• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Guns being used

Centercut mentioned there was a rule change for 2022......

Except that for the 2022 season forward...

6. Air Rifle division is for shooters using a rifle that operates with compressed air to fire a pellet
or slug. Projectiles cannot exceed 85 grains and must be .35 caliber or lower. Projectiles must be
mass produced. Tethered tanks are not allowed.

So, slugs are allowed in all calibers up to .35, with a limit of 85 grains...

055DAEB7-2554-49FA-919A-ECBB9D8C2109.jpeg

Fx impact m3 with all the goodies
.22 cal 25.5 gn slugs
Shot out to 300 yards and beyond

Personally I would want the heaviest slug I could get away with, also the widest, and of course taking precision and BC as top priorities as well. Why??? it's because using a larger caliber will do a few things that would help.
#1 the smallest spinners would be easier to clip on the edge(well all of them would).
#2 it is easier to see where the projectile lands in the dirt or on steel. This affords faster corrections needed for wind and drop.
#3 they have spinners which must be hit at the appropriate time to make it go over a full revolution, and you get bonus points depending on how many revolutions it spins.
#4 it'd be cool to see the faces of the 22rf guys after a NRL22 target gets smacked with a slug twice the weight of those 40gr 22rf's :p;)

Though everything has trade offs. There will be more air used, more recoil, more expensive to shoot, you might have to wait a little longer for a spinner to settle back down to hit it again, etc. Might even be more negative aspects I haven't thought of that won't be realized until experienced.

Last edited:
Centercut mentioned there was a rule change for 2022......

Except that for the 2022 season forward...

6. Air Rifle division is for shooters using a rifle that operates with compressed air to fire a pellet
or slug. Projectiles cannot exceed 85 grains and must be .35 caliber or lower. Projectiles must be
mass produced. Tethered tanks are not allowed.

So, slugs are allowed in all calibers up to .35, with a limit of 85 grains...
Missed that, must have been reading an old page from their site.

Wanting to go to the local matches and compete against the 22lr guys. Really shock them by what a " BB gun " cam really do.

Personally I would want the heaviest slug I could get away with, also the widest, and of course taking precision and BC as top priorities as well. Why??? it's because using a larger caliber will do a few things that would help.
#1 the smallest spinners would be easier to clip on the edge(well all of them would).
#2 it is easier to see where the projectile lands in the dirt or on steel. This affords faster corrections needed for wind and drop.
#3 they have spinners which must be hit at the appropriate time to make it go over a full revolution, and you get bonus points depending on how many revolutions it spins.
#4 it'd be cool to see the faces of the 22rf guys after a NRL22 target gets smacked with a slug twice the weight of those 40gr 22rf's :p;)

Though everything has trade offs. There will be more air used, more recoil, more expensive to shoot, you might have to wait a little longer for a spinner to settle back down to hit it again, etc. Might even be more negative aspects I haven't thought of that won't be realized until experienced.
Agree, and that shows just how talented a shooter Boyd is winning RMAC PRS with relatively low BC lightweight .22 slugs! Quite an accomplishment considering the next 5 or 6 finishers below him shot slugs with close to double the BC of the ones he used, in VERY windy conditions… The second place finisher (Dubber) was essentially shooting a .22 Rimfire with 40 grain slugs at 1050 fps.
Maybe we’ll get lucky and my own personal troll will chime in and give his opinion on the matter…?

Last edited:
Agree, and that shows just how talented a shooter Boyd is winning RMAC PRS with relatively low BC lightweight .22 slugs! Quite an accomplishment considering the next 5 or 6 finishers below him shot slugs with close to double the BC of the ones he used, in VERY windy conditions… The second place finisher (Dubber) was essentially shooting a .22 Rimfire with 40 grain slugs at 1050 fps.

Yes true.

There is a guy here where I live that I mentored years ago. He was just getting into the competition shooting world coming from a hunting background. He had plenty of expendable income so he could buy the best gear and back then it wasn't but a couple years he was up to my level in NRL22. Then he decided to dedicate himself to 2-3 matches a month including centerfire PRS matches, also he went to many of the the bigger two day regional PRS matches, this as well as NRL22 matches. He far surpassed me in ability level! If I were to go to a NRL22 match now with my 22rf I'd be lucky to finish at 75% of the top shooters whereas he'd be in the running to win.

Just for conversations sake - I think Boyd has the PRS stuff down and is still getting used to becoming familiar with the airgun part of it(probably the extra windage needed and shooting a lighter gun than he normally does).
I'm assuming that Dubber has the airgun part down and is getting used to the PRS stuff. There are a ton of small things one learns that give a slight edge in the PRS stuff and those things generally don't get learned except by competing, watching others, getting advice, then learning to implement them.

In PRS and NRL there is some strategy involved. I learned the hard way that if one isn't careful to make the right decision during a stage that that stage can become a big fat zero(as in no points earned). Not many shooting sports around where one can zero a stage, lol. The KYL stages are one type. I've literally either won or lost a match solely based on the decision I made on this stage, lol!!! I kinda hate KYL's.

Boyd, others, maybe you could chime in and give some pointers/advice concerning NRL/PRS??? Other than "don't miss", lol.

According to the NRL rules you can't use the 44 grain slugs. The slugs have to be under 40 grains. Is this not a big problem with the match directors or do they not know ?
It was a good day to just shoot along with some of the high-end shooters. I was allowed to shoot, but I wasn't counted.

Reactions: woogie_man
I'm shooting a .25 FX Impact X with Slug A liner and Athlon Midas BTR gen2 4.5-27x scope, and NSA 43.5 slugs at 950 fps. I REALLY wanted to love the NSA 38.9 at 1000 FPS, and they were accurate, but not quite as accurate in the wind as the 43.5's at 950 FPS. I also tried the ZAN 41's from both the Slug A and Superior Heavy and neither had the accuracy of the NSA in the Slug A...