• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ground Squirrel Infestation....Seen It Before

Bwalton

Aug 6, 2015
ca
Infestation.....Seen it before, just been a while. We seen it at other permissions with squirrels as well as rats... Dale and Rich part of the squirrel buster team invited me to help out with this hostile take over. So I suited up and prepared for battle.

So sit back and watch the battle
grin.gif

Reactions: Mayo661
Excellent shooting and good video, but don't like to see them "dance" around after being hit. I fully understand why these critters need to be taken out, went to Colorado once to visit family, and took my .17 HMR. We went to take some of these little buggers out at one of the cattle farmers place (my brother knows the guy), and I nailed a number of them, but up to 100 yards it was lights out...instantly. You are an excellent marksman though, I will give you that! :)

"Bwalton"The death dance is normal, they are done as soon as the pellet hits. GS are programmed to try to get back to the hole. Even though they are already dead.
This happens all the time for me. The homeowner I'm shooting for got to see it today. As I was leaving there was a GS in the front yard at its hole. Shot it and we watched it do a back flip with a nose dive into the hole. Tail twist and twitched his way down.

Nice shooting Bwalton
I myself am a big .25 fan at shooting varmints,
But If your 22 gun is accurate with the 16gr Polymags , They are a super hard hitting little pellet that brings it up almost to the .25 level.
Just saying if I am shooting my .22 18gr JSBs I always try for head shots, but with the polymags I can get away with body shots....
Sometimes the pellet makes a big difference , Old news to Pro shooters like you I am sure.
Mike

"bill_dd97"Thick population there. Sure wish I had such open terrain to shoot.
Ok, guess I did not know that. I have only shot them with a rifle shooting a bullet, and it pretty much takes the head right off, even in a .22 LR and especially in .17 HMR. Guess with no head, there is no more brain activity. I did not know ground squirrels would jerk around like that, even after expiring. 

"crosman2016"Excellent shooting and good video, but don't like to see them "dance" around after being hit. I fully understand why these critters need to be taken out, went to Colorado once to visit family, and took my .17 HMR. We went to take some of these little buggers out at one of the cattle farmers place (my brother knows the guy), and I nailed a number of them, but up to 100 yards it was lights out...instantly. You are an excellent marksman though, I will give you that! :)
Ted made a good video on this subject.

Great shooting.
Looks like too much fun all for a good cause. 
Crazy how you can shoot one squirrel and all the others don't get spooked, which is something I kinda feel bad about. Then again the lil guys make a mess of everything. I have a small GS population of 80-120 or so and seems every time I shoot 10 or 15 in a weekend, 20 new ones appear 
Has to be in the Central Valley of California somewhere with all the flat land. Maybe Fresno area or down by Harris Ranch?

WOW! awesome shooting! I have had a GS overpopulation this year at my place. I've killed 15 in the past couple of weeks. I can only get 2-3 at a time before the Ravens swoop in on the easy meal. I even seen a young Coopers hawk fly off with a corpse, (I didn't think the would eat dead squirrels). once the birds start circling the remaining squirrels head for cover and pretty much ends hunting for the day.