Gun, Platform, Caliber, & Shot Placement Choice.

Today I had a couple of choices to make. I saw a few squirrels raiding my Pecan tree as I was set to make me some coffee and sprung into action. I generally keep one or two guns by the back door just for this reason. Today I had the FX Wildcat and the Weihrauch HW95 standing by, both in .177. Which one did I reach for & why? Once I had a shot on one of them, I had another choice to make: Head or Tails? .......I mean Head or Vitals? What did I go for? As for the caliber, that was a choice as well. I could have gotten the .22 Veteran without much ado, but, I wanted to take one with my .177, it's been a while. 

The gun choice came down to "Which one is reliable to put the pellet where I want it?" So basically, consistency and reliability. I grabbed the HW95 in 12fpe! While the Wildcat has been, for the most part, tamed, honestly, I don't trust it on the first shot. 

So, down to pellet choice and shot placement. Well, this guns really like the JSB Hades. Can shoot them at 1/2" at 30 yards all day long, so, that was that. Shot placement, Vitals! Why? Because I did not want to take a chance and I wanted to prove a point. 

I took the shot from my shooting bench at almost exactly 30 yards, it decided to munch on a pecan right next to my rubber mulch target box. Bad choice, really bad choice. Squeezed the trigger and had a solid hit! Squirrel jumped straight up in the air and ran about one yard away from me. I was watching it through the scope, I saw it sit there for half a second and it was all over. No break dancing, no Mexican jumping bean, it just wilted away and stayed put. 

The pellet did not pass through, instead, it stopped just before exiting the other side. Not much expansion to speak of, but it did it's job admirably. After doing a proper autopsy, it was evident that this was a straight up double lung shot. Extremely humane and effective.

Entrance wound:

6CE102F0-89BF-495D-9F96-E3150E2208EF.1606675131.jpeg

“Sub-dermal” exit wound:

6DB0F5F8-DAA9-4D49-9240-247713A4A5AA.1606675070.jpeg

Internal damage:
B3A317AA-9A06-490C-9EA5-5961261FD07B.1606675026.jpeg

So, as a follow up, that afternoon I managed to snag another one. Decided to take the shot with the Wildcat instead. Favorite pellet is the JSB 13.43 Monsters. Almost same scenario, squirrel jumped up and ran about 1 yard, laid down......then got up and kept going. I did manage to find it not more than 10 yards away. At 19fpe the shot was a pass through and had hit a little lower, but it took it's toll nonetheless. 

I hit two more today with the 12fpe HW95, one fell straight down and did not even move an inch. The other jumped up and ran under my workshop. I have not recovered it yet, buy I am sure it did not go far as it was a straight on shot to the chest as it was facing me and sitting on it's hind legs. Will edit if / when I find it.