• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Groundhog Eats 142gr Slug

Oh my! He took it and ran off to die. It took the energy dump and will definitely perish. The front leg is done; just hanging as he did a nose dive and slid his face as he tried to run.

142gr and no pass through; would love to see the damage the slug did.

Yeah, this is one I won't have to bury. He'll dive down a hole and realize it's now a coffin! I was surprised there was no pass through being that it was that close. That round probably hit a rib, and was nickel sized by the time it stopped expanding!

Probably find him later😯 can’t believe did not pass through,wont be digging any time soon

I scrubbed over that video a few dozen times looking for a round exiting and found nothing! This was as huge of a surprise as when I dropped a smaller groundhog the other day with a Polymag out of the same gun, and it dropped dead face first.

They are tough animals, I've shot hundreds with lotsa different cf. cals, and with any airgun I would only use a brain shot or the animal will make it down it's hole and suffer until death. Shooter should have waited for a clean head shot.

I also prefer headshots, but I prefer ridding my property of pest causing damage more. A lung shot is a valid shot on any game, from groundhogs to deer.

Reactions: rcarlisle
Nice video - and sound track. Wife thought it had started to rain. About 3 days ago she advised me there were a couple of pack rats on our side of the fence on the east side. Grabbed the Hatsan BT65 .30 cal. and the sticks. The bolt action wouldn't function. Had to remove one mag and put another one in. By now there were 3 of 'em. It all worked as expected from this point. About 30 yds,, 3 rounds, 3 retired pack rats. Two of 'em had lost the top of their heads and the third had the insides outside. Should've held a bit lower at that range... No pictures, or video. Just a story. It's a desert environment here, but there's been NO rain all year and creatures are going for her garden... Good spotters are a blessing.

Buck in Willcox

Excellent video
1f4aa.svg

Thank you!

Nice video - and sound track. Wife thought it had started to rain. About 3 days ago she advised me there were a couple of pack rats on our side of the fence on the east side. Grabbed the Hatsan BT65 .30 cal. and the sticks. The bolt action wouldn't function. Had to remove one mag and put another one in. By now there were 3 of 'em. It all worked as expected from this point. About 30 yds,, 3 rounds, 3 retired pack rats. Two of 'em had lost the top of their heads and the third had the insides outside. Should've held a bit lower at that range... No pictures, or video. Just a story. It's a desert environment here, but there's been NO rain all year and creatures are going for her garden... Good spotters are a blessing.

Buck in Willcox

That's a great story! I got a pair of binoculars so I can scan for critters in the distance.

Gentlemen it is quite fashionable these days to sit in caterwauling judgements of others, while in the comforts of our modern technologies. I humbly submit that when those cute little fuzees present themselves, it has always been about quickly ending their life. Now sometimes one will wait hours for that perfect shot, that may never come! Bottom line when any cute fuzees are destroying a food source, any shot is better than no shot. 

"To a warrior, the golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!" ~Col. Jeff Cooper

To say nothing about the damage they do to property. Endeavor to be as humane as possible, but when your home is being damaged sometimes taking the less than ideal shot is the right thing to do. I leave it to the shooter to make that call. Very little doubt this guy didn't last more than a minute or two after the shot. Solid hit!

Reactions: SHOMER
Dang it looks like you hit that thing with a mac truck! Really shocked that he didn't just roll over and die right there, but adrenaline is a hell of a thing. No doubt this pest crawled in a hole and died.

There is a difference between pest control and hunting. Hunting I want the most humane shot and kill as possible, pest control is getting rid of animals at any cost. The amount of damage these guys can do is amazing! They are shoot on sight no matter what at a few places I go, and if the farmer is with and you don't shoot he gets really upset.

Reactions: SHOMER

Gentlemen it is quite fashionable these days to sit in caterwauling judgements of others, while in the comforts of our modern technologies. I humbly submit that when those cute little fuzees present themselves, it has always been about quickly ending their life. Now sometimes one will wait hours for that perfect shot, that may never come! Bottom line when any cute fuzees are destroying a food source, any shot is better than no shot. 

"To a warrior, the golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!" ~Col. Jeff Cooper

Yeah, I come from a time when we called it armchair quarterbacking. 

To say nothing about the damage they do to property. Endeavor to be as humane as possible, but when your home is being damaged sometimes taking the less than ideal shot is the right thing to do. I leave it to the shooter to make that call. Very little doubt this guy didn't last more than a minute or two after the shot. Solid hit!

Every neighbor on my street has had property damage by these furry bastards. One of the reasons I had the NSA 142gr slugs on tap , I was expecting to have to reach out to around 100 yards or more. but to my surprise, this chonk appeared danger close!