Guys who shoot .30 slugs..

Do you feel this is a difficult caliber to shoot slugs? Ive been playing with a .22 slug shooter and wow is it way way less hold sensitive. Just curious on what others feel is the “ easiest” slug caliber to tune. My .30 slugs are deadly accurate, but they will let you know in a hurry if your not doing your job.

Last edited:
The .30 cal slug it is not a difficult caliber to shoot. It is horrible and a shame for the air gun and ammo industries. You can search and you will find some honest reviews from people that have expended a large amount of money, time and energy (like me) trying all kinds of .30 cal slugs, different weights and manufacturers and none of them worked. The most frustrating and disappointing experience is the fact that you get a great group on one target only to find out that it is not repeatable at all when you shoot the next lousy group on the next target. It gets worse because you may have one good day at the range just to find out a horrible day next time. The best you can hope for is an ok group at 50 yards, at 100 yards or beyond it is basically impossible. This defeats the whole purpose of shooting slugs, since slugs are supposed to be best for long distance shooting. What air rifle and ammo companies do not tell you is that besides the more of $2000 dollars one expended on the gun one has to spend most likely another two thousand modifying the gun and hopefully you will get an air rifle in .30 cal that you can feel confident will shoot .30 cal slugs accurately at long distances. Now, be aware there are plenty of reviews of bias youtubers claiming otherwise. Another fact, try finding reviews for .30 cal slugs posting groups at 100 yards or beyond. Till the air gun an maufacturers get their act together, I have found more evidence the .25 cal slugs is the way to go, we cannot trust them.

Been playing with .177 cal slugs for few months now .... crazy accurate and flat shooting. ( have .177 .22 .25 & .30 cal slugs and guns that can shoot em !! )

Easiest slug caliber I've found is .22

Now as too the .30 .... have some NSA 43's that shoot only @ 20 fps slower than 44.75 JSB's and while they have better BC and don't drop as much, there still a short and fat projectile and really IMO no where as good a long range slug as a longer and lessor frontal area .25 or .22 and no where near as slippery as a .177

Retained energy nearly always goes to heavier weights no matter caliber .. so pending what your trying to do, game size etc .... Sometimes less caliber is more.

It's just fun playing with differing calibers just like it is with powder .... Same applies, sometimes you need more gun, sometimes less is good enough.
Been playing with .177 cal slugs for few months now .... crazy accurate and flat shooting. ( have .177 .22 .25 & .30 cal slugs and guns that can shoot em !! )

Easiest slug caliber I've found is .22

Now as too the .30 .... have some NSA 43's that shoot only @ 20 fps slower than 44.75 JSB's and while they have better BC and don't drop as much, there still a short and fat projectile and really IMO no where as good a long range slug as a longer and lessor frontal area .25 or .22 and no where near as slippery as a .177

Retained energy nearly always goes to heavier weights no matter caliber .. so pending what your trying to do, game size etc .... Sometimes less caliber is more.

It's just fun playing with differing calibers just like it is with powder .... Same applies, sometimes you need more gun, sometimes less is good enough.
The .30 cal slug it is not a difficult caliber to shoot. It is horrible and a shame for the air gun and ammo industries. You can search and you will find some honest reviews from people that have expended a large amount of money, time and energy (like me) trying all kinds of .30 cal slugs, different weights and manufacturers and none of them worked. The most frustrating and disappointing experience is the fact that you get a great group on one target only to find out that it is not repeatable at all when you shoot the next lousy group on the next target. It gets worse because you may have one good day at the range just to find out a horrible day next time. The best you can hope for is an ok group at 50 yards, at 100 yards or beyond it is basically impossible. This defeats the whole purpose of shooting slugs, since slugs are supposed to be best for long distance shooting. What air rifle and ammo companies do not tell you is that besides the more of $2000 dollars one expended on the gun one has to spend most likely another two thousand modifying the gun and hopefully you will get an air rifle in .30 cal that you can feel confident will shoot .30 cal slugs accurately at long distances. Now, be aware there are plenty of reviews of bias youtubers claiming otherwise. Another fact, try finding reviews for .30 cal slugs posting groups at 100 yards or beyond. Till the air gun an maufacturers get their act together, I have found more evidence the .25 cal slugs is the way to go, we cannot trust them.