• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Groundhog control options

I’m wondering what the best option for groundhog control would be. I have a .25 Hatsan vectis and 2 different .22 or rifles. All are scoped. The vectis is probably the most accurate of the 3 and is easily the most rugged and least valuable. Will the vectis effectively kill a groundhog? I don’t have a chronograph and haven’t made any changes other than replacing the stock moderator with a donnyfl.

Reactions: RAMJET66
Yes but go for headshots. I've even used some fairly low powered .22 springers to take them at 30yds. Shot placement is 100% key. I like to go for the side of the head between the eye and ear or straight through the ear. The .25 MAY work with front facing brain shots but it may also ricochet of their skull on occasion. Side of the head is basically guarenteed.

As a side note, after they drop, walk up and point blank them with a second shot into the back of the head. They aren't always as dead as they look. That pretty much verifies it.

I had a small problem with them. As in only 3 were digging up the yard. 17 fpe .177 Polymag short to the side of the head between the eye and ear put them down fast at 46 and 48 yards. The video is posted here somewhere so I won't repost it.
Was that 17 fpe at the muzzle or at the target? Polymags are not going to retain energy very well.

I dispatched two around 25 yards distance with my 14 fpe .177 springer via a well placed headshot.

The smaller one was DRT. The larger one took several follow up shots:( As much as I adore my HW97K it’s not the ideal tool for the job but will work in a pinch.

Was that 17 fpe at the muzzle or at the target? Polymags are not going to retain energy very well.

I dispatched two around 25 yards distance with my 14 fpe .177 springer via a well placed headshot.

The smaller one was DRT. The larger one took several follow up shots:( As much as I adore my HW97K it’s not the ideal tool for the job but will work in a pinch.
17 fpe at the muzzle. I've also taken ground squirrels out to 73 yards with it. The polymag shorts are laser accurate out of the HW100 BP-K.

Reactions: Hard2hurt223