Gun flexability, or gun numbers...which?

As an interesting side question: if you have a quick change rifle, what caliber does it spend most of its time as?
For me one has to always be setup as standard power for .22 cal with pellets. which means 25 - 30 fpe with 18 gr. pellets. Another one has to always be setup as a standard power for .25 cal with pellets. So 25 gr. JSB @ 43 - 60 fpe. One has to always be setup as standard power for .30 cal with pellets. So 44 gr. JSB @ 80 fpe give or take 10 fpe. The other one has been a .177 with a 320mm barrel @ 12 fpe, .25 with 380mm barrel at 36 fpe and a 700 mm .30 at 90 fpe. So 3 that have dedicated setups and another that gets switched around when a special circumstance shows up that requires something different.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
I've collected a few over the years tuned at various settings and left there. Those rifles aren't as easily tuned as today's little magical wonders. For the last couple of years I've been only using 2. Both are RTI rifles. The prophet performance P1 in 22 set up shooting heavy pellets and it's little brother the P1 compact. The compact I swap calibers on and set up for a task I have in mind. ( I mainly only use the compact now a days) Easily tuned as I have everything written down so its just a matter of minutes and it ready. I like having one that I can swap barrels and tune accordingly and one I keep on higher power.

I like dedicated rifles. For pesting I am running this:

CZ200 177 12 FPE 10x fixed scope Easy to range anywhere in my yard 10y-30y- Invasive lizards and daylight rodents

Brocock Concept Lite 22 27 FPE Pard DS35-50. This is set to take any unwanted guests at the bird feeder day or night.

Snowpeak P35 25 cal 37 FPE. Pard 008S. If I get a big raccoon or coyote it’s ready. Max distance 30y.

*The Brocock I have has an adjustable transfer port. At the lowest setting it is shooting a 16gr 514 fps, so 9 FPE. I use this for rats at night at my feeder 18 y away. It is a 20 MOA holdover and is very accurate at that distance. Very nice having this option without having to adjust the scope. Also very quiet.

I want it all... and I want it now... 😉

My Delta Wolf is my overall favorite and I have 177, 20, 22, 25, and 30 cal setups for it. Takes less than 5 minutes to swap probe and barrel, and if I need to , shroud. Punch in the preset tune or velocity in Factory mode and ready to go.... fully tuned rifle. Interesting side note is that the scope is most always near the same zero.

Our Red Wolfs are similarly caliber and projectile swappable...

That said, I really like to shoot different rifles just because they're different... so I'll generally have a couple somewhere close that are just great to pick up and shoot...

Bob
@Arzrover - fascinating about the scope!!!

It IS interesting... the barrels of all cals have been quite consistent, related to each other. Further proof would be how little the normal removing and reinstalling the barrel affects zero. It's most typical for me to not change it even 1 click but sometimes it might require a couple. I even have a separate scope and mount for EFT and FT SET for the appropriate barrel/projectile and those do not need rezeroing when changing it all.

Bob

I discovered shooting powder burners that there’s no such thing as a gun that does everything well. You can try and have at least some success but you’ll be compromising somewhere. I am fortunate to haven able to put together a nice collection of air rifles and much of my success is because of what I learned here. I keep a break barrel in my truck as it’s capable, travels well and doesn’t need a bunch of support equipment like pumps and so on. I have some classics because I like them such as the Blue Streak and 760. I have a couple of serious competition guns and some just for fun. I can just pick a gun for a specific purpose and don’t really want to have to adjust one gun for multiple uses. if I did i have no doubt it would be set up for the wrong use from what I want to do at that moment. I prefer to have different guns for more or less specific uses and am able to do so.

Rick H.

Last edited:
I have a Maverick Compact in 25. This has been one of my favorites since the day I bought it and it has always been an exceptional shooter.
At one point in time I got a 22 Compact barrel kit for it. Every time I changed it I missed the extra power the 25 provided.
This winter I joined an indoor league and put the 22 kit back on the gun. I never shot it well, so bought a 600mm barrel and shroud for it. It shot better so it stayed on the gun. Two weeks ago the ground squirrels came out in force. On a him I bought some RMR Slap slugs to try in it. Not wanting to change my tune which had my power wheel. @ 3, I adjusted it to 6 and was very surprised at how well the RMR’s shot. Bumped it to 7 and they got a bit better.
The gun shot both the JSB 25.39 pellets and the RMR slugs quite well.
If you want to shoot multiple projectiles I would suggest a barrel length of 600mm or longer. I have tried several times to get slugs to shoot out of my compact in both 22 and 25. The results were never good.

I like having a fun setup for each task. I tried doing the multi barrel setup with the fx maverick. Sounds cool but then there is a lot of tuning involved between each swap. Of course you can right down all your tuning settings for each setup and hopefully you will have it the same. I like that I can pick up the gun I need on a whim if/when the opportunity arises