• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Gun/caliber

Hello,
I am going to start ahooting some benchrest here after surgery around June after recovery. ... Like I said this will be for N50 pellet and here at my range. Non tethered also. I'm willing to save up for a quality rifle and scope.
N50 is geared for real benchrest where best equipment and skills are paramount. Saving up for a quality dedicated rifle, scope and rest are worthy goals. In the mean time run what ya brung, learn and enjoy. Shooters are high quality people and will work hard to help you as you come up.
Here are the archived yearly results and rifles used. https://www.national50.net/archive

Last edited:
N50 is geared for real benchrest where best equipment and skills are paramount. Saving up for a quality dedicated rifle, scope and rest are worthy goals. In the mean time run what ya brung, learn and enjoy. Shooters are high quality people and will work hard to help you as you come up.
Here are the archived yearly results and rifles used. https://www.national50.net/archive
Yeah, I will probably start with rti to learn more and it seems like a one piece rest is what a lot of serious folks use. I will be just competing locally. I like being a part of the shooting and not just pull the trigger. I want to get behind the gun and feel it. Like I said I'm going to try it after my surgery recovery and see. Thanks again for the info

Reactions: Loufish
Yeah, I will probably start with rti to learn more and it seems like a one piece rest is what a lot of serious folks use. I will be just competing locally. I like being a part of the shooting and not just pull the trigger. I want to get behind the gun and feel it. Like I said I'm going to try it after my surgery recovery and see. Thanks again for the info
If I did go one piece I'm Guessing Randolph ?

@drsquall , I used a .22 Prophet 1 with the LR barrel very successfully for a couple of seasons of N50. It is more than capable against most any rifle out there except for possibly a Thomas. Save your money and learn to shoot what you already have. Its a FANTASTIC rifle for BR plinking and matches! Purchase a long extended pic rail and rear bag rider direct from RTI. Install a 3D printed cheek rest from eBay and stock up on FX or JSB 25.4 pellets and have fun. Your Cricket is also quite capable as well but the cost of .30 ammo compared to the .22 will be more costly to shoot, especially through your learning curve.
I guess I better not sell it then. Lol

If I did go one piece I'm Guessing Randolph ?
There may be better rests but the differences are probably small. Randolph offers extreme flexibility in adjustment to accommodate stock length for best tune support. Controls are right next to each other below the trigger - less body reach. It’s heavy - made with thicker plate. Several tops are available and Arnold makes a ball bearing roller top too. Seekers of the magic combo have tried every top design made.
I can’t speak of the SEB-like stick rests but some like them.
Buy a bunch of different pellet lots and be prepared to turn many into sinkers.
Good luck Dr. it’s going to be a wild ride.

Edit. Note hand controls placement. Note adjustable rear stock support
IMG_0308.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: drsquall
There may be better rests but the differences are probably small. Randolph offers extreme flexibility in adjustment to accommodate stock length for best tune support. Controls are right next to each other below the trigger - less body reach. It’s heavy - made with thicker plate. Several tops are available and Arnold makes a ball bearing roller top too. Seekers of the magic combo have tried every top design made.
Thanks again

Reactions: Loufish
You can't go wrong with either Thomas or Raw for Benchrest. They are pretty much the top of the food chain that are designed for benchrest. The pinnacle might be order a Thomas 22 HP and have Steve Corcorran build you a custom wood stock for it!:p
I really LOVE my RAW's, I have 6 or 7 of them. Can't recall right offhand!
Scope would be a 36X or higher fine crosshair or target dot, Sightron, Leupold, old Weaver, March.
Thx
Dan

Last edited:

Edit. Note hand controls placement. Note adjustable rear stock support
View attachment 437175
That's the gun style I was looking at in 22.