• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Guns used.

Plenty of people still shoot piston class but PCP is pretty big thee days. By all means shoot a springer if you want too. What are you shooting?
I have a Weihrauch 100 and a BRK Ghost both in .22 . I am curious about the piston guns. I'm going to watch a match next month. Kinda trying too see if I fit in. will see

Reactions: Sqwirl57
I have a Weihrauch 100 and a BRK Ghost both in .22 . I am curious about the piston guns. I'm going to watch a match next month. Kinda trying too see if I fit in. will see
Go shoot the match! You'll fit in absolutely fine amd don't worry about how well you do. Tell the match director its your first time so that he pairs you up with someone who can show you the ropes. You'll have a great time

As long as your airgun shoots .22 caliber or smaller at 20 ft-lb or less, there will be a class for you to shoot in. You can change any setting you want on your scope in Open class to help to determine distance to target and get the holdover / elevation correct.

Hunter Field Target class lets you sit on a portable seat and rest your gun on a separate folding bipod (shooting sticks), but it requires you to not adjust your scope and keep the magnification at 16x or smaller and only on a marked magnification number (my scope can go above 16x but my zoom ring has marks at 12x and 20x so I'm shooting at 12x. If you have worked out your dopes using your reticle only (no clicking).

In any FT class an important element is figuring out the distance to each target (ranging) and basically everyone is carefully re-marking their scope's parallax adjustment with every possible distance between 10y and 55y.

Nobody in FT is trying to catch you breaking rules or chastise you for not knowing all of them. (Safety related rules though - are always important and certainly the priority). Like it's been said already, inform the match director that you are brand new and they'll pair you with someone who's in a good position to work with you. For that i get to thank @SDstephan and his wife on my first day.

There are other considerations like shooting sticks, seats, harnesses, kneepads, etc and I encourage you to read them. But if you can bring a gun that's set up to 12 ft-lb rules or 20ft-lb HFT rules, you can start shooting and you'll enjoy it much more and learn much more than watching.

Last edited:
Reading these replies makes me want to try field target, I've looked at the tarheel field target club but always talked myself out of it because of lack of knowledge. May reconsider, but I'd have to buy a different rifle.
Take the chance and go. You won't regret it. Its basically a bunch of grownup kids playing with and talking about their toys. If budget is a concern a cheap Avenger will shoot more than well enough to put a smile on your face.

Reading these replies makes me want to try field target, I've looked at the tarheel field target club but always talked myself out of it because of lack of knowledge. May reconsider, but I'd have to buy a different rifle.
Do not hesitate any longer. Go.
I went to my first outdoor match in 2022. It was the last one they were having for the season. I could hardly wait for the 2023 outdoor matches to start. I attended every match that was held in Tacoma and Brush Prarie Washington. Then drove twice to Ashland Oregon for 2 Grand Prix matches(8hr round trip).
I'd shoot with an old multi-pump if it was all I had!

I'd shoot with an old multi-pump if it was all I had!

I've shot FT with an old pump despite having multiple, highly-capable PCP rigs. Finished in the top third.

RR Sher BS.JPG

"Looks about 40-45 yards, so seven pumps."

I've shot FT with an old pump despite having multiple, highly-capable PCP rigs. Finished in the top third.

View attachment 437731

Well, from what I have read, you're no mortal man! LOL!! Teeheehee

Actually, I think that would be a great "fun" match. Shoot Euro HFT style with multi pumps.
And, I hope you know, I was just funning ya!

Well, from what I have read, you're no mortal man! LOL!! Teeheehee

One of the most flattering compliments I've ever received was, "Ron could win with nothing but a sling-shot and box of rocks." Of course that's quite a stretch.

A box of marbles, maybe...

🤣