Groundhog down

Took out another groundhog yesterday evening. This was my third of the year, with a few more likely to come. These buggers have been destroying my gardens and I tried everything to repel them, nothing worked. It was time to get serious.

Picked up an Origin in 25 caliber specifically for the task. It was my first PCP so I needed a rifle that was hand pump friendly. The Origin fit the bill perfectly.

The groundhog was taken at about 30yds. Was shot in the corner of my backyard. You can see in the photo below my "hunting" setup. Used 32gr H&N Grizzly slugs at 850fps, right around 50fpe at the muzzle.

20220728_183952.jpg

20220729_084025.jpg

Thank you all for the kind words! This was the third one I've eliminated in the past month since getting the Origin. Unfortunately I've only gone 3 for 4 as I had one get away after taking a headshot from about 30yds. I absolutely hit him, but it wasn't broadside like the others, he was facing me at about a 45 degree angle. The first 3 I used hades pellets, most recent was my first attempt with the slugs. I learned my lesson from the one that got away, only broadside headshots from now on. I do wonder if the one that took a hades to the head eventually died? I hear they are very tough critters and now I have first hand experience. Never would have thought he could have survived a 50fpe headshot! I may have slightly pulled that shot, but I'm 100% certain he took it somewhere on his head. When he ran off he was pushing his face into the dirt while running.

Thank you all for the kind words! This was the third one I've eliminated in the past month since getting the Origin. Unfortunately I've only gone 3 for 4 as I had one get away after taking a headshot from about 30yds. I absolutely hit him, but it wasn't broadside like the others, he was facing me at about a 45 degree angle. The first 3 I used hades pellets, most recent was my first attempt with the slugs. I learned my lesson from the one that got away, only broadside headshots from now on. I do wonder if the one that took a hades to the head eventually died? I hear they are very tough critters and now I have first hand experience. Never would have thought he could have survived a 50fpe headshot! I may have slightly pulled that shot, but I'm 100% certain he took it somewhere on his head. When he ran off he was pushing his face into the dirt while running.
I have 22 groundhogs down for the year, while last year I had 23. They are crazy tough critters for certain! I just recently killed a groundhog that I previously shot at 95 yards with my FX Maverick VP .30cal. I could still see the scab from where the first shot hit at 95 yards!

Talk about getting hit with tons of energy and surviving, I've had several that I've hit with 160fpe Benjamin Bulldog .357 bodyshots and they just crawled away to their burrows, more than likely to die. This is not ideal, but it happens to the best of us. I just put a heart lung on a critter yesterday from .30 yards that was just a tad low, but still a solid heart shot, and he took off running like I missed.

I'll be posting video soon.