Gunsmith tool kit

“Comprehensive” is difficult due to the different types of rifles out there and types of repairs/modifications you want to make. Not knowing exactly what you want to accomplish, I’d suggest you start with a Wheeler Engineering 72 piece screwdriver set and one of their FAT wrenches. You really need the right size bit for each rifle screw and this assortment should handle everything but the really exotic. The FAT wrench is a torque wrench that lets you consistently set the tension of all your rifle and scope mount screws. Between the two of them you have a good starting point for most tasks. I have used both of them on a wide variety of rifles over the last 10+ years with good results. Hope that helps.

and some measuring tools, a digital caliper and a 6 inch stainless rule in inch and metric and a good set of punches

I use a Carrera precision caliper Cp5906 not expensive and a General NO.311.me rule

one other thing that will help is a set on Screw Chek'r in both metric and inch

I have a set of Pachmayr bit and handle, it's a start and you can add bits as needed

https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-03047-31Piece-Tool-Kit/dp/B002GJNECY

and small 3 to 6 oz brass hammer

IPS pliers WL-270s and PH-200 they are a must have for Diana model 5 and 6 pistols

just some ideas

good luck mike

No bad suggestions above but I'll toss this out there. The gunsmithing kits I've looked at, include (at least for the many pcp's I've owned) a lot of stuff/bits/pieces that you may never use. A set of Bondhus t-handle allens in both metric and SAE will cover 75%+ of your needs and they are useful (at least for me) for tons of other stuff around the house/garage/equipment. You'll still find a need for smaller size wrenches if you are working on your PCP's so I also have a regular set of Metric and SAE that have a much wider variety (and much smaller) wrenches. Just a thought. I have a garage full of tools I've accumulated for specific reasons and have really been blown away by how often I find good but not necessarily specific use tools have been way more useful overall

Don't forget a good punch set and a good roll pin punch set. I like to keep a small crescent wrench and a small pair of channel locks handy too. A socket set comes in handy at times too. Sometimes you need a long screwdriver to remove stocks. A vice is a must have tool also.

Bob in WV

Depends on the vice. If your vice is drinking or drugs, it might get in the way of accurate gunsmithing. 

Regarding the punch set...I have a punch set from Harbor Freight, buy I will be getting a gun specific set of better quality soon, both the plain punch set and a roll pin set. Wheeler makes some pretty good tools that don't break the bank...

Don't forget Brownells . They have the most gun related tools I've seen... very high quality as well. The professionals source. I've been using some of their tools for over 30 years with little wear and no breakage yet. The have gun related machining tools as well.

I have also had to make a lot of my tools. Most not elegant but functional .

Bob