• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Guys using Labradar or FX outdoor Chrono?

Can anyone tell me how much their airgun journey has changed especially if for the better when using a Labradar or FX outdoor chrono or whatever that new one is?

I don't trust the numbers coming off the pocket chrono as I noticed that shot angle and other things can change the reading. I tune for accuracy anyways but I would love something more accurate. I am completely green when it comes to either of the products mentioned so just looking for some first hand insight.

I've tested the TBC against multiple chronos, Caldwell, Competition Electronics, FX pocket and it seems to be the most accurate. The key is keeping the rifle in the same location and pointing at the same place. Standing vs using a sled shows a bigger difference in spread. I'm guessing due to the radar picking up the projectile in different locations.

Can anyone tell me how much their airgun journey has changed especially if for the better when using a Labradar or FX outdoor chrono or whatever that new one is?

I don't trust the numbers coming off the pocket chrono as I noticed that shot angle and other things can change the reading. I tune for accuracy anyways but I would love something more accurate. I am completely green when it comes to either of the products mentioned so just looking for some first hand insight.
I used a Labradar for many years. I was most interested in calculating the BC at different distances (I'd like to think this is what helped me win Extreme Field Target) because my holdover (clicks) at various distances were quite a bit different after I input multi-BC's.

While things may have changed with the Labradar, back in the day I was forced to calculate BC's manually, which was a royal PitA. I don't own a FX Outdoors Chrono, but I understand it has some type of BC calculator built in.

-Michael

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I have a standard (optical) chronograph, the pocket radar and a Labradar.

The Chrony is a pain to setup and use; the pocket radar works well and is very convenient.

The Labradar is great, use it all the time! Call it my "Orange Stenographer" as it's always close by taking notes for me. Love that I can transfer the files to Excel and plot graphs. I'm in the habit of add the string and shot number to my notes and the target so I can tie the velocity information to the group.

The thing about the radar chronographs is that you have to watch for radar reflective surfaces (meaning about anything thats in the beam) that can cause false data to be bounced back at the unit. Think of the radar as a powerful flashlight that if too much light is reflected back can blind (or confuse) the unit.

Most of The problems/issues with the radar unit can be traced back to the unit being improperly setup and/or configured. Don't ask how I know this 😉

In truth, I don't think it doesn't matters much if the numbers aren't 100% accurate - they are going to be close enough for practical purposes. What is important is that you are consistent in your setup so that the results be repeatable and therfore relevant to what you are measuring.

Cheers!

Getting back into PCP‘s after years in the powder burners, I can say that I enjoy the ease of use and graphing that comes with the FX pocket crony and their App. I have a Lab radar, and Crony Beta. I am shooting my air rifle into my lower lot, which has me shooting within a few feet over a berm that is located about 20’ in front of me. The FX is able to give me accurate readings where the Labradar wasn’t picking up my shots, even with the air rifle adapter. My use case is for tuning and collecting the data.