• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Group Sizes At 40 Yards

On my "Private" shooting range, the one in my backyard, I can only shoot out to 40 yards. Most talk is about groups shot at 25 yards or meters and 50 yards with very little said about 40 yards. Obviously I can tell how my 25 yard groups compare with others. What I want to know is what is considered a good 10 shot group size at 40 yards? The goal at 50 yards appears to be 1/2" for 10 shots but what should be the goal for 40 yards? Naturally, I want to know how my groups shot at 40 yards stack up to everyone else's groups shot at 50 yards. It's the only way I can tell how I am doing compared to everyone else at longer range. For instance, if someone shoots a 1/2", 10 shot group at 50 yards what is a comparable group shot at 40 yards? This inability to compare my groups with others has been driving me nuts. I'll shut up now and see what others have to say. Thanks for your help.

Tim

I can shoot up to 34 yards in my back yard. I did a lot of shooting at 25 yards to compare my grouping with others that shoot at 25 yards. After I saw I was grouping as most of them were, I moved out to my 34 yard marker. With the right wind, I can still maintain my same grouping. I never really thought about what I should look for at that distance, I was just trying to maintain what I did at 25.