• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Guns .30 and larger that make 215 ft/lb out of the box for Texas Hunting.

As mentioned
No one seems to know how the muzzle energy will be tested if required by an officer. I would hazard a guess they may not know either at this point.

Clayton Wolf (TPWD) who was in charge of the changes "might" have an idea though!
I'm guessing most wardens won't know/be able to test the gun in the field. I think all they will be concerned about it that it's .30 cal

I didn't realize the standard was set so high for energy. I am guessing, but this is most likely for large game, such as deer? I know that many have videos easily hunting large bore with 100 FPE with 30 cals. So this must be a different category.
yes the stats i stated are for large game deer hog allegator ect. the smaller game can be taken coyote and smaller with a .25cal at anything over 50fpe is my guess. but your .30 is great for coyote squirrel raccoon ect. yeah that is why i got this big bore , i was shopping for the airgun you are holding and ended up with this .357 and i do not regret it one bit. i can send a 160gr out my 10rd mag and i have sent a 200gr at 923fps so that is gonna kill any deer, 375fpe + is gonna break both sides of the collar bone as it destroys the heart and lungs , it will break the neck if you hit the head. done deal for $610 and the price of a emperor mod$240 aned my utg bi-pod 360 (it swivels and holds my gun upright) and i got an extra 10round mag cause i shot the first 10 rds and i still had air and was shooting at over 900fps. so i shot another 10 round string at velocities of the cheapo challenger 35 and i am happy with this air rifle. dont want to buy the .30 anymore and ive got a thousand rds jsb44.75 and another thousand 50grain hollowpoint slugs. so eventually ill buy one of the semi auto air guns aea has but not quite yet. oh i use the gx l3 compresser and so far its good.

airgun3.jpg

slugs3.jpg

i do so love this air rifle and most of the kit i have will transfer to my next airgun, well if i can find .495cal molds other than round ball i will buy a .50cal big bore. but if not idk, i really want a .510barrel but none of those airguns can shoot 6 out of the mag.

only one can do that and it is .495 darn chineese , they dont want people to take any of the 50bmg ammo they have laying all over and put it into an air anything. so they make .495 barrels like the di*ks they are...

The Slayer.308 and .357 easily make that power requirement and are accurate to boot. Unfortunately difficult to get, next to that the Bushbuck is an excellent quality gun capable of extreme long range kills out beyond 160 very accurately. I almost wanted to mention the New Rattler but it's just shy of the requirements in.30 caliber. These are all higher end of the quality that reflects in the price. Many consider the cheapest option for meeting power requirements but fail to consider proven accuracy of some of these offerings, I think this is an overlooked consideration. Plenty of offerings that provide power, I won't mention a few well known products as examples but the accuracy is terrible.

Really gotta get up there for a true walk on/off hunt! Getting spoiled with ranch permissions with carts and whatnot.

My Hatsan Piledriver .457 was right around $1100 and works great for hogs, deer, coyotes. Mine’s been flawless and is way past TX req’s. Crap on Hatsan for other stuff I guess but its been working really well since day 1. Different ammo and weights work well too, from 250gr’s to 400gr’s, really likes NSA and Griffin.

Really gotta get up there for a true walk on/off hunt! Getting spoiled with ranch permissions with carts and whatnot.

My Hatsan Piledriver .457 was right around $1100 and works great for hogs, deer, coyotes. Mine’s been flawless and is way past TX req’s. Crap on Hatsan for other stuff I guess but its been working really well since day 1. Different ammo and weights work well too, from 250gr’s to 400gr’s, really likes NSA and Griffin.
just wondering what are the velocities of those slugs in your hatsan 45cal. cause my .357 has been laying down .45cal air gun power . sent a 200grain down range at 920fps. thats like 375fpe not something most .357 air guns do. enjoy your hatsan i cannot stand their cylinder mags or the system to spin them, if that goes out its not like using another mag if it goes out your gun is broke till its fixed and i need a tank that is unstoppable. and once they get the regulators out for this model ill have accuracy too. for now i memorize the shot string so on any shot i know what its gonna do and i adjust for that. great gun though its not your fault i dont like hatsan.

The Slayer.308 and .357 easily make that power requirement and are accurate to boot. Unfortunately difficult to get, next to that the Bushbuck is an excellent quality gun capable of extreme long range kills out beyond 160 very accurately. I almost wanted to mention the New Rattler but it's just shy of the requirements in.30 caliber. These are all higher end of the quality that reflects in the price. Many consider the cheapest option for meeting power requirements but fail to consider proven accuracy of some of these offerings, I think this is an overlooked consideration. Plenty of offerings that provide power, I won't mention a few well known products as examples but the accuracy is terrible.
thing is none of the air rifles over .35cal are tremendously accurate. i mean this aea gun can do an inch and a half or better with someone else shooting it. heck i am blind cant shoot accurate for anything so i have to set the gun to not need accuracy.like preparing the landscape to funnel an animal(deer or hog) them into a long stretch of area where i get a shot and cannot miss just listening for the animal to be in a certain area and be causeing that area to be making certain sounds and ill know i can put my air rifle in a certain spot and the projectile will head in a proven direction and once hit the animal cannot leave that funnel of branches,trees and vines. if i am not in that choke point an animal can move freely through that area but if i am there by the time that animal can notice me its way too late. but i have not been out this year with this airgun renewing my super combo license next week

just wondering what are the velocities of those slugs in your hatsan 45cal. cause my .357 has been laying down .45cal air gun power . sent a 200grain down range at 920fps. thats like 375fpe not something most .357 air guns do. enjoy your hatsan i cannot stand their cylinder mags or the system to spin them, if that goes out its not like using another mag if it goes out your gun is broke till its fixed and i need a tank that is unstoppable. and once they get the regulators out for this model ill have accuracy too. for now i memorize the shot string so on any shot i know what its gonna do and i adjust for that. great gun though its not your fault i dont like hatsan.
350gr around 920fp, first shot on a 4k psi fill. no mag, no regulator.

smiles thats 658fpe as much as the .50cal aea big bore. thats nice, still wouldnt touch a hatsan magazine or air rifle besides my mod 130. but it makes me think about the .457 aea big bore and what it can do. course ive found a couple .500 diameter molds and a resizing die for .495 and lee breach lock press and dies. so alot of work to get a size they should already have molds for.
and thati have not pushed my breach to find exactly how big a bullet i can put in there. i believe my .357 can fit a 245 grain bullet and my guess is it would fly at around 850 cause the 200gr s fly at 920fps for me

HiIHatsan Bully in .45 will do it but only for maybe 3 shots before needing air. Also did you notice that Texas has the same power regulations for a racoon as it does for a whitetail deer. What moron is responsible for that?
Actually alligator, big horn sheep, whitetail and mule deer, javalina, pronghorn and turkey all have the 30 cal 215 fpe minimum requirement. Furbearers do have 30 cal pcp requirement but no power restrictions. Testing to see if your gun meets minimum power requirements seems unlikely unless you are in violation of something else or the gun you are using out of box does not meet minimum levels. Would not be a bad idea to alert warden if using such a gun. And let him know it has been modified to meet minimums before you hunt with it. Because would think to test they will confiscate the gun.

smiles, you have never come across an angry large raccoon, my aunt had to (the rest of that statement is left unsaid as it comes close to talking about something ya cant talk about) peacemaker so yeah id say you really need something bigger than a .30 for a raccoon. whereas an allegator will die with a pen knife(willie on swamp people did one like that)
the reason i note my airgun is because every shot before shot 20 will be over the minimum the point is just to be responsible. and unless you mess up the meat being an over acheiver is not going to be frowned on.