• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Gun/caliber

drsquall

Jul 22, 2022
OK
Hello,
I am going to start ahooting some benchrest here after surgery around June after recovery. Never have done it with anything. I have a 30cal cricket 2 that I use for eft tuned by Derrick with 56 grain Zans or a RTI prophet 1 with the 22lr barrel I could use but what about a dedicated bench gun? Here they shoot the N50 and I honestly doubt I'll ever go to the Ebr,Rmac stuff just to far and have to burn to much vacation. Now I have the wide bipod everyone uses and a cheap rear bag. Is that a common setup for N50? I know I don't want a one piece rest. What about the cheaper Caldwell front joystick rest? Anyway my real question is what gun and I'm guess probably 22 or 25. I actually want a stock on the gun that I actually put my cheek on. I was thinking a raw. I'm lefty also. Like I said this will be for N50 pellet and here at my range. Non tethered also. I'm willing to save up for a quality rifle and scope.

Thanks
Jon

I already ready got the flag setup. Thanks to Derrick showing me.

I have been doing some research And I will have three months off from work to really research it.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am going to start ahooting some benchrest here after surgery around June after recovery. Never have done it with anything. I have a 30cal cricket 2 that I use for eft tuned by Derrick with 56 grain Zans or a RTI prophet 1 with the 22lr barrel I could use but what about a dedicated bench gun? Here they shoot the N50 and I honestly doubt I'll ever go to the Ebr,Rmac stuff just to far and have to burn to much vacation. Now I have the wide bipod everyone uses and a cheap rear bag. Is that a common setup for N50? I know I don't want a one piece rest. What about the cheaper Caldwell front joystick rest? Anyway my real question is what gun and I'm guess probably 22 or 25. I actually want a stock on the gun that I actually put my cheek on. I was thinking a raw. I'm lefty also. Like I said this will be for N50 pellet and here at my range. Non tethered also. I'm willing to save up for a quality rifle and scope.

Thanks
Jon

I already ready got the flag setup. Thanks to Derrick showing me.

I have been doing some research And I will have three months off from work to really research it.
https://protektormodel.com/collections/complete-rest-sets
this is what i use (the #1 set) with the slippery cloth feature (best for airguns ) Stan in KY

@drsquall , I used a .22 Prophet 1 with the LR barrel very successfully for a couple of seasons of N50. It is more than capable against most any rifle out there except for possibly a Thomas. Save your money and learn to shoot what you already have. Its a FANTASTIC rifle for BR plinking and matches! Purchase a long extended pic rail and rear bag rider direct from RTI. Install a 3D printed cheek rest from eBay and stock up on FX or JSB 25.4 pellets and have fun. Your Cricket is also quite capable as well but the cost of .30 ammo compared to the .22 will be more costly to shoot, especially through your learning curve.

Hi drsquall
Jumping into benchrest with full speed, or wanting to tread the waters?
I'd really try a match or 2 with the equipmemnt you have before the wallet drain begins. What you use really doen't matter as long as you can make the best of it . Seen guys with concrete blocks and a sack of rice.
Do you have a local club to join and compete?
N50 pellet class and sportsman slug class will accomodate both of your rifles. Pro class is for .177 and .22
US air rifle benchrest only accepts .177,.20 and .22
I have heard good things about the RTI with lr barrel...you should be able to give it a good effort with that rifle.
For starting, i would just use bags, just to see if i liked the events. What you already have is fine.
I really like the bags that Beerthief suggested...they are an investment, and unless you are going to be really getting involved, i would go cheaper at first.
A quality scope is a must. go for clarity over magnification. Doesn't help you if you have a 40x zoom that is to dark to see in dim conditions.
If you want a RAW ..I'd go to the source and ask Martin Rutterford to build one. You can contact him 931-638-0241
hope this helps
Mike

Reactions: drsquall
Hi drsquall
Jumping into benchrest with full speed, or wanting to tread the waters?
I'd really try a match or 2 with the equipmemnt you have before the wallet drain begins. What you use really doen't matter as long as you can make the best of it . Seen guys with concrete blocks and a sack of rice.
Do you have a local club to join and compete?
N50 pellet class and sportsman slug class will accomodate both of your rifles. Pro class is for .177 and .22
US air rifle benchrest only accepts .177,.20 and .22
I have heard good things about the RTI with lr barrel...you should be able to give it a good effort with that rifle.
For starting, i would just use bags, just to see if i liked the events. What you already have is fine.
I really like the bags that Beerthief suggested...they are an investment, and unless you are going to be really getting involved, i would go cheaper at first.
A quality scope is a must. go for clarity over magnification. Doesn't help you if you have a 40x zoom that is to dark to see in dim conditions.
If you want a RAW ..I'd go to the source and ask Martin Rutterford to build one. You can contact him 931-638-0241
hope this helps
Mike
OKC does a monthly N50 match I have some gen 2 razor 4.5-27 ffp mil I could use but I want higher mag I think. Martin has a raw hm1000x in the chassis in 22 he's converting to 177 for FT for me. I haven't been doing the pcp game about 2 yrs now and I realized I'm not a tinkier or like to tune. I will tune it and leave it alone. So the raw or Thomas seem idiot proof for me. I know people like the impact but I've witnesssd 3 good friends go from loving their m3 to never shooting them again and they are much more seasoned then me.

All I have is a rock Jr and I little rear bag. Like I said I have surgery Tuesday and will be off work for 3 months so will have time to research. I just know from shooting rifles off benches for sighting in and tuning I think I want something that makes it easier to transition from target to target with much changing of a solid cheek weld and getting completely off gun

Thanks
Jon

My number one problem is I like PCP but I am a springer Guy. I just ordered a left-handed TX pro sport to tune it for Field Target. How many guys realistically shoot 177 springer class at in 50 matches? I'm guessing 0 to 2 maybe more like zero. so to be honest with you the PCP is so I can play but I would rather play with a piston gun

Hi Jon
If you have the funds to comfortably afford a Thomas...then get it. No doubts.
I love my RAW..it is my best rifle i own.
If i had the neceaary funds, a Thomas would be my next purchase, but they are kinda atmospheric in price (worth it).
but after you get that...your other gear will seem lackluster in comparison...domino effect
Mike
p.s. don't think i know a BR shooter that didn't tinker with their equipment :unsure:

My number one problem is I like PCP but I am a springer Guy. I just ordered a left-handed TX pro sport to tune it for Field Target. How many guys realistically shoot 177 springer class at in 50 matches? I'm guessing 0 to 2 maybe more like zero. so to be honest with you the PCP is so I can play but I would rather play with a piston gun
try an diana 54 Air king for springer br ...the recoil is dampend by their dual recoil system

If you don”t like the top heavy feel of the RTI then use your wide base AccuTac bi pod and it takes that feel away. You can also mount a 3” wide block / bag rider on the bottom of the pic rail and use that set up in a 3” wide front rest and that too will take much of the top heaviness away.

I’ve owned 3 RAWs and 2 extra barrels and none of them could outshoot my Prophet. It’s a great high quality rifle and I am not bashing them. I’m embarrassed to say how many top end rifles I’ve owned and none of them could outshoot the Prophet until I got my Thomas. There is a thread in this forum about an Iranian guy who posted some scores from one of their national matches and almost all of them were shooting RTIs.

If you don”t like the top heavy feel of the RTI then use your wide base AccuTac bi pod and it takes that feel away. You can also mount a 3” wide block / bag rider on the bottom of the pic rail and use that set up in a 3” wide front rest and that too will take much of the top heaviness away.

I’ve owned 3 RAWs and 2 extra barrels and none of them could outshoot my Prophet. It’s a great high quality rifle and I am not bashing them. I’m embarrassed to say how many top end rifles I’ve owned and none of them could outshoot the Prophet until I got my Thomas. There is a thread in this forum about an Iranian guy who posted some scores from one of their national matches and almost all of them were shooting RTIs.
I've got the wide accu one. I will see.

I would recommend shooting a dozen targets or more with what you have before buying a new gun , sand bags are fine for this stage .
for a lot of bench shooting is setting a routine up (half the battle ). How you approach the bench and set up the gun and rests . where the seat is placed , where the ammo is placed , and all the other little things you need to do before a shot is even thought of . You need to be very comfortable when shooting bench .
All these things are important to success , even if you just shoot at home .

What scope would you recommend?