• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gun cylinder pressure release??

If it's a PCP, you should always have air in the tank or cylinder. How much air to be left in the tank is subjective and debatable. You don't want to have it completely empty otherwise the o-rings that keep it pressurized will dry out and rot. 

I usually keep my PCPs' aired up at around the regulator's set point or a little above if it's not in use. For example, if one of my PCP's regulator is set at 130 BAR, I leave about 140-150 BAR in it. If it's a gun that I use on a daily or weekly basis like my Leshiy 2, I leave it at 200-250 BAR.

For multi-pump pneumatics like a Benjamin 397/392, leave a couple pumps left in it when not in use. I wish I had known that info when I was a kid and my Benjamin and Sheridan pump guns would have lasted longer lol.

You don't want to have it completely empty otherwise the o-rings that keep it pressurized will dry out and rot.

This is asked as a legitimate question and not one that is barbed or with the intent to argue or cause conflict:

In a PCP which should only be filled with clean dry air — what is the difference to the seals at 0, 50, 100, 200, etc bar? If 1 bar (IE no vacuum and at atmospheric pressure) which was once $x bar of clean dry air what does it matter to the seals with respect to dryness?

I could see perhaps deformation and increased wear if repeated below regulator or reasonable pressure (such as 1-100 bar) coupled with standard fill was done often.

Again, this is an honest ask and not a quip or attempt to insult. Thanks!

Pcp guns are suppose to be leave charge up. So whats the point of releasing pressure? Some pcp have a hex screw you can turn to release the air so you can work on your guns. Pcp are not meant to be store empty. That is actually bad for them. I leave my pcp full charge year round even when not in used. Never had a problem. If I leave a pcp empty, after a few months I try to refill it, there will be a leak. So leave it charge up.

You don't want to have it completely empty otherwise the o-rings that keep it pressurized will dry out and rot.

This is asked as a legitimate question and not one that is barbed or with the intent to argue or cause conflict:

In a PCP which should only be filled with clean dry air — what is the difference to the seals at 0, 50, 100, 200, etc bar? If 1 bar (IE no vacuum and at atmospheric pressure) which was once $x bar of clean dry air what does it matter to the seals with respect to dryness?

I could see perhaps deformation and increased wear if repeated below regulator or reasonable pressure (such as 1-100 bar) coupled with standard fill was done often.

Again, this is an honest ask and not a quip or attempt to insult. Thanks!

No problem at all. There's a handful of AGN members here that are way more qualified than I am at giving you more of a scientific response to your question. In my rationalization, yes, o-ring deformation is one of them. Also, I believe it has something do with keeping tension on the regulator's spring cup washers and valve seat. Hopefully someone can chime in to correct me if I'm wrong or they have some insight. 

My main concern is hunting or pest control. Let's say for example that I want to take a shot at a pigeon with my regulated PCP that's been sitting for a month. The regulator's set point is at 130 BAR but I keep it stored at 140 BAR. This would allow me to take one or two shots with the required velocity needed to get the job done. If I take the shot at distance when the gun is stored at 50 BAR or 100 BAR, then the velocity would be a lot lower. Hence the saying, "coming off the regulator". Also, a lot of manufacturers recommend not to shoot below the regulator's set point but no scientific reason is given.

In a non-regulated PCP and after determining your bell curve in the shot string, if you fill to 200 BAR and determined that you have to refill at 130 BAR, I would not take a shot at game below 130 BAR. If I'm storing the gun, i would shoot it down to somewhere halfway between 130-200 BAR or 165 BAR. That would be somewhere at the top of the bell curve depending on the temperature when the shot is taken. Hopefully someone can explain it better than I can because I'm interested as well.

Thanks guys
Sorry I didn’t mention that it’s an HW-100
What prompted my question was something I read in the instruction manual.
It says “After about 20 refills OR if you don’t use the gun for 4 weeks, you need to remove the cylinder and drain the condensed water”. 
Sounds plausible because I need to do that with my garage compressor.
Since no one mentioned anything about that I’m curious about the necessity to do that 🤔

How will you fill the tank, which fills the PCP cylinder, which potentially introduces the moisture to the cylinder which requires you to remove the cylinder to drain the moisture?

Will probably be using a dive shop or paintball facility.
I have no idea why the manufacturer suggests that condensation would occur when the forum members make no mention of it.
I’m new to this whole thing so That’s why I posted the question