shuts off at the desired pressure, if I have a leak it will restart and top off the bottle.

Another advantage of the Altaros is that for less than $200.00 I can fill bottle to bottle with air, nitrogen and helium.

As I get older, good sleep seems to be a finite thing, worrying about my compressor is a trust thing that makes good sleep an elusive quarry, so it is about trust and in this case after reading about Chinese compressors breaking down and no parts and warrantee service it further fuels my distrust of Chinese compressors.

Yes, I know some shooters are running the YH compressors, and if that works for you fine, but if I don’t trust $1300. Chinese compressors you can guess how I feel about the so called disposables. I have a Hatsan Spark on my garage floor, it runs, you have to babysit it to to keep it from cooking itself. But it does for now fill airguns, but not bottles, and being a Chinese disposable I don’t trust it.

Like the Shoebox, my set up is slow, but I can’t shoot enough to run out of air these days.

‘However, if what your using keeps you shooting, go for it.

Regards,

Roachcreek

EF963D24-E4E8-4E4D-895B-D251588B7A2E.1620595311.jpeg

That is the point. Different strokes. Glad you are happy with your setup-it looks perfectly functional. I couldn't stand the slow speed. But that is me, not you. I never "lost sleep" over my Yong Heng, even when it was my only compressor. Sure sorry that you may have. All relative. The other newer GS type $400 range compressors mentioned are also "all relative". Whatever works for YOU (anyone) is what YOU (anyone) should do. Certainly no reason to buy one of "anything" if the "worry" would bother any given individual. If that is the main concern, there is always the ALKIN. Happy shooting.

"Yes, less expensive will probably mean more issues. Common sense should suggest that." 

Sadly overgeneralized as well. A lot of times more expensive is just more features and complexities which is more to go wrong. Costs can also increase from faster, larger, better looks, rebranding, marketing, sales channel, higher profits etc adding to expense but not reliability or decreasing issues. 

I also found people who “liked” all products in all price ranges. What I personally did not find was much of a decline in issues and problems across the price range until getting to the low end commercial compressors. I did find increases in all the above features, speed, volumes, times etc. but not substantial declines in issues over less expensive units with less features. Yep, another generalization but what the heck... lol

I am currently happy with my little GX CS2. It makes sense for my applications and current situation. I would absolutely love to have someone give me a $2500 generator but it would be total overkill. Maybe if the government gives us some more helicopter money!

I bought this compressor October of this year and it stopped working today ( just one month) Used it less than 10 times filling from 150 to 250 bar. Contacted Amazon and the seller today and see where it goes as is still under the one year manufacturer warranty. I also bought the 4 year warranty just in case. The pump is good until it's not. I read some amazon reviews with the same problem but still took the gamble and lost. 

I fill one or two rifles a day with mine. I put on a larger gauge (bad eyes) which sucks up a little more air too. At seven months it still works and sounds like the day I bought it... chug chug chug. My buddy bought the next model up for $100 more and he is good at 5 months. The seller on Amazon appears to be real good on service. These are disposable so they just send you a new one. Same with Square Deals who has the 4 year warranty. If they discontinue this one you get the next model up.