• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Guess what I saw this morning?

Believe it or not despite our cold here in southwestern PA I've seen some robins that have stuck around.

It is strange that some do. A few stay in Alabama year round but that is the exception. There are many migratory bird species beginning to show up here. I always look forward to seeing them. If it wasn't for attracting the pesky squirrels I would put out feeders. I do scatter very small bird seeds around in the grass & bare spots in the winter months when the hungry migratory birds start coming in. This doesn't appear to attract the pesky squirrels. The squirrels haven't caught on anyway. If they do they will be fed lead.

Robins and juncos are in my yard all year around. Waxwings shows up once a while but I like to eat the berries so I don’t really want them to show up. 😅

Understood. I don't have any of that good stuff yet. They are only here in the winter months and leave in early spring. The stuff the cedar waxwings are eating they are welcome to. I haven't developed an appetite for the waxy berries, sugar berries, china berries, etc. they are devouring. 😂

Robins and juncos are in my yard all year around. Waxwings shows up once a while but I like to eat the berries so I don’t really want them to show up.
1f605.svg

Understood. I don't have any of that good stuff yet. They are only here in the winter months and leave in early spring. The stuff the cedar waxwings are eating they are welcome to. I haven't developed an appetite for the waxy berries, sugar berries, china berries, etc. they are devouring.
1f602.svg

Ah, I don’t have those berries in my tiny little yard. Only berries I have are the ones we planted, blueberries and mulberries. Sorry waxwings, my kids get first dib!!! 🤣😂🤣

That woodpecker has it figured out. I get a kick out of watching them getting the red seeds out of the southern magnolia cones when ripe. Some people think they only peck holes in trees & eat insects. They love my figs too. I am like qball...I don't like sharing figs with the birds. I like fig preserves on pancakes & stuffed in cat head biscuits to good. They even like seeds from bird feeders.

As a kid I captured a Robin that was too drunk to fly. Elder relatives said they get drunk from eating China Berries.

As a young man I was captured for about a year by a young lady named Robin, but I was sober..

Yeah they can get drunk off a variety of fermented berries. Yaupon hollies are said to also ferment especially after a freeze. They have shiny red waxy berries. The cedar waxwings are eating them like candy in my yard.

My neighbor has robins roosting in his yard. 100's of them. They crapped on every square inch of his deck.. I 'll post a pic of his deck.. For processed worms it is nasty!

LOL I would lob a few bottle rockets up at them. I have seen that disperse them.

When I was a small kid an elder told me & another kid that robins tasted exactly like doves. The other kid who was the preachers son & I sat out in my yard with pump up .177 cal pellet rifles and killed a sack full of robins. We took them to his house and cleaned them. They indeed looked like cleaned doves. His mamma cooked robins, french fries, and hush puppies for us. The preacher, his wife, son, & I sat down to a feast. I often think back on that. I remember it well. By the way they tasted like doves. At least we thought they did. I wonder how many preachers would do something like that now days? Yep true story.

The first migratory robins & cedar waxwings of the year showed up at my house. The cedar waxwings are feasting on holly berries, sugar berries, pyracantha berries, and other delectable berries around the yard. The robins are pecking away for worms and other insects.

These birds are absolutely beautiful. They’re getting the holly berries out here too, at least I think there may be holly berries. Don’t know for sure, but they’re small, red, and round growing wild in the woods. I saw a flock of what I thought were robins over the last couple days going nuts in a large sweet gum tree knocking the balls out of the tree. It’s is cold now. I don’t know why I didn’t think about them being on a migratory path.