• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Guys not answering Messages is annoying

Hey guys, how about having the common courtesy of answering messages when they are sent to you?

I know most guys on this forum are awesome, I’ve had great dealings here with most guys but there are a few guys who are newer and can’t seem to answer messages. 

If you are selling something, or trying to sell or trade, answering questions might help you get a deal going. It’s not like the questions I have sent are ridiculous or lowball offers. Not going to call out names but how about figuring things out? I’m going to have to add a couple guys to my do not deal with list. If you can’t answer messages then I can’t trust that you are safe to deal with anyway.

Am I out of line here? I think I’m being reasonable but let me know if I’m crazy and I’ll reset my expectations.

Rant over, carry on with normal business …

No, you're not out of line - it can be annoying. I've had the same thing happen and yes, the offending user automatically goes down a few notches in my opinion.

I too try to answer all questions quickly and completely. Even after something may have already sold and is posted up as such. Although I will admit to making some terse responses to some who may have made a spectacularly lowball offer for some items. But at least I have responded.

There are some extenuating circumstances though. There have been times when I did not receive an email ping when I received a PM on AGN, although this has not happened recently. There are also times when I am away from internet access, and have little-to-no cell reception (like when I'm up at the Cowboy range). But I still try to respond as quickly as possible. And I understand that some (generally working stiffs) can't be accessing the AGN forums as frequently as I do. I appreciate those who post something up for sale, but list in their ad that they might not be able to respond immediately to messages.

Responding to a PM is a courtesy, and it quickly becomes apparent who was raised to be courteous and who was not.

I hate it when people post an ad with no pictures or a stock picture that's not the actual item they're selling.

I can't imagine what they're thinking but I don't do business with them.

RANT ON...

It's annoying when a "representative" picture contains a scope and a bipod, and the ad says, "pictured scope and bipod not included".

RANT OFF...

Other than that, I always get answers to my PMs, no problems there.

If someone doesn't respond they don't sell or buy. I suggest moving on. 

I've bought 2 and sold 2 airguns here and never got feedback. Was hoping to but I just live with it. 

The reasons for no response could be unexpected. Family member died, busy life, sold, want a higher offer, communicating on a different offer, someone lost their job. Who the heck knows.

If you made a lower offer than asking maybe they just figure silence is a way of saying no, not enough and they're not taking your offer or even taking it seriously. We can't force people to respond and we can't force them to even engage. That's it, to me. 

I don't take it personally 

My work email can receive 150+ messages a day. I have to manage those in order to get anything done. Because of this I turn off email notifications from boards such as this, in order to keep my sanity. I do not see messages until I log in, perhaps once a week. Using AN is strictly a pleasure, for me. I do agree, though, that when one is selling something they should be more attentive to incoming messages.

I had the same problem. with a guy looking to buy a specific pcp pistol and I had one almost new in my safe I never use so I responded. He wanted pictures so I sent them right away and even included an item I let him choose in the pic so he knew it was my item and not a stolen pic. He didn't respond until I sent another email asking if he received it. He finally responded and said he liked the pics and my price but wasn't in any hurry? I told him if he wanted it I wanted a USPS money order for payment. Again, I had to ask if he got it after no response. Finally a reply saying he doesn't trust MO. and wanted to do pay pal! I don't have pay pal but told him we could use my wifes account. Again no response. I finally after a few days just listed it locally and sold it within one hour. I sent the original guy an email and told him since he never responded I sold it to someone else. I hate people that play games. I bent over backwards for this guy and he was too rude to even respond.

Guys I absolutely agree with you however please allow me to present a different view. I am an old man and struggle tremendously with the continually changing computers. Airgun Nation is always changing things but it’s has to in order to improve things. I can barely get a picture posted & it takes me forever to get a video posted. I have a smart phone too which is much smarter than me. I miss calls that go to voice mail and I had the phone with me the entire time AND it didn’t ring or vibrate. Keep in mind that I want to reply I just may not see it timely.😊 Gal.5:22

Chuck

Misenheimer’s Custom Leather