• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Gun comparison

I'm so far down the PRS airgun rabbit hole that I can no longer see daylight. I decided to mock up the major airguns that are designed for PRS/NRL shooting so I could get a feel for the differences (see edit below). The main metric I'm looking at is the fore end depth, as well as the fore end depth compared to the top of the scope. I found images of everything except the Air Maks Katran N, so I'm using the Katran X HP (just imagine it has a nicer buttstock and a longer M-Lok rail).

(Edit: I know there are other differences between these guns. The main thing I'm comparing here is the physical dimensions of the fore ends. This doesn't need to be a discussion about barrels, regulators, price, customer support, country of origin, etc. Just looking at how small of a space you can stick these guns and still see through the scope.)

I tried my best to size all of the images so that they are comparable. I used the grip height to do this. I also used the grip height as my reference box for the fore end depth for top of barrel to bottom of fore end (black box). The red box is the top of pic rail to bottom of trigger guard (the box is black for the RAW because the gun is red). The green box is a 56ish diameter scope objective. This allows me to use the orange box to show a reference for the top of the scope to the bottom of the rail. I used the dimension of the Panthera as my baseline for this. My vertical grips on various guns measure 4.25" to 4.5", so we can act like the black box is 4.25 ish inches tall.

To be clear, all of the black boxes, red boxes and orange boxes are the same size. I didn't adjust for MOA in the pic rails but I don't think it would make too much difference.

So here are some things I've observed:
  • The FX DRS Pro has the best (shortest) fore end depth. However, the Panthera is pretty close, and the scope top to rail bottom is much better on the Panthera. No point in having a short fore end depth if you still can't see through the scope.
  • Other than the pic rail to trigger guard measurement, the Karma Red Panda is very similar to the Panthera.
  • The RAW in the MPA chassis has some problems with fore end depth. Switching to a tube instead of the bottle wouldn't help because the chassis would still be the chassis.
  • The Katran came out better than I thought it would. Just needs some low rings and I think it would work fine. (Comparing the Katran to the Panthera was the main reason for me doing all of this).
  • I didn't show this, but I made a box that was 5 inches tall and checked each gun to see if the arca rail was sitting in a 5 inch slot, how much of the scope was usable. The FXes and Red Panda were fine. The Katran had about 3/4 of the scope usable (which I can live with on the rare occasions where I need to shoot from a 5 inch slot). The RAW was not usable. You would have to rest the gun on the bipod spigot in this situation.
  • I never noticed how high the pic rail is on the DRS Pro until now. I don't think I like that.
  • The MPA chassis is pretty sick. For $1,300, it better be. (That's just the chassis, you still have to buy a RAW to put in it).
  • MPA makes a chassis for the FX Crown as well, but the fore end is even deeper than the RAW so I didn't use it.

Here is the image. It's not perfect, but it's what I have to work with for now.

View attachment 447938
If you plan on shooting .22 caliber 40 grains they won't fit in the drs pro magazine

Nice work Scotton! Great info for us to ponder.

The guy in the photo/Rob has been shooting the tactical match scene for about as long as when these started. We've competed in the past a few times however we weren't squaded together. He's a good shot finishing higher up the roster or winning matches, is a nice person, and very knowledgeable about anything PRS or NRL.

I think I heard on a Red Panda video that the barrel is a bull barrel so I wonder what the diameter is and what system is used to attach the barrel to the receiver.
Also wonder if the Red Panda chassis is strong enough to allow extra weights mounted farther down the forend for perfectly balancing on a bag without stressing out the chassis and action. That as compared to the DRX Pro with that thick heavy duty chassis system. It looks like there is a lot of weight on the back of the Red Panda which isn't ideally where one would want the weight.
The diameter of the bull barrel on the red panda is .92 or .96 inches, I can't remember wich one of the two it is. I believe it was .92"