Guns you regret not buying sooner

Anyone else out there go through this? I was hesitant for a long time, couple years I think, on getting a RTI. I've been interested in them since they came out with them. Thought it looked like a very simple rugged design. But was always thinking they didn't look comfortable at all to get behind, didn't like the fact that it was only left sided cocking, and quick barrel change system to me just doesn't always mean great barrel lockups. But decided after trying many different guns to go ahead and try it. I really really regret not getting one sooner. However did get it on sale so can't complain there. But really there's quite a few guns I likely would have never tried and lost money on selling if I had this before. The gun just impresses me everytime I shoot it. I have the compact version with 400mm CZ barrel in .22. I really wanted the .22 Standard with the LR barrel as I thought that would make it more accurate at distance. Well I don't see how the gun can get anymore accurate. I debate all the time of ordering up a kit with the barrel but shooting it I just see no reason as don't think I can gain much from my 30fpe shooting. The comfort level of the gun isn't the highest but have had zero issues with it at all in my shooting. The cocking on the left, while I do wish I could have the right side as an option, works great for 95% of my shooting. Also the barrel system is very secure and haven't had a POI shift ever and that's being used hard bouncing around in my truck and everything. 

Curious what other guns some of you guys wish you would have gotten sooner but we're hesitant on for any reason.

@DairyBoy For me? Definitely the EDgun Lelya 2.0. Such a compact, robust, and powerful hunting tool and truck gun. I really enjoy this rifle. I’ve taken it through its paces and it still impresses me. As a hunter I’ve taken a number of animals with it. In hindsight I should’ve started out with one, but was initially intimidated by the price tag. Good shot count and fairly easy to work on. Plenty of resources available for support as well. Parts are fairly easy to source and they don’t cost an arm and a leg. 

I’ve been seeing the RTIs gaining traction lately. They appear to be very accurate guns. They remind me of Impacts the way Prophets are built. 

None really. Owned Taipans, Edguns and RTI’s before they were cool, plus others. Some had growing pains but the concept behind the product was solid so I stuck with them. RTI kept pressing forward which is respectful. Taipan thumbed their noses at guys crying for a foreword cocking lever because their product is just so solid. Also respectable. I’m guessing that some day when I buy a Crown or a Daystate Wolverine, I will look up this topic and say why the heck did I wait so long to buy one of these.

RTI Prophet performance 22lr... I kept putting it off thinking it was an unknown company...who knows if they will even will make it in the air rifle game. It looked uncomfortable and left handed cocking I wasn't sure about.. I dont mind the left handed cocking while bench shooting but I'm not a fan when taking it hunting. I have to move my left off the main support of the rifle to adjust my AO side focus on the scope or for a fast follow up shot causing me to loose my sight picture in my scope. That's my only small issue with it. But learning to deal with it.. I got where I really, really like that rifle and should have bought one earlier...My left handed cocking issues didn't detour me enough to stop me from buying 2 RTI compacts (22cal for the wife...she loves it) and a 25cal for myself when they went on sale. I'm liking the compact quite a bit also. Its already been on several pest removal outings on the farm and I find myself taking it with me when i head out. Easily hangs in the tractor, sxs or whatever I'm in that day. I had no idea they are tiny accurate cannons... I kinda wish I got those earlier also.

stormrider 177 with a sumo on it .. thats the gun i grab now usually when things are afoot around the house .. it shoots flat out to the fenceline from a window, is handy quiet and shoots walmart ammo .. its rung alot of bells on over confident pests around here lately ...

IMG_20220517_100452.1652796499.jpg

Reactions: davit66
I guess for me it has been Eastern European guns in general, and was partially a non-optimal experience I had with my first one.

I had been shooting mostly English guns - Daystate and Air Arms - (and yes Vetmx, you need to spend some time with a Wolverine...). They were so nicely finished, tuned so well from the factory for smooth and accurate shooting, and were an overall pleasure to shoot and own. Couple years back when I was still fairly new to airgunning I picked up a used RTI Prophet. To me the gun was incredibly harsh to shoot, the action would easily get really gritty, it was very loud and quite sharp to handle. Knowing what I know now this gun just wasn't any fun to me likely due to it being an early model from a smaller company, and even more likely due to it having been tuned 'American style' by its previous owner (MAX POWER!!!).

I had been uninterested in getting a Cricket as I'm not one who likes cocking my gun with my ear. But I did eventually buy a Cricket 2 off the AGN classifieds which had been tuned by Charlie Frear, and which had not been re-tuned by its first owner. What a revelation, and what an incredibly pleasant shooting and accurate gun! The inherent quality and Charlie's fine touch with tuning it showed me what the Eastern Euro guns could be.

Next in line came an AGT Vixen, and then I was sold. More Kalibr's (yes, you do get used to loading a Cricket mag into the gun pretty quickly) and AGT's worked their way into my collection, and even a couple of the simpler EdGuns.

Fast forward to last month and I even decided to re-try RTI. Eastern Euro guns are generally very good value for what you pay, and with the announcement of the Prophet 2, the prices of the current generation of the Prophet Performance guns took a nose-dive. I popped for a .22 LR and couldn't be happier with the current generation guns, especially when not tuned to the max. And even though I don't much like bolt or straight pull actions any more, I couldn't pass up the deeply discounted price of a Priest 2, and what a little gem it seems to be.

I do wish I would have tried some of the Eastern European guns sooner, especially the Cricket 2. There are so many fantastic airguns on the market right now - and we are all very fortunate. What is unfortunate is that sometimes you just get a non-optimal gun (can come from any manufacturer, or be due to a previous owner), and that can sour you on a brand for a while.

I’m with Ranchibi, definitely the RAW HM1000X is the one that I wish I would have purchased years ago. I just fell into the trap of the latest greatest of more knobs, adjuster wheels, power wheels, longer, bigger better must be the bestest. I had read of RAWs but shied away from their seemingly outdated technology as compared to the Sweed’s mega company’s rifle of the month club. What a huge mistake which cost me a LOT of buying, selling, tuning, tweaking and the like all the while chasing that rifle which is the most accurate and reliable which I eventually found in the RAW platform.

well I used to have a brocock 522 pistol, and several sets of reload cartridges.. I rebuilt all the cartridges with industrial heavy duty o rings and it was a great gun you could charge up the cartridges and a few months later shot still full power, sort of got out of airguns for awhile and found out that later they made a golden boy lever action and single six.. really wish I had all 3 and at least 50 cartridges.. but idiot criminals ruined it and now they are not available anymore.. haven't even seen used ones for sale..

Mark